Congressman: ‘I Would Vote To Repeal The Minimum Wage’

Eh, Walmart...I avoid like the plague. The "people of Walmart" photos are reason enough. But its presence does hurt small businesses; especially in small towns.

I've seen Super Walmart(s) arrive in small towns; and like Boa Constrictors squeeze the life out of the "historical districts", or former small businesses. The existence of Big Business will turn a nice area into a ghetto, within 10-20 years.

I've seen Super Walmart(s) arrive in small towns; and like Boa Constrictors squeeze the life out of the "historical districts", or former small businesses.

More choice and lower prices, just awful.

Variety, large quantity, low prices (because many of the products are manufactured in 3rd-world countries); YEAH it is awful.

Darn them, giving their customers what they want, at a low price. Bastards!

I've seen Super Walmart(s) arrive in small towns; and like Boa Constrictors squeeze the life out of the "historical districts", or former small businesses.

More choice and lower prices, just awful.

Variety, large quantity, low prices (because many of the products are manufactured in 3rd-world countries); YEAH it is awful.

Darn them, giving their customers what they want, at a low price. Bastards!

Damn the customers. I'm sure if they wanted to pay more, they could. Or they could just give some cash directly to Wal-Mart employees. Cheap fuckers don't give a damn about the working poor.

Last edited:
Congressman: ‘I Would Vote To Repeal The Minimum Wage’

Congressman: 'I Would Vote To Repeal The Minimum Wage' | ThinkProgress

These people want other people living in shit on the side of the street. The minimum wage demands fairness for the workers.

If you can't get 7.25/hour to hardly pay for food after you're done working. You're no more then a slave. These bastards want Africa, mexico or china for Americans.

That's the conservative idea of how we can compete globally; we'll underbid everyone else.
Right, once the Chinese and Indians open call centers here we'll have achieved the Republican pre-utopia, 2nd world status. Were already there in healthcare and education.

Republicans don't care, they've been brainwashed to hate unions. Right wing hate radio and fox news is paying off better than a rigged slot machine for the multi billionaires who want to turn America into a low wage third world craphole.

Last edited:
When employees are not given health insurance, for example, they get their health insurance through the public health system. Therefore, the employer is getting a subsidy of sorts.
Public money going to a worker is not a subsidy to the company.

It's money the company doesn't have to spend...they have people like you agreeing to provide their employees free healthcare.

Just out of curiosity; if Little Rock, Arkansas agreed to pay the liability insurance for Pizza Hut, Domino's, and all other pizza chain's delivery drivers....would that be a subsidy to you?

What kind of subsidy is it when people in Ohio get free cell phones for their Obama votes? ......:eusa_whistle:

I see the confederate flag and I know it's a post from some low wage advocate that doesn't mind at all other people working for crummy wages because that's what the south was all about. Slavery, low wages, and stoop and bow before the man.

That's the conservative idea of how we can compete globally; we'll underbid everyone else.
Right, once the Chinese and Indians open call centers here we'll have achieved the Republican pre-utopia, 2nd world status. Were already there in healthcare and education.

Republicans don't care, they've been brainwashed to hate unions. Right wing hate radio and fox news is paying off better than a rigged slot machine for the multi billionaires who want to turn America into a low wage third world craphole.

Workers of the world, unite!
Show those rich bastards who own Hostess!!!

How right you are! Predatory capitalists and crooked management should be pilloried.

After Hostess’s unions had agreed to more than $100 million in annual cost concessions during Hostess’s previous bankruptcy, the bakery union thought it made little sense to agree to further cuts. It feared a deal would pull down wages and benefits throughout the industry, without saving Hostess.

“Our consultant said the debt load on the company was too heavy, and that we would be back in bankruptcy and facing liquidation in 12 to 16 months from now, even if we took more concessions,” David B. Durkee, the union’s secretary-treasurer, said.

The bakery union often derided Hostess’s management, saying it was composed of Wall Street investors and “third-tier managers” from nonbaking companies. It said the investors were trying to “resolve the mess by attacking the company’s most valuable asset — its workers.”
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/11/19/hostess-and-bakers-union-agree-to-mediation/?_r=0

I am eating a non union hostess Twinkie right now. Mmmm goooood.

The local Union trashed that company, what was it 4,000 workers taking down 24,000 non Union workers?

I wonder how long McDonald's will continue to exist, in New York City.
The average rent in NYC, is $3000/month, according to this article:

New York City Rents Vault Over $3,000 a Month - WSJ.com

Even at $15/hour, workers will have to have at least 2 jobs. (Many of us did it for years, though, so...) Some of you know the standard cab fare-plus $36,000/year rent, while netting less than $31,000 per year, isn't going to work. McDonald's might want to consider selling their "food" in frozen form, to grocery chains, in NYC. This will have to continue to be what it has traditionally been-an entry-level job, for teens.

