Concealed Carry Permits Should be Treated Like Driver's Licenses

You might note that incitement is a regulated form of speech. Reasonable regulation is needed in all aspects of life in a community. Even free speech.

So if government can put any regulation on a Constitutional right, they can put all regulations on Constitutional rights. Therefore, they really aren't Constitutional rights, are they? I guess they should have called it the Bill of Suggestions

Back to the all or nothing again. This all started with the premise that gun rights can not be infringed in any way. Obviously, they can be in reasonable ways. The only question now is "what is reasonable". I think it is reasonable for an individual who is selling a gun to find out if the buyer is allowed by law to have it. A few bucks for a background check that the buyer would probably pay for is the best way to make sure that happens. Don't you want to make it harder for crooks to get guns?

I don't want to make law abiding citizens into criminals because they don't keep up with the complex legal requirements created to trap them by anti gunners......if criminals are caught with a gun...lock them up...it really is that simple....that guy who shot the cop in the face....he had already been arrested twice for gun possesion and attempted murder......if they had just done what I suggest, and kept him locked up on the gun charge...the police officer, and whoever else he had victimized would be safe today.....

How about .....
Any caught illegally possessing a gun 5 years in prison, no exceptions.
IF they use that illegal gun for the commission of a crime (armed robbery, etc), 10 years in prison, no exceptions.
IF the discharge that illegal gun during the commission of a crime, 20 years in prison, no exceptions.

And that is actual gun control....controlling criminals using guns to commit crimes...anything else is just trying to stop law abiding people from owning guns because of an irrational fear of guns......

No one is trying to stop you from OWNING anything.

You just don't like filling out paperwork and waiting a few days.

Gun owners like you are selfish pricks.

I got a friend who owns more than 20 guns and he says it's his civic duty to follow all the laws and only sell with a background check.

Easy...we have background checks available now.....good guys can right now ask any buyer to go with them to get background checked.....if they refuse, they know not to sell the gun to the guy.......no need for any new laws......

Right. Voluntary checks. Lots of people willing to sell guns to anybody as long as they can say they didn't know the buyer was a crook. How you gonna prove they were lying? With universal checks, we get rid of that loophole.

Because when you catch the guy who bought the gun...and he wasn't allowed to have it....you arrest him......simple, easy, and no extra money or paperwork required...since he wasn't allowed to buy or be in possession of the gun...right?j

That takes care of it..........universal background checks don't get rid of that loophole, the guy gets a straw purchaser or steals the gun......

It is a felony to be a straw purchaser.
only if you don't work for the government; want to "harass a Judge" about it? The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

You don't know what that means
I always know what that means; i don't need to impugn the right for being so full of fallacy.

So if government can put any regulation on a Constitutional right, they can put all regulations on Constitutional rights. Therefore, they really aren't Constitutional rights, are they? I guess they should have called it the Bill of Suggestions

Back to the all or nothing again. This all started with the premise that gun rights can not be infringed in any way. Obviously, they can be in reasonable ways. The only question now is "what is reasonable". I think it is reasonable for an individual who is selling a gun to find out if the buyer is allowed by law to have it. A few bucks for a background check that the buyer would probably pay for is the best way to make sure that happens. Don't you want to make it harder for crooks to get guns?

I don't want to make law abiding citizens into criminals because they don't keep up with the complex legal requirements created to trap them by anti gunners......if criminals are caught with a gun...lock them up...it really is that simple....that guy who shot the cop in the face....he had already been arrested twice for gun possesion and attempted murder......if they had just done what I suggest, and kept him locked up on the gun charge...the police officer, and whoever else he had victimized would be safe today.....

How about .....
IF they use that illegal gun for the commission of a crime (armed robbery, etc), 10 years in prison, no exceptions.
IF the discharge that illegal gun during the commission of a crime, 20 years in prison, no exceptions.

And that is actual gun control....controlling criminals using guns to commit crimes...anything else is just trying to stop law abiding people from owning guns because of an irrational fear of guns......

I got a friend who owns more than 20 guns and he says it's his civic duty to follow all the laws and only sell with a background check.
Only gun lovers who don't have a clue or a Cause have a problem.

