Taught For America A Chronicle of Failure

Deplorable Yankee

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2019
DIXIE
The pseudonymous author of the following diary was by his own account a white male from a privileged background with a savior complex when he joined Teach for America out of college in 2008. I hesitate to call the experience he recounts here — of instantaneous and total defeat by a vast social breakdown far beyond the ken of any 24-year old to stem — the modal experience of the idealistic young people who joined the program. But anyone who has spoken to anyone who has ventured into some of the impoverished, segregated public schools into which TFA has sent thousands of graduates of America’s elite universities after a five-week bootcamp knows that his experiences are far from outlying. TFA, which built out an alternative pipeline into teaching outside of the schools of education, is one of the primary vehicles through which a cohort of elite college graduates have acquired first-hand exposure to America’s poorest, most segregated cities. For many like our author, no amount of prior reading or absorption of popular culture depicting those settings could prepare them for what they would witness.

long interesting read about a teacher who went to the ghetto

The pseudonymous author of the following diary was by his own account a white male from a privileged background with a savior complex when he joined Teach for America out of college in 2008. I hesitate to call the experience he recounts here — of instantaneous and total defeat by a vast social breakdown far beyond the ken of any 24-year old to stem — the modal experience of the idealistic young people who joined the program. But anyone who has spoken to anyone who has ventured into some of the impoverished, segregated public schools into which TFA has sent thousands of graduates of America’s elite universities after a five-week bootcamp knows that his experiences are far from outlying. TFA, which built out an alternative pipeline into teaching outside of the schools of education, is one of the primary vehicles through which a cohort of elite college graduates have acquired first-hand exposure to America’s poorest, most segregated cities. For many like our author, no amount of prior reading or absorption of popular culture depicting those settings could prepare them for what they would witness.

Right.

This is a cultural problem; it's a societal problem. But of course half the board here would say it's all on the teachers.

Sure.

Yep.

People expect a lot from cops and teachers for very mediocre pay.

Good cops and good teachers--and there are still plenty of both--give well over and above their pay for, believe me, quickly diminishing returns.

I volunteer led an extra-curricular group after school this spring. 20 years ago the parents would have banded together and got me a little something. This year, two parents sent thank you emails.

I don't do it for kudos and thanks, but this is indicative of where we are as a society. Gratitude is all but dead. Entitlement is at an all-time high.

I do not OWE your children my free time. End of story.

Good cops and good teachers--and there are still plenty of both--give well over and above their pay for, believe me, quickly diminishing returns.

I volunteer led an extra-curricular group after school this spring. 20 years ago the parents would have banded together and got me a little something. This year, two parents sent thank you emails.

I don't do it for kudos and thanks, but this is indicative of where we are as a society. Gratitude is all but dead. Entitlement is at an all-time high.

I do not OWE your children my free time. End of story.
At least they pretend to appreciate teachers still.

You said nothing of substance about the article. Elaborate.

Right.

This is a cultural problem; it's a societal problem. But of course half the board here would say it's all on the teachers.

Sure.

Yep.

The kid mocking the teacher pulled his desk up next to the teachers desk and was making sad faces is pretty funny

It is pretty sad what's going on

Forum List

Back