There is a McDonalds on Times Square. They manage to pay some of the highest rents in the world. They are willing to pay Times Square rent, but not Times Square wages

is that true? i would like to see an actual link.

:eusa_whistle:

What are you whistling for? I gave you the links.

Where McDonald's wages start near $15 an hour
The fast-food chain already pays Australians what striking US workers want. It just requires some business adjustments and buy-in from consumers.

The Australian way to settle America's fast-food minimum-wage debate

America isn’t typically fond of looking overseas for political inspiration, but, in this case, it may be worth examining Australian labor laws for an elegant solution. The minimum wage in Australia is $16.37 an hour for working adults, more than double the U.S. federal minimum hourly wage of $7.25.

More than a few conservative eyeballs probably just bulged out of their sockets seeing that number. Stay with me, though, because here’s where things get interesting: For 19-year-olds in Australia, the minimum wage is $13.51. For 17-year-olds, it’s $9.46. For 15-year-olds, it’s $6.03.

Were we to establish an Australian-style age-based sliding minimum wage in America, companies such as McDonald’s would naturally look to hire younger, cheaper laborers for entry-level positions, giving them a taste of working life. Teenagers would see their pay automatically rise as they got older and more experienced, which would serve as an incentive for them to stay on the job rather than flaking at the first sign of frustration.

The local Union trashed that company, what was it 4,000 workers taking down 24,000 non Union workers?

No actually, it was Vulture Capitalists like Romney's former Bain that "killed" Hostess.

Vulture capitalism — not unions — killed Twinkies

It’s the story of two bankruptcies, hundreds of millions of givebacks from Hostess unions and hundreds of millions of debt piled onto the company by venture capitalists. It’s a story of management that boosted its own salaries, while failing to make agreed payments into workers’ pension funds. And it’s a story of changing tastes and diets.

But let corporate media tell you that it was the "evil" unions, not the "good" corporations who are only interested in you, to blame! Unfuckingbelievable...

No actually, it was Vulture Capitalists like Romney's former Bain that "killed" Hostess.

Vulture capitalism — not unions — killed Twinkies

It’s the story of two bankruptcies, hundreds of millions of givebacks from Hostess unions and hundreds of millions of debt piled onto the company by venture capitalists. It’s a story of management that boosted its own salaries, while failing to make agreed payments into workers’ pension funds. And it’s a story of changing tastes and diets.

But let corporate media tell you that it was the "evil" unions, not the "good" corporations who are only interested in you, to blame! Unfuckingbelievable...

People believe what they want to believe and disregard the rest. No matter the facts point to a different reality.

Reality means nothing to a right winger.

I wonder how long McDonald's will continue to exist, in New York City.
The average rent in NYC, is $3000/month, according to this article:

New York City Rents Vault Over $3,000 a Month - WSJ.com

Even at $15/hour, workers will have to have at least 2 jobs. (Many of us did it for years, though, so...) Some of you know the standard cab fare-plus $36,000/year rent, while netting less than $31,000 per year, isn't going to work. McDonald's might want to consider selling their "food" in frozen form, to grocery chains, in NYC. This will have to continue to be what it has traditionally been-an entry-level job, for teens.

There is a McDonalds on Times Square. They manage to pay some of the highest rents in the world. They are willing to pay Times Square rent, but not Times Square wages

there is a choice ( sic!) how you can punish them - don't buy their food.
Novel idea, isn't it?

I'm telling you all, the key is to force customers to pay higher prices for goods and services. Then businesses will be able to pay their workers more.

I mean, that's more or less the solution we came up with for health insurance, right?

How right you are! Predatory capitalists and crooked management should be pilloried.

After Hostess’s unions had agreed to more than $100 million in annual cost concessions during Hostess’s previous bankruptcy, the bakery union thought it made little sense to agree to further cuts. It feared a deal would pull down wages and benefits throughout the industry, without saving Hostess.

“Our consultant said the debt load on the company was too heavy, and that we would be back in bankruptcy and facing liquidation in 12 to 16 months from now, even if we took more concessions,” David B. Durkee, the union’s secretary-treasurer, said.

The bakery union often derided Hostess’s management, saying it was composed of Wall Street investors and “third-tier managers” from nonbaking companies. It said the investors were trying to “resolve the mess by attacking the company’s most valuable asset — its workers.”
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/11/19/hostess-and-bakers-union-agree-to-mediation/?_r=0

It feared a deal would pull down wages and benefits throughout the industry,

How are their wages and benefits without a deal?

If repealing the Minimum Wage would create more jobs, what exactly is the downside? Especially if people are VOLUNTEERING for the jobs at the wages offered?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back