Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban

The only thing I don't like about the curlycue lightbulbs is that they don't work on a dimmer switch.

Proper lighting is crucial to a party!

I'm sure we'll get used to whatever disposal methods are required to keep the mercury out of the landfill.

Can't the people who used to make the incandescent light bulbs just get jobs making the new light bulbs? Or did the wealthy 1% ship those jobs overseas already?

The only thing I don't like about the curlycue lightbulbs is that they don't work on a dimmer switch.

I'm sure we'll get used to whatever disposal methods are required to keep the mercury out of the landfill.

Can't the people who used to make the incandescent light bulbs just get jobs making the new light bulbs? Or did the wealthy 1% ship those jobs overseas already?

I believe China makes about 90% of the incandescent bulbs used in this country.

Well Obama just gave $$$$ to Petrobas in Brazil (for off shore oil exploration that Soros has a stake in), and I think it was the EPA who just gave $$$$ to Norway for an electric car production plant.

Should I carry on?

Now truly stop being a smart ass when we are talking mercury pollution. It's beyond terrifying.

It's not a blue box solution. And I've yet to discover any true disposal remedy. Mercury kills.

Unfortunately for me, my husband is a Democrat and he thinks those bendy straw lightbulbs are great.

I think they aren't because you have to turn on twice as many lights to see what you could with ONE 100 watt bulb.

I have to turn on every light in the kitchen (five) when I could just turn on ONE incadescent bulb. And if a bulb breaks, I can just sweep it up and throw it away. I don't need hazmat to come out to throw it away.

No amount of reason will convince him, they are stupid. I don't see where we have saved a dime in electricity.

I pick my battles with him. (sigh)

Don't ask me how a conservative like me every fell in love with a Democrat like him, I don't know myself.

We just did.

Obviously, we don't discuss politics at home.

:D

They get brighter the longer they are on. I don't see any difference here and this house is full of the ones that last 9 years. I'd rather not have to change bulbs.

if/when the CFL's go... try the LED's. I am very happy with mine.

hey... just out of curiosity... what is the wattage equivalent for a 100W incandescent in LED? For instance... I know that for CFL's, it's 23 a 23 Watt Bulb. But I've been poking around(albeit very casually) and I can't really tell from what I've seen so far.

Actually, they make CFL's that work with dimmers now.

If anyone else has lived thru the time period with our great lakes being polluted to the point we had fish killing our First Nations, you will know I'm not being some wild eyed crazy bitch here about about mercury poisoning.

And yes I'm a conservative. And yes I'm a conservationist. I really fear the use of mercury. I've seen what can happen.

Last edited:

Well Obama just gave $$$$ to Petrobas in Brazil (for off shore oil exploration that Soros has a stake in), and I think it was the EPA who just gave $$$$ to Norway for an electric car production plant.

Should I carry on?

Now truly stop being a smart ass when we are talking mercury pollution. It's beyond terrifying.

It's not a blue box solution. And I've yet to discover any true disposal remedy. Mercury kills.

Mercury-Containing Light Bulb (Lamp) Recycling | Universal Waste | US EPA

Should I carry on?

Oh with all due respect, spare me.

Let me give you a clue on real life. I live in the middle of nowhere. Right on the edge of a provincial park by the way and I have bald eagles as my buddies year round and a sandhill crane nesting ground come spring and wild turkeys run thru my ditches.

I love where I live. I am also surrounded with my wonderous but stupid neighbors who have the "save the planet curly cue lightbulbs" all thru their houses.

My wonderful idiotic neighbors who think they are enviromental whizzes. We don't have hazardous sp? how the heck do you spell that?waste removal.

We have a fucking dump. Guess where all those curly cue filled with mercury lightbulbs go?

Into my landfill. Into my fucking landfill.

This is an issue I have with these lightbulbs and all the good little enviro whackos telling us how wonderful they are.

Last edited:

Should I carry on?

Let me give you a clue on real life. I live in the middle of nowhere. Right on the edge of a provincial park by the way and I have bald eagles as my buddies year round and a sandhill crane nesting ground come spring and wild turkeys run thru my ditches.

I love where I live. I am also surrounded with my wonderous but stupid neighbors who have the "save the planet curly cue lightbulbs" all thru their houses.

My wonderful idiotic neighbors who think they are enviromental whizzes. We don't have hazardous sp? how the heck do you spell that?waste removal.

We have a fucking dump. Guess where all those curly cue filled with mercury lightbulbs go?

This is an issue I have with these lightbulbs and all the good little enviro whackos telling us how wonderful they are.

Out of curiosity, why are you not championing the use of LED's then?

A few basic facts for those curious about LED's.

Long-lasting - LED bulbs last up to 10 times as long as compact fluorescents, and far longer than typical incandescents.

