Concealed Carry Permits Should be Treated Like Driver's Licenses

Seawytch

Information isnt Advocacy
Aug 5, 2010
Peaking out from the redwoods
I am of the belief that a CCW should be treated like a vehicle driver's license. If you are visiting a state, your CCW issued in your state should be legal and valid, just like your driver's license. If you move to a new state, you should have a set amount of time in which to get a new CCW issued by your new state.

CCW permits, in my opinion, should not be treated like a marriage licenses.

Opinions?

That would only work if all states were forced to follow the constitution and become "shall issue" CCW states. Until then the "may issue (really no issue) ones will hem and haw and sue to stop it from happening.

Right now I could get a CCW in Utah, but not in New York, and I don't even live in Utah.

I am of the belief that a CCW should be treated like a vehicle driver's license. If you are visiting a state, your CCW issued in your state should be legal and valid, just like your driver's license. If you move to a new state, you should have a set amount of time in which to get a new CCW issued by your new state.

Opinions?

(1) There is no justification in the second amendment for ANY license - either to own or carry.

(2) Several states (Kansas being the latest) have done away with license requirements altogether and good for them.

I have carried a pistol for the last 45 or so years. It was my job, then after retiring, I continued to carry and will continue to do so from time to time. Where I live - in Montana - guns are a way of life. Sorry us "great unwashed" aren't as "sophisticated" as the rest of the country - but it works out well for us. VERY LOW murder rate, as opposed to those cities and states with rigid laws.

That would only work if all states were forced to follow the constitution and become "shall issue" CCW states. Until then the "may issue (really no issue) ones will hem and haw and sue to stop it from happening.

Right now I could get a CCW in Utah, but not in New York, and I don't even live in Utah.

{Sigh} Which is why my OP was about how I believe it should be, not how it is currently.

That would erode the principle of states' rights and make the most lenient state dictate policy to more stringent states. Much as I believe in RKBA I dont believe in over riding people's folly.

Do you think states should be forced to accept same sex marriages from other states too?

Yes. Either states have to recognize the legal marriage of another state or they don't. If 40 year old Bubba marries his 15 year old 1st cousin Mary Sue, they are married in all 50 states...even if they don't allow 1st cousins or 15 year olds to marry.

That would erode the principle of states' rights and make the most lenient state dictate policy to more stringent states. Much as I believe in RKBA I dont believe in over riding people's folly.

Like driver's licenses, there would have to be minimum standards. Some states have more stringent licensing requirements that others for vehicle permits do they not?

-Or- you could just move to Kansas where no license is required.......:eusa_drool:

Opinions?
so should weapons qualification for well regulated militia.

Opinions?
Most states have a great deal of CCW reciprocity -- generally, a shall-issue state will honor the CCW of another shall-issue state.
This is, of course, as it should be, and it should be the same across all 50 states.
After all, my right to carry a gun for self-defense stops neither at my front door nor the state line.

Like driver's licenses, there would have to be minimum standards. Some states have more stringent licensing requirements that others for vehicle permits do they not?
The difference in standards is obviously not enough for authorities in those states not to recognize each others' DLs.

The difference in standards is obviously not enough for authorities in those states not to recognize each others' DLs.

And you're sure the difference in standards between CCW permits would also be so great? Can you give examples?

Opinions?
Most states have a great deal of CCW reciprocity -- generally, a shall-issue state will honor the CCW of another shall-issue state.
This is, of course, as it should be, and it should be the same across all 50 states.
After all, my right to carry a gun for self-defense stops neither at my front door nor the state line.

And that's why I find it refreshing that states (such as Kansas) have done away with all licensing requirements (including CCW). Let's be honest here. People have been carrying "illegally" for as long as I can remember. Why not use the second amendment as it was intended, rather than trying to invent ways to force the will of a few on the left on the vast majority of Americans.

Sea hag still bitching about gay marriage.....

Nope...just getting the proper discussion where it belongs. Whenever marriage licenses are mentioned, CCW permits are brought up as a strawman so I thought I'd get the discussion going on its own merits.

Not really...there is this thing called the second amendment that clearly spells out the rights of gun owners. It has been bastardized by the left for many, many years and now, the pendulum is swinging the other way - thank God.

And that's why I find it refreshing that states (such as Kansas) have done away with all licensing requirements (including CCW). Let's be honest here. People have been carrying "illegally" for as long as I can remember. Why not use the second amendment as it was intended, rather than trying to invent ways to force the will of a few on the left on the vast majority of Americans.
Ohio may follow suit -- the bill is likely to pass thru the legislature, anyway.

And you're sure the difference in standards between CCW permits would also be so great? Can you give examples?
Yeah. In NYC you need to show good reason why you need a permit. There is a background check and you must list the firearm to be carried. The permit specifies the lmited areas you can carry. In Indiana you fill out a form, pay a small fee and carry pretty much whatever you want whenever and wherever.

Forum List

Back