College Blocks Facebook for a Week

Modbert, there has been more'n one study concluding that technology has the effect of fracturing concentration, and that heavy users sacrifice higher functions in favor of enhanced multi-tasking skills. Anyone who has ever turned down the radio whilst lost in the car can tell you...concentration requires effort.

But in any event, I think it's a different issue at a college than a K-12 school.

Cool...forcing the kids to live back in the stone age...I remember in highschool when we used to have a day when everyone dressed up like it was the 1960s.

:lol:

Living without facebook on the college owned network is forcing them to live back in the stoneage? Come on.

Modbert, there has been more'n one study concluding that technology has the effect of fracturing concentration, and that heavy users sacrifice higher functions in favor of enhanced multi-tasking skills. Anyone who has ever turned down the radio whilst lost in the car can tell you...concentration requires effort.

But in any event, I think it's a different issue at a college than a K-12 school.

Of course anything that causes massive amounts of procrastination will fracture concentration. So do friends, I wonder if this college will block people from talking and hanging out with friends for a week next. :lol:

I really don't see the point of this. I think just about everybody who isn't totally out of touch with technology in the first place understand just how important social networking and the internet in general are important in everyday lives.

For many, Facebook is the primary function of communicating with friends they may not see elsewhere for various reasons (different state, colleges, etc.)

Instead of rejecting social networking, schools should embrace it and open themselves to a number of new opportunities. My school uses facebook to tell students about upcoming events they might not know otherwise because they may not always read through the student activities email. Also during bad weather, they use FB to let students know there will be no classes.

Just my two cents.

There are IM programs, ventrillo and phone calls to keep in touch. Email all kinds of shit. That don't fly with me that you must have Facebook.

Of course anything that causes massive amounts of procrastination will fracture concentration. So do friends, I wonder if this college will block people from talking and hanging out with friends for a week next. :lol:

Be real man.

Cool...forcing the kids to live back in the stone age...I remember in highschool when we used to have a day when everyone dressed up like it was the 1960s.

Living without facebook on the college owned network is forcing them to live back in the stoneage? Come on.

Indeed. It's their network and they can do with it what they want.

There are IM programs, ventrillo and phone calls to keep in touch. Email all kinds of shit. That don't fly with me that you must have Facebook.

:lol: Ventrillo. This isn't WoW. Phone calls leave the dimension of not being able to have multiple conversations. IM programs I'll give you, but a lot of people I know aren't going to have everybody they have friended on their FB on their AIM list nor want to.

I will agree, yes, that all these other ways of contact do exist. However, FB is by far the easiest way of the bunch.

Edit: Also, emails are probably the worst of those four to try and have a actual conversation with someone.

Second Edit: I never said that facebook is a must have. I merely remarked (a true fact by the way) that it's a primary form of communication for many people.

:lol: Ventrillo. This isn't WoW. Phone calls leave the dimension of not being able to have multiple conversations. IM programs I'll give you, but a lot of people I know aren't going to have everybody they have friended on their FB on their AIM list nor want to.

I will agree, yes, that all these other ways of contact do exist. However, FB is by far the easiest way of the bunch.

Edit: Also, emails are probably the worst of those four to try and have a actual conversation with someone.

Second Edit: I never said that facebook is a must have. I merely remarked (a true fact by the way) that it's a primary form of communication for many people.

If there is anything I know about Americans it's that we are a creative people. Without Facebook, these students will get along just fine. I believe you know this already, you just like to argue.

If there is anything I know about Americans it's that we are a creative people. Without Facebook, these students will get along just fine. I believe you know this already, you just like to argue.

:lol: Well I never said they wouldn't. I just honestly didn't see the point of them doing this as I remarked in my opening post. And as you pointed out, there are always other ways to communicate.

I find it interesting to discuss these things, what can I say. :lol:

Modbert - any addiction of any kind can negatively impact ones life. While not all users are addicted, many are and they don't even know it. That is the purpose of this experiment.

Hell - there are a few colleges that are banning laptops altogether just for this reason.

Modbert - any addiction of any kind can negatively impact ones life. While not all users are addicted, many are and they don't even know it. That is the purpose of this experiment.

Hell - there are a few colleges that are banning laptops altogether just for this reason.

The experiment worked. Frankly? I didn't think it was necessary and a no brainer. It's Human nature.

People are social creatures. If you ban facebook, they'll just find another way to communicate. Short of locking them up in a padded cell and isolating them, they will find a way to continue their "addiction." All this so called experiment confirmed is a lot of people rely on Facebook for communication. What a waste of money for paying whoever came up with this experiment.

Any college that bans laptops (and I assume desktops as well) are going to have to make up for the fact that the majority of professors these days want assignments done on the computer. I can imagine how well a college of say 10,000 kids get to share 100 computers would work out. :cuckoo:

How in the hell can anyone get addicted to facebook? WTF is there to DO on facebook, apart from those goofy games? If I try hard I can waste 15 minutes a day there....am I doing it wrong?

How are they doing this, chanel? What technology would allow the college to block only certain websites?

good lord, madeline....get a grip!

what's it to you anyway?

it's their colleges...YOU don't make the rules....

How in the hell can anyone get addicted to facebook? WTF is there to DO on facebook, apart from those goofy games? If I try hard I can waste 15 minutes a day there....am I doing it wrong?

No, it's just your brain requires more than just goofy bullshit to be entertained. Ever try LSD?

What is the big deal. Looks like nothing buy an experiment to show people how much they depend on it. harmless.

What I do not get about the whole Face Book, Twitter deal is how much people are willing to share on those sites. Just do not get it. People are actually having their homes robbed here in Michigan as Crooks monitory Face book and get details about when they are home and when they are not.

Get a grip people.

Last edited:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm with you, but trust me there are plenty. When I check out some people's pages it seems they are on 24 hours a day.

My son admitted his addiction to Twitter and finally gave that up, but I get very concerned when I see how many times he posts a day on facebook. He also blogs, is on myspace music, and has a youtube channel for his band. I wonder where his addictive personality comes from. :eusa_whistle:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm with you, but trust me there are plenty. When I check out some people's pages it seems they are on 24 hours a day.

My son admitted his addiction to Twitter and finally gave that up, but I get very concerned when I see how many times he posts a day on facebook. He also blogs, is on myspace music, and has a youtube channel for his band. I wonder where his addictive personality comes from. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back