Coal fired plants

Why would I want to break one? That's a false premise. To make a valid comparison, you need to treat each example the same, i.e. in normal use. I could just as easily ask you, "what about injecting fish broth into your veins?" It would make as much sense. :cool:
uh huh... accidents never happen, huh?

Acciedents happen, but the risk is small. It would take 100 light bulbs to equal the amount in one old time thermometer. Also, for valid comparison you'd have to give us figures on fish "accidently" eaten or air "accidently" breathed! :lol::lol::lol:
And they've been banning Mercury thermometers for this very reason. So who's telling the truth here? The "Mercury's not a problem in CFLs" crowd or the "Mercury in a thermometer or fish is going to kill you" crowd.

Love your doublethink KommieKonnie.

Ah, so nice to have all that mercury in the air. So good for the neurological development of the children of this nation.

The same morons who claim to be so concerned about mercury poisoning children won't hesitate to feed their kids a nice helping of Salmon or Grouper that was caught in an ocean filled with Mercury.

We have plenty of alternatives to the coal fired plants. The dirtiest ones should be shut down immediatly. Anyone of them that is grandfathered in on the pre-1975 standards should be shut down. And more stringent regulations applied to the rest of them, until the alternatives are in place to generate the needed power, then they should be shut down.

The alternatives are all far more expensive. This move by the Obama administration is likely to double the cost of electricity. That means every poor family will have to spend $100-$200 more on electricity rather than on nutritious food for their children, or on orthodontia or books.

The proponents of this measure are lying their asses off when they claim they are motivated by concern for children. They couldn't give a rats ass about children, especially children in poor families.

As we see more and more consequences of the warming of the globe, we will have a choice. A phased out termination of fossil fuel use, or, a decade or so later than the phased out process would have been done, an adrupt and wrenching cessation of the use of fossil fuels.

Do we? Can you produce a single case of someone being poisoned by mercury?

Given the present idiocy on this issue by so many, we will get the wrenching alternative. And the more severe consequences that go with that extra decade or so of fossil fuel use.

So you want to impose the "wrenching alternative" now rather than later?

Talk about idiocies.

Alternatives cost more up front, but less in the long run. Look at Geothermal for your home as an example... You could purchase a traditional HVAC system for about 10K...OR you could do the Geothermal equivalent for $25k. The difference? in 7-10 years your initial investment has been paid for by the savings in your electric/oil/gas bill.

The problem is with the "for profit" nature of energy. Once that initial investment is paid off... you know as well as I do that the Company that installs a solar array or a windfarm isn't going to adjust the bills accordingly.

Acciedents happen, but the risk is small. It would take 100 light bulbs to equal the amount in one old time thermometer. Also, for valid comparison you'd have to give us figures on fish "accidently" eaten or air "accidently" breathed! :lol::lol::lol:
And they've been banning Mercury thermometers for this very reason. So who's telling the truth here? The "Mercury's not a problem in CFLs" crowd or the "Mercury in a thermometer or fish is going to kill you" crowd.

Mercury in a thermometer or CFL won't kill you! Where did you get that notion? How's that supposed to work? Fish, on the other hand, are ingested. Are you so biased, even simple logic can't get in the way of your off-the-wall rants? :lol::lol::lol:

Candidate #1 for Biggest racist douche on the board.

I don't think he can take the title away from Yidnar though.

How is calling Obama a Marxist Macaca cocksucker, in any way racist?

Yeah....

Macaca (genus), the macaque, a group of Old World monkey species

Your the racist, seeing it where it isnt. See how your mind works Douche. He is refering to CACA as in shit, you know shit president. Fucking tard.

Mercury in a thermometer or CFL won't kill you! Where did you get that notion? How's that supposed to work? Fish, on the other hand, are ingested. Are you so biased, even simple logic can't get in the way of your off-the-wall rants? :lol::lol::lol:
So, breathing in mercury vapor from a coal fired power plant is bad.

Breathing in mercury vapor from an incinerator is bad.

Breathing in mercury vapor from a broken thermometer is bad.

Eating mercury in fish or other seafood is bad.

Breathing in mercury vapor from a broken CFL is... not bad?