I am of the belief that a CCW should be treated like a vehicle driver's license. If you are visiting a state, your CCW issued in your state should be legal and valid, just like your driver's license. If you move to a new state, you should have a set amount of time in which to get a new CCW issued by your new state.

CCW permits, in my opinion, should not be treated like a marriage licenses.

Opinions?

That's idiotic.

Gun regs that work in Wyoming won't work in NYC.

Any reasonable person would understand that.

That's why we have so much gun violence -- piss-poor white trash states like Indiana with gun nutter and no regs flooding the market which spills over into grey and black markets.

You want solve the gun problem, you make it extremely risky and difficult for criminals, mental patients, and wife beaters to get guns and even harder to get ammo.

And again you show no bit of understanding of what is going on......it is already a felony for criminals to have guns....they use them anyway...they don't care until they are caught....so when you catch them, lock them up or a long time...that is the only form of gun control that works......

And Chicago, New York, D.C.....all have strict gun control....and lots of gun violence....if gun control in those cities worked it wouldn't matter what other states or cities have guns......but again, criminals ignore gun laws......so your premise is wrong.....

How about .....

Yeah, blacks didn't like taking reading and writing tests to vote way back when either.......or paying a small fee to vote...the pricks....right? What is a small inconvenience to a law abiding citizen....who has broken no law, comitted no crime...right?

Yeah, you should check who you are selling guns to....but the one who actually knows...the guy buying the gun....arrest him and your problem is solved...no muss, no fuss....

I am of the belief that a CCW should be treated like a vehicle driver's license. If you are visiting a state, your CCW issued in your state should be legal and valid, just like your driver's license. If you move to a new state, you should have a set amount of time in which to get a new CCW issued by your new state.

Opinions?

That's idiotic.

That's why we have so much gun violence -- piss-poor white trash states like Indiana with gun nutter and no regs flooding the market which spills over into grey and black markets.

You want solve the gun problem, you make it extremely risky and difficult for criminals, mental patients, and wife beaters to get guns and even harder to get ammo.

And again you show no bit of understanding of what is going on......it is already a felony for criminals to have guns....they use them anyway...they don't care until they are caught....so when you catch them, lock them up or a long time...that is the only form of gun control that works......

And Chicago, New York, D.C.....all have strict gun control....and lots of gun violence....if gun control in those cities worked it wouldn't matter what other states or cities have guns......but again, criminals ignore gun laws......so your premise is wrong.....
It may have more to do with Commerce among the several States.

You might note that incitement is a regulated form of speech. Reasonable regulation is needed in all aspects of life in a community. Even free speech.

How about .....

I agree with your point except the left also want the supremacy of the State

How about .....

Yes, reducing crime by inspecting the people who don't commit them, what a great strategy, Einstein...

How about .....

Wrong as usual, person on the Right; gun lovers on the Right already "harassed a Judge" for their Incorporation Cause.

Universal background checks would be a minor inconvenience for a lawful gun seller, but without them, there is no way for the individual seller to tell if the buyer is one of the felons, etc. that are not allowed to have a gun. I believe most responsible gun owners would refuse to sell to crooks, but how do they know if the buyer is a crook? That would make me feel a hell of a lot safer.

By "universal background checks", you really mean that you want the federal government to be the one in charge?
For all intent, there already ID "universal background checks", but the states are in control of the "checking".

I'd like to have the check cross State so if you're convicted in Tennessee it turns up if you by in Texas. However, who is in charge I don't really have a position on.

I view this more as a chance to toss criminals back in jail than a chance to prevent them from getting guns. You can't do the latter, but criminals are stupid. Cross State checks may be the most important for that.

In some cases, the NICS check goes directly to the FBI, other times it goes through your state Police, THEN to the FBI.
It depends whether it takes 15 minutes or 40 minutes.
Any felony ANYWHERE is supopse to be in the FBI files.
Anything in the state or FBI files, including domestic battery, drug addiction, and other things, will disqualify a person from buying a firearm.
It is the damn "24 hour wait", the "3 days wait", the weekly wait", and other such ridiculous state laws that need to be done-away with.
You should be able to walk outta the firearm store with your purchase as soon as the NICS check comes back.
.............. Just saying.