Durable - since LEDs do not have a filament, they are not damaged under circumstances when a regular incandescent bulb would be broken. Because they are solid, LED bulbs hold up well to jarring and bumping.

Cool - these bulbs do not cause heat build-up; LEDs produce 3.4 btu's/hour, compared to 85 for incandescent bulbs. Common incandescent bulbs get hot and contribute to heat build-up in a room. LEDs prevent this heat build-up, thereby helping to reduce air conditioning costs in the home.

Mercury-free - no mercury is used in the manufacturing of LEDs.

More efficient - LED light bulbs use only 2-17 watts of electricity (1/3rd to 1/30th of Incandescent or CFL). LED bulbs used in fixtures inside the home save electricity, remain cool and save money on replacement costs since LED bulbs last so long. Small LED flashlight bulbs will extend battery life 10 to 15 times longer than with incandescent bulbs.

Cost-effective - although LEDs are initially expensive, the cost is recouped over time and in battery savings. LED bulb use was first adopted commercially, where maintenance and replacement costs are expensive. But the cost of new LED bulbs has gone down considerably in the last few years. and are continuing to go down. Today, there are many new LED light bulbs for use in the home, and the cost is becoming less of an issue. To see a cost comparison between the different types of energy-saving light bulbs, see our Light Bulb Comparison Charts.

Light for remote areas and portable generators - because of the low power requirement for LEDs, using solar panels becomes more practical and less expensive than running an electric line or using a generator for lighting in remote or off-grid areas. LED light bulbs are also ideal for use with small portable generators which homeowners use for backup power in emergencies.

Should I carry on?

with all due respect...

Just because your neighbors can't be bothered, doesn't mean you should ignore the resources available for proper disposal.

Recycling and Disposal After a CFL Burns Out | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA
How and Where Can I Recycle CFLs?

Waste collection agencies
Local retailers
Mail-back services

► Contact your local waste collection agency

Visit Earth911.com Exit EPA Disclaimer to find collection schedules in your area or drop-off locations if curbside collections are not available. Note that waste collection agencies:

provide services that are usually free, though some may charge a small fee.
sometimes collect household hazardous wastes only once or twice a year, so residents will have to hold on to their light bulbs until the collection takes place. Other collection agencies provide collection services throughout the year.
may also collect paints, pesticides, cleaning supplies or batteries.
usually accept waste only from residents, although some collection programs include small businesses as well.

► Visit your local retailers

Many hardware supply stores and other retailers offer in-store recycling. Visit Earth911.com Exit EPA Disclaimer to find stores in your area or check the list below. Make sure you check directly with the store before you go; not all stores in regional or nationwide chains may be equipped to recycle.
Exit EPA Disclaimer

Ace Hardware store locator
Aubuchon Hardware store locations
Bartell Drugs
Home Depot’s CFL recycling program
IKEA store locations
Lowe's recycling program and store locator
Menards store locator
Orchard Supply store locator
TrueValue store locator
Retail and other locations in certain counties and states:
Dane County, Wisconsin
Massachusetts
Minnesota (PDF)
City of Napa and southern Napa County, California
San Francisco, California
San Mateo County, California
Vermont

► Find out about mail-back services

Some bulb manufacturers and other organizations sell pre-labeled recycling kits that allow you to mail used bulbs to recycling centers. The cost of each kit includes shipping charges to the recycling center. You fill up a kit with old bulbs, seal it, and bring it to the post office or leave for your postal carrier. Websites that provide more information about mail-back services Exit EPA Disclaimer .
BakPak Mail-Back Recycling (NLR, Inc.)
EasyPak from Lamprecycling.com (AirCycle)
EcoLights
EverLights, Inc.
Heritage Lifecycle Mailback Services
Lampmaster
Osram Sylvania
RecycleKits from AERC Recycling Solutions
RecyclePak from Veolia Environmental Services
Simple Cycle (Lamp Environment Industries, Inc.)
Think Green From Home (Waste Management Inc.)

Last edited:
A few basic facts for those curious about LED's.

Long-lasting - LED bulbs last up to 10 times as long as compact fluorescents, and far longer than typical incandescents.

Durable - since LEDs do not have a filament, they are not damaged under circumstances when a regular incandescent bulb would be broken. Because they are solid, LED bulbs hold up well to jarring and bumping.

Cool - these bulbs do not cause heat build-up; LEDs produce 3.4 btu's/hour, compared to 85 for incandescent bulbs. Common incandescent bulbs get hot and contribute to heat build-up in a room. LEDs prevent this heat build-up, thereby helping to reduce air conditioning costs in the home.

Mercury-free - no mercury is used in the manufacturing of LEDs.

More efficient - LED light bulbs use only 2-17 watts of electricity (1/3rd to 1/30th of Incandescent or CFL). LED bulbs used in fixtures inside the home save electricity, remain cool and save money on replacement costs since LED bulbs last so long. Small LED flashlight bulbs will extend battery life 10 to 15 times longer than with incandescent bulbs.