I dunno. I'm just sensing some sort of intellectual incongruity here.

The power companies would rather shut down the plants than spend the money to clean up their act.

How is calling Obama a Marxist Macaca cocksucker, in any way racist?

Yeah....

Macaca (genus), the macaque, a group of Old World monkey species

Your the racist, seeing it where it isnt. See how your mind works Douche. He is refering to CACA as in shit, you know shit president. Fucking tard.

Riiiight that's why he put the M in front of it. Veiled racism is still racism, whether you like it or not.

Got trouble reading? Breathing in mercury is always bad. What I was saying is that in normal use, CFLs and thermometers AREN'T bad, but mercury-laced fish IS. Broken CFLs and thermometers equate to spoiled fish, NOT that which someone would eat.

Apples and oranges.
horseshit and bullshit.

To each his own, but I'd worry about that diet. Sooner or later you turn into O'Limbeck! :cool:
In case you haven't noticed, I'm not swallowing either of your favorite delicacies you're serving. But since you've been shoveling shit for so long, I doubt you'd notice the blatant doublethink in your rhetoric.

Big brother would be proud of you. 2 minutes of hate anyone? More equal than others?

Pfft.

Got trouble reading? Breathing in mercury is always bad. What I was saying is that in normal use, CFLs and thermometers AREN'T bad, but mercury-laced fish IS. Broken CFLs and thermometers equate to spoiled fish, NOT that which someone would eat.
but yet you want potential mercury spills put in every light socket, but remove all mercury thermometers and coal fired plants to prevent any mercury vapors from those.

Nope! No double think here. Good little plebe.

Using this rule the Obama Administration is in the process of shutting down over 100 coal fired electric generating plants and causing the operating costs of the rest to increase.

Clean Air Mercury Rule | US EPA

Now mind you this is an election year so Kind Obama has ask the EPA to wait till NEXT year to actually close the plants and increase 60 percent of the Countries electric bills.

As I mentioned earlier, if you had read your own link, you would have seen the Clean Air Mercury Rule was established in...2005.

Who was President in 2005? Hmmmmm. It's on the tip of my tongue...

Also, you seem to assume these plants will be shut down and...that's the end of the story. Less power for the masses.

Stupid assumption.

https://www.progress-energy.com/com...ponsibility-report/customers/powersystem.page

In 2009, Progress Energy announced our plan to permanently shut down 11 coal-fired units, totaling nearly 1,500 MW, at four sites in North Carolina by the end of 2017. These units are our remaining coal-fired power plants in the state that do not have flue-gas desulfurization controls (scrubbers). The plan represents about 30 percent of the company’s coal-fired power generation fleet in North Carolina.

And that is where you would have the story end. 1500 MW less power.

However:

We must replace this generation to ensure continued reliable electric service; therefore, we plan to build two new, state-of-the-art, natural gas combined-cycle power plants. These will be a 950-MW plant at the Lee Energy Complex and a 600-MW plant at the Sutton Energy Complex. We broke ground on the new Lee plant in September 2010 and expect it to be online in 2013. Preliminary work is under way on the new gas-fueled Sutton power plant, which is scheduled to be online in 2013.

The company also has a 600-MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle plant coming online in June 2011 at its Richmond Energy Complex. Due to our fleet modernization strategy, by 2015 we will have added almost 2,200 MW of cleaner-burning gas capacity for our customers in the Carolinas.

Lose 1500 dirty power, gain 2200 cleaner power. Natural gas is the wave of the future. The price has plummeted by more than two thirds in recent years.

Last edited:

Love your doublethink KommieKonnie.

More mercury comes from cremating the dead than comes from coal fired power plants, but you don't see the warmist cult members campaigning to have the practice of cremation ended.

Using this rule the Obama Administration is in the process of shutting down over 100 coal fired electric generating plants and causing the operating costs of the rest to increase.

Clean Air Mercury Rule | US EPA

Now mind you this is an election year so Kind Obama has ask the EPA to wait till NEXT year to actually close the plants and increase 60 percent of the Countries electric bills.

As I mentioned earlier, if you had read your own link, you would have seen the Clean Air Mercury Rule was established in...2005.

Who was President in 2005? Hmmmmm. It