Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban

Now I lived with and amongst the best Amish in southern ontario. I think they might have the answer.

They did wind but they were still somehow connected to the grid.

I don't see how the incandescent bulb ban was damaging or harmful. Though I didn't think it was necessary either. The fact that it ever became an issue is evidence that both sides need to get their priorities in order.

2,500 is enough to power the fridge permanently, keep my computer on for 15 hours at a time and use a microwave for a few minutes. It cuts energy cost by about 75 dollars a month. It runs on a solar panel that charges a battery. I use LED lighting which requires nothing from the system and gives me the same light as any normal house would get from CFL's or incandescents.

Again, I live in Southern California. Solar power is NOT (I repeat NOT) for everyone.
I once installed a satellite tv system for a customer who had a solar panel mounted on a 25 ft or so mast. The mast was about 18 to 24 inches in diameter at the base.
The panel had to be 20ft wide by 15 ft high.
The owner said it cost him about $50k for the entire thing.
I have no idea the power generated by this panel.
Have you any guess? He said it was his only source of electricity.
Here in the Piedmont of NC we probably get 150 sunny days where the sky cover is less than 1/8. Another 50 days where it's 4/8ths. The rest mostly cloudy to overcast.
Is that a sufficient amount of sunlight?
Note..June July and August we are 14.5 to 15 hrs of daylight.

Ok, that's a massive panel, but unless about 9/10 of your year is sun and only sun, it doesn't really work out too well. Unless you have a MASSIVE and extremely expensive bank of batteries.

Wait for the newer solar materials to come out, as the ones that convert only about 4-8% of the electromagnetic radiation they receive are the regular ones and cannot be used effectively in most places on Earth.

The newer panels convert almost 50% and can be used even in cloudy weather. They are EXTREMELY expensive right now. (bordering on millions a panel)
Massive is a good description.
It may have not been quite that big, thinking back, but it was very large.

The only thing I don't like about the curlycue lightbulbs is that they don't work on a dimmer switch.

Proper lighting is crucial to a party!

I'm sure we'll get used to whatever disposal methods are required to keep the mercury out of the landfill.

Can't the people who used to make the incandescent light bulbs just get jobs making the new light bulbs? Or did the wealthy 1% ship those jobs overseas already?

I believe China makes about 90% of the incandescent bulbs used in this country.

??? Then why is everyone going on about Americans losing jobs over lightbulbs when they've already been lost?

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about the curlycue lightbulbs is that they don't work on a dimmer switch.

Proper lighting is crucial to a party!

I'm sure we'll get used to whatever disposal methods are required to keep the mercury out of the landfill.

Can't the people who used to make the incandescent light bulbs just get jobs making the new light bulbs? Or did the wealthy 1% ship those jobs overseas already?

Well Obama just gave $$$$ to Petrobas in Brazil (for off shore oil exploration that Soros has a stake in), and I think it was the EPA who just gave $$$$ to Norway for an electric car production plant.

Should I carry on?

Now truly stop being a smart ass when we are talking mercury pollution. It's beyond terrifying.

It's not a blue box solution. And I've yet to discover any true disposal remedy. Mercury kills.

Excuse me but no one is being a smartass here. I no longer eat tuna or any other large fish because of the mercury content. Believe me, no one who is aware of the dangers of mercury wants the landfills filled with mercury either. You've gone on about it for awhile on this thread....I'm sure you've you spoken to your neighbors by now about your concerns about dumping the lightbulbs in the dump? You've got to get supplies from somewhere. Don't those stores accept CFLs? There are ways to dispose of the lightbulbs safely and even though it might take more effort than just tossing it into a trash can, we will get used to it. The lightbulbs consume 75% less energy and they last for 9 years. We have to get used to them. It's either that or use LEDs like another poster suggested. I'm going to look into that.

It's not just mercury btw, it's every chemical and poison that's ever gone into the landfill. There's a ton of shit leaching into our water and it's scary.

Last edited:
Here is my deal. Politicians screaming about something they know jack shit about pisses me off to no end.
Lightbulbs. All of a sudden these so called geniuses that were dog catchers in a former life before we sent them up the political food chain ban freaking lightbulbs.

Then they want to ban plastic bags from the grocery store. And some woman in the White House who has never taken a nutrition course in her life is going on about how and what and when we should eat.

Has everyone lost their minds even believing in anything these morons are spoon feeding us via the media?

I don't blame crazy left wing power trippers. It's always been their game. But I am seriously worried about the number of people I see buying into these stupid rule games.

Back up... You don't want mercury in your landfill but all those plastic bags are fine?

If we can try to prevent one thing from going into the landfill, what's wrong with trying to prevent another? In fact, what's wrong with trying to prevent every bad thing from going to the landfill, or even worse, the ocean. Petroleum based plastic bags are out; compostable bags are becoming more mainstream every day.

Congress can't get anything else accomplished......but they can protect an obsolete technology

The market will decide what is obsolete. All of my bulbs are working just fine.