Cost-effective - although LEDs are initially expensive, the cost is recouped over time and in battery savings. LED bulb use was first adopted commercially, where maintenance and replacement costs are expensive. But the cost of new LED bulbs has gone down considerably in the last few years. and are continuing to go down. Today, there are many new LED light bulbs for use in the home, and the cost is becoming less of an issue. To see a cost comparison between the different types of energy-saving light bulbs, see our Light Bulb Comparison Charts.

Light for remote areas and portable generators - because of the low power requirement for LEDs, using solar panels becomes more practical and less expensive than running an electric line or using a generator for lighting in remote or off-grid areas. LED light bulbs are also ideal for use with small portable generators which homeowners use for backup power in emergencies.

What he said.

Out of curiosity, why are you not championing the use of LED's then?

I love LED's don't get me wrong. And I've never seen prettier Christmas lights than with LED's this year. I don't know what it is about the light, but it's beautiful.

I am just seriously against anything used with mercury.

My life has been very weird so bare with me here. After husband number one I was blessed that an old friend took me in to work for him where I could bring my daughter as well.

It was a place called the Beaverhead in Toronto. We traded with many First Nations peoples. This is where I first learned about mercury poisoning and the damage it was doing.

I've since become a major water steward and always will be.

with all due respect...

Just because your neighbors can't be bothered, doesn't mean you should ignore the resources available for proper disposal.

Recycling and Disposal After a CFL Burns Out | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA
How and Where Can I Recycle CFLs?

Waste collection agencies
Local retailers
Mail-back services

► Contact your local waste collection agency

Visit Earth911.com Exit EPA Disclaimer to find collection schedules in your area or drop-off locations if curbside collections are not available. Note that waste collection agencies:

provide services that are usually free, though some may charge a small fee.
sometimes collect household hazardous wastes only once or twice a year, so residents will have to hold on to their light bulbs until the collection takes place. Other collection agencies provide collection services throughout the year.
may also collect paints, pesticides, cleaning supplies or batteries.
usually accept waste only from residents, although some collection programs include small businesses as well.

► Visit your local retailers

Many hardware supply stores and other retailers offer in-store recycling. Visit Earth911.com Exit EPA Disclaimer to find stores in your area or check the list below. Make sure you check directly with the store before you go; not all stores in regional or nationwide chains may be equipped to recycle.
Exit EPA Disclaimer

Ace Hardware store locator
Aubuchon Hardware store locations
Bartell Drugs
Home Depot’s CFL recycling program
IKEA store locations
Lowe's recycling program and store locator
Menards store locator
Orchard Supply store locator
TrueValue store locator
Retail and other locations in certain counties and states:
Dane County, Wisconsin
Massachusetts
Minnesota (PDF)
City of Napa and southern Napa County, California
San Francisco, California
San Mateo County, California
Vermont

► Find out about mail-back services

Some bulb manufacturers and other organizations sell pre-labeled recycling kits that allow you to mail used bulbs to recycling centers. The cost of each kit includes shipping charges to the recycling center. You fill up a kit with old bulbs, seal it, and bring it to the post office or leave for your postal carrier. Websites that provide more information about mail-back services Exit EPA Disclaimer .
BakPak Mail-Back Recycling (NLR, Inc.)
EasyPak from Lamprecycling.com (AirCycle)
EcoLights
EverLights, Inc.
Heritage Lifecycle Mailback Services
Lampmaster
Osram Sylvania
RecycleKits from AERC Recycling Solutions
RecyclePak from Veolia Environmental Services
Simple Cycle (Lamp Environment Industries, Inc.)
Think Green From Home (Waste Management Inc.)

Your heart is in the right place to be true. I live green and always have to the best of my ability.

But other people aren't smart. I'm trying to find a nice way to put this. Either side of the aisle people are well intentioned, but they are stupid.

Cripes, I don't know how to put it without coming off as a holier than thou and I don't want to do that.

Okay, how many well meaning souls have curly cue light bulbs in their house tonight who are going to their drive in dump on Saturday with a couple in their garbage?

Oh and btw its a loooooooong way to the town dump. Maybe those of you in cities don't quite get what it's like out here in the neverlands. You make your run only when you have filled your out buildings.

Should I carry on?

thorazine1.jpg

2,500 watt solar panel.

What does that get you in your house?

I've gone primal in my time which means nothing is on. Nothing. Radio with batteries to hear anything. But apart from that NOTHING.

Do you get that? Do you understand what that means? I lived that for years. I can do it again. I can live with that. Can you?

So what does your 2500 get you? I'm really curious because my neighbors who really tried solar had to bail because the expected too much I think.

Not being a smart ass here. I'm a serious conservationist.