Universal background checks would be a minor inconvenience for a lawful gun seller, but without them, there is no way for the individual seller to tell if the buyer is one of the felons, etc. that are not allowed to have a gun. I believe most responsible gun owners would refuse to sell to crooks, but how do they know if the buyer is a crook? That would make me feel a hell of a lot safer.

By "universal background checks", you really mean that you want the federal government to be the one in charge?
For all intent, there already ID "universal background checks", but the states are in control of the "checking".

I'd like to have the check cross State so if you're convicted in Tennessee it turns up if you by in Texas. However, who is in charge I don't really have a position on.

I view this more as a chance to toss criminals back in jail than a chance to prevent them from getting guns. You can't do the latter, but criminals are stupid. Cross State checks may be the most important for that.
Why do you think that isnt done already?

I find your post a bit confusing since I don't believe I said it's not done, but my issue with the current law is the wait period. I support a background check, but I want:

1) It is instant
2) There is no record kept of the check
3) If a convicted felon tries to buy a gun, an arrest warrant is automatically issued immediately

If they do not do all three, then I oppose them. The only reason to me for background checks are to violate felons and send them to prison. I also think they should require ID just like for alcohol so minors cannot buy guns in gun shops and they can verify they are searching for the right person in the background check
You understand that except for the automatic arrest warrant all of those are currently being done, right? There is no Federal wait period either.

How about .....

THAT (People waiting days to be able to take possession of the newly bought guns) is one or the most ridiculous laws EVER!!!
NICS can find out IF you can legally own/possess a firearm in 10 to 40 minutes.
Not reason to wait any longer than THAT (10 to 40 minutes) to take your firearm home with you.

Opinions?

That's idiotic.

Why wouldnt gun regs work in both places? Are people more violent in NYC?

I find your post a bit confusing since I don't believe I said it's not done, but my issue with the current law is the wait period. I support a background check, but I want:

1) It is instant
3) If a convicted felon tries to buy a gun, an arrest warrant is automatically issued immediately

If they do not do all three, then I oppose them. The only reason to me for background checks are to violate felons and send them to prison. I also think they should require ID just like for alcohol so minors cannot buy guns in gun shops and they can verify they are searching for the right person in the background check
You understand that except for the automatic arrest warrant all of those are currently being done, right? There is no Federal wait period either.

........ And there SHOULDN'T be any wait period other than the NICS check.

1) It is instant

........ And there SHOULDN'T be any wait period other than the NICS check.
I dont even care about hte NICS check. Again, it is ineffective. About 80% of the denials I had ended up getting overturned because the file was lousy.

Opinions?

That's idiotic.

Why wouldnt gun regs work in both places? Are people more violent in NYC?

Personally, I believe that any honest, law-abiding, responsible citizen in the big cities (NYC) should be able to own/possess and carry a firearm, ESPECILLY in the inner city, to protect themselves and their loved ones.
I'll bet THAT would reduce crime in the big cities!!!!

How about .....

Wrong as usual, person on the Right; gun lovers on the Right already "harassed a Judge" for their Incorporation Cause.

OMG, "person on the Right." You work hard on your insults, don't you? It shows

In some cases, the NICS check goes directly to the FBI, other times it goes through your state Police, THEN to the FBI.
It depends whether it takes 15 minutes or 40 minutes.
Any felony ANYWHERE is supopse to be in the FBI files.
Anything in the state or FBI files, including domestic battery, drug addiction, and other things, will disqualify a person from buying a firearm.
It is the damn "24 hour wait", the "3 days wait", the weekly wait", and other such ridiculous state laws that need to be done-away with.
You should be able to walk outta the firearm store with your purchase as soon as the NICS check comes back.
.............. Just saying.

I say give them 10 minutes. Failure to say no by then is a yes

1) It is instant

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? To me, that's the whole point, it's the only reason I agree with background checks. To have a reason to throw their sorry asses back in jail

How about .....

THAT (People waiting days to be able to take possession of the newly bought guns) is one or the most ridiculous laws EVER!!!
NICS can find out IF you can legally own/possess a firearm in 10 to 40 minutes.
Not reason to wait any longer than THAT (10 to 40 minutes) to take your firearm home with you.

They should be able to make it 10 period if they would update the computer technology to do it

Forum List

Back