And what do you propose we do with all the mercury contained in the curlycue bulbs once they start piling up in the landfills over the years and contaminate the ground?

Incandescent bulbs are dead. We have moved on. In five years you will not be able to find them

I advise you to stock up on them and store them with your eight track tapes

Well well aren't you the most dumb fuck anti-environmentalist. How special.
You save a few fucking pennies using those toxic little poisonous mercury bombs and doom the rest of us to contaminated soil and groundwater as you throw them out with the rest of your trash to contaminate landfills. Please do not even presume to explain how all of you enviro champions will be disposing of these toxic torpedoes in an approved location.

Oh you are a champion of humanity now aren't you? Where does all the fucking murcury go? MILLLIONS of these damn things disposed of every year, so where does the mercury go? You dolt. How many will be simply thrown in the trash?

You must be from Rio Linda so let me attempt to expain to you how fucked up you are.

Those of us who will "stock up" realize that the mercury bombs that you seem to prefer will have a profoundly bad impact on the environment when they are disposed of.
Mercury is a terrible neuro toxin that does not leave the body and causes permenent, irreversible, and horrible neurological affects.

But this is really all about the money, like it always is. It's all about one of Obamas biggest supporters, that would be G.E. , you know, the multi national multi billion dollar corporation that pays no federal taxes and is invested in the mercury time bombs to the hilt. Fuck you libs are stupid.

This is typical feel good legislation bullshit that appeals to a small sector of enviro idiots and combined with all of the other little asshole groups that they cater to, they win.
Meanwhile, those of us who have not placed our heads very fimly up our ass, well we have to put Erin Brockowich on speed-dial.

Last edited:
The market will decide what is obsolete. All of my bulbs are working just fine.

And what do you propose we do with all the mercury contained in the curlycue bulbs once they start piling up in the landfills over the years and contaminate the ground?

Incandescent bulbs are dead. We have moved on. In five years you will not be able to find them

You save a few fucking pennies using those toxic little poisonous mercury bombs and doom the rest of us to contaminated soil and groundwater as you throw them out with the rest of your trash to contaminate landfills. Please do not even presume to explain how all of you enviro champions will be disposing of these toxic torpedoes in an approved location.

Oh you are a champion of humanity now aren't you? Where does all the fucking murcury go? MILLLIONS of these damn things disposed of every year, so where does the mercury go? You dolt. How many will be simply thrown in the trash?

You must be from Rio Linda so let me attempt to expain to you how fucked up you are.

Those of us who will "stock up" realize that the mercury bombs that you seem to prefer will have a profoundly bad impact on the environment when they are disposed of.
Mercury is a terrible neuro toxin that does not leave the body and causes permenent, irreversible, and horrible neurological affects.

But this is really all about the money, like it always is. It's all about one of Obamas biggest supporters, that would be G.E. , you know, the multi national multi billion dollar corporation that pays no federal taxes and is invested in the mercury time bombs to the hilt. Fuck you libs are stupid.

This is typical feel good legislation bullshit that appeals to a small sector of enviro idiots and combined with all of the other little asshole groups that they cater to, they win.
Meanwhile, those of us who have not placed our heads very fimly up our ass, well we have to put Erin Brockowich on speed-dial.

Whispers to Traveller <you do realize it was George Bush that signed the ban>

I am impressed

Before reading this thread, I never realized Conservatoves were so ecologically concerned. Are these the same Conservatives that can't wait to get their hands on dirty oil from Canada

Just let the Citizen/Consumer decide which light bulb they want to buy. Why all the use of force by our Government? And don't we have more important things to worry about? Banning light bulbs is ridiculous and completely unnecessary. Big Government needs to be made smaller.

I am impressed

Before reading this thread, I never realized Conservatoves were so ecologically concerned. Are these the same Conservatives that can't wait to get their hands on dirty oil from Canada

Dirty oil form Canada huh Rio Linda?

And why is middle eastern oil cleaner?

They have decimated the most sensitive biome on the planet, the desert.
But to you assholes, that desert, albeit sensitive, is waaaaaay over there, so they can fuck all that up because it's not in your back yard. Massive environmental damage to the land and surrounding oceans is just okey dokey because its' thousands of miles away.
Is that not part of planet earth asshole? Pisses me off, how 'bout you?

Oh but I forgot, robot, you have to spew your little talking point.
yabba babbo doo, yabba babba doo, will the real Fred Flintstone please step forward.

Take our Canadian oil asshole. We won't terrorize and kill thousands of your citizens, the worst we'll do is take back the Stanley Cup ... LOL .. and to those in Rio Linda, that's a joke.

I don't see how the incandescent bulb ban was damaging or harmful. Though I didn't think it was necessary either. The fact that it ever became an issue is evidence that both sides need to get their priorities in order.

You probably wouldn't find a law against eating ice cream harmful as well. There are millions of laws that you wouldn't find harmful. However, if they all passed, this country would be a police state.

Now I lived with and amongst the best Amish in southern ontario. I think they might have the answer.