2,500 is enough to power the fridge permanently, keep my computer on for 15 hours at a time and use a microwave for a few minutes. It cuts energy cost by about 75 dollars a month. It runs on a solar panel that charges a battery. I use LED lighting which requires nothing from the system and gives me the same light as any normal house would get from CFL's or incandescents.

Again, I live in Southern California. Solar power is NOT (I repeat NOT) for everyone.
I once installed a satellite tv system for a customer who had a solar panel mounted on a 25 ft or so mast. The mast was about 18 to 24 inches in diameter at the base.
The panel had to be 20ft wide by 15 ft high.
The owner said it cost him about $50k for the entire thing.
I have no idea the power generated by this panel.
Have you any guess? He said it was his only source of electricity.
Here in the Piedmont of NC we probably get 150 sunny days where the sky cover is less than 1/8. Another 50 days where it's 4/8ths. The rest mostly cloudy to overcast.
Is that a sufficient amount of sunlight?
Note..June July and August we are 14.5 to 15 hrs of daylight.

What does that get you in your house?

I've gone primal in my time which means nothing is on. Nothing. Radio with batteries to hear anything. But apart from that NOTHING.

Do you get that? Do you understand what that means? I lived that for years. I can do it again. I can live with that. Can you?

So what does your 2500 get you? I'm really curious because my neighbors who really tried solar had to bail because the expected too much I think.

Not being a smart ass here. I'm a serious conservationist.

2,500 is enough to power the fridge permanently, keep my computer on for 15 hours at a time and use a microwave for a few minutes. It cuts energy cost by about 75 dollars a month. It runs on a solar panel that charges a battery. I use LED lighting which requires nothing from the system and gives me the same light as any normal house would get from CFL's or incandescents.

Again, I live in Southern California. Solar power is NOT (I repeat NOT) for everyone.
I once installed a satellite tv system for a customer who had a solar panel mounted on a 25 ft or so mast. The mast was about 18 to 24 inches in diameter at the base.
Here in the Piedmont of NC we probably get 150 sunny days where the sky cover is less than 1/8. Another 50 days where it's 4/8ths. The rest mostly cloudy to overcast.

Ok, that's a massive panel, but unless about 9/10 of your year is sun and only sun, it doesn't really work out too well. Unless you have a MASSIVE and extremely expensive bank of batteries.

Wait for the newer solar materials to come out, as the ones that convert only about 4-8% of the electromagnetic radiation they receive are the regular ones and cannot be used effectively in most places on Earth.

The newer panels convert almost 50% and can be used even in cloudy weather. They are EXTREMELY expensive right now. (bordering on millions a panel)

Last edited:
Those CFL bulbs don't work outside in the cold.

Strange I use them in my outbuildings and they have come on fine at sub zero temps.
Allbeit they start out at about 60% full brightenss but theat comes up in a couple of minutes.

They have finally come out with CFL's Over 100W (light equivalency).

CFLs have a few limitations: they don't do well in cold temperatures, vibration will shorten their life, and you must buy specially marked CFLs if you plan to use them outdoors, in fully enclosed fixtures, or on dimmer circuits.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't use CFLs in ceiling fans. They move around too much, and you'll be disappointed when your bulb wears out prematurely. Outdoor CFLs are weatherized, and are usually enclosed in a secondary enclosure to improve their cold weather performance. But don't expect miracles: CFLs like being warm, and their efficiency drops with the temperature.

Speaking of efficiency, modern CFLs have almost immediate startup time. That means that when you flip the switch, there's very little lag before the bulb turns on. But to achieve the sort of power efficiencies advertised on their packaging, CFLs must warm up to their operational temperature. This takes anywhere from 30 seconds to three minutes. During this period, they're not much more power-stingy than incandescent bulbs.

Which is why swapping out low-usage lights — such as those in closets — is probably your least priority. Start with the lights you use the most.

Ok, that's a massive panel, but unless about 9/10 of your year is sun and only sun, it doesn't really work out too well. Unless you have a MASSIVE and extremely expensive bank of batteries.

Wait for the newer solar materials to come out, as the ones that convert only about 4-8% of the electromagnetic radiation they receive are the regular ones and cannot be used effectively in most places on Earth.

The newer panels convert almost 50% and can be used even in cloudy weather. They are EXTREMELY expensive right now. (bordering on millions a panel)
I went primal.

Not trying to do a holier than thou here but I really went primal with my husband. I wanted to see if we could pull off what I'd already done in BC in the early 70's. So we had this house we converted to primal.

Wood not easy. lol, ask my hubby. me. water. pumping is horrid and I'd forgotten how hard it was.

I'd love to find an enviro answer. I can't now. I wish I could though. I see all these good minded greenies coming in who really want to make things right, and I don't even know how to tell them how we start because their teachers are liars. And not by choice. They are lied to as well.

Forum List

Back