Amish do not use electricity.
Mennonites do.

I just caught this post.

We're talking Southern Ontario. We're talking horse and buggy. This one family in particular that I bought my eggs off of when my girls stopped laying in a moult had an awesome windmill.

These folks taught me how to go primal. And they were Amish. And I know the difference not by book learning, but by living my life.

I am currently surrounded by Hutterites. I know the difference. And I am in Menno land as well. Heck I go to my local Sobey's these days and all you see some days are black and blue. Some white with the Hutts.

At least no one ever stresses if they are colour co ordinated. :badgrin:

Anyways we couldn't figure how they could still be connected to the grid while they had this windmill. And why they they were allowed.

Dispensation. It was really that simple. Certain individuals in the communty were allowed to be hooked up. When Jacob told me, I almost fell over. And this family was solid horse and buggy.

Last edited:

I am impressed

What's with you guys and these stupid slogan?

Dirty oil? What makes Canadian oil (and we are your number one suppliers even without Keystone) dirtier than Mexican (your number two supplier).

We adhere to every environmental law thrown at us. So what makes our oil dirtier than Mexican or for that matter Saudi Arabia's oil. Or Venezuela's for you?

hehehe at least we treat our oil workers with respect as compared to Nigeria (I think that's your 5th supplier) I need more coffee.

I'm truly curious to see your response.

Last edited:

Mennonites do.

I just caught this post.

We're talking Southern Ontario. We're talking horse and buggy. This one family in particular that I bought my eggs off of when my girls stopped laying in a moult had an awesome windmill.

These folks taught me how to go primal. And they were Amish. And I know the difference not by book learning, but by living my life.

I am currently surrounded by Hutterites. I know the difference. And I am in Menno land as well. Heck I go to my local Sobey's these days and all you see some days are black and blue. Some white with the Hutts.

Anyways we couldn't figure how they could still be connected to the grid while they had this windmill. And why they they were allowed.

Dispensation. It was really that simple. Certain individuals in the communty were allowed to be hooked up. When Jacob told me, I almost fell over. And this family was solid horse and buggy.

I see. I am about 20 minutes from Lancaster PA, the largest Amish population on this side of the country, and know the area well. It's certainly possible that some here have a dispensation as well, I suppose. However, the rule is generally Amish=no electricity, Mennonites=electricity. I'll also say that the Amish and Mennonites I have met over the last 40 years here are possibly the most polite people I have ever known.

Mennonites do.

I just caught this post.

I see. I am about 20 minutes from Lancaster PA, the largest Amish population on this side of the country, and know the area well. It's certainly possible that some here have a dispensation as well, I suppose. However, the rule is generally Amish=no electricity, Mennonites=electricity. I'll also say that the Amish and Mennonites I have met over the last 40 years here are possibly the most polite people I have ever known.

I was just north of Delhi in a town so small I don't even think they have a wiki page yet.:D called Hawtrey.

I've got to check that out in a minute to see if they put one up.

And you are completely correct on the general rule. No electric. No nothing. And you think seriously (to anyone else reading our posts) that you are completely back in time when you see them work the fields with horses.

And they still flourish. I admire them greatly and I'll always be thankful for showing me how to live off the grid.

the incandescent light bulb has NEVER BEEN BANNED....silly fools you all are, calling it a ban....

the entire western world has new reg standards, but never a total ban....

this reversal measure is a day late and a dollar short....and will only add chaos at this late stage of the game.....congress critters are idiots.

Why did some conservatives support the bill when it took place back in 2008? That's when congress should have put the brakes on this....then the whole western world might have followed....instead, every western nation has instituted the new reg standards for the incandescent bulb and now the congress critters....4 years after the bill has passed, wants to do something? UTTER WASTE OF TIME! NO Global manufacturer is going to reverse what they have done to prepare for this....

The principle. Government taking a perfectly usable and legal product, demonizing it then banning it. For the sake of political gain.

Just let the Citizen/Consumer decide which light bulb they want to buy. Why all the use of force by our Government? And don't we have more important things to worry about? Banning light bulbs is ridiculous and completely unnecessary. Big Government needs to be made smaller.

Same thing with the econobox death trap autos the Obama regime is trying to shove up our asses.
One of the best pieces of news I have read on this front is that Piece of Shit Chevy Volt becoming a complete and utter failure.
I am not opposed to other methods to power our vehicles. Natural gas, hydrogen and methanol are all viable alternatives now being studied.
I have heard arguments against all three. From guess who? Environmentalists.
Their agenda is not fuel efficiency or conservation or even alternative fuels.
Their agenda is this new urbanism nonsense. The enviro-lobby has an anti suburbs, anti single family home, anti freedom agenda.
Time and again we have heard environmentalists claim people were destroying the planet. We've heard them whine about suburban sprawl and shopping centers.
Environmentalists think we should all be crammed into urban centers, we should use bicycles and public transportation. There should be no cars or highways.
These people are selfish elitists.

Forum List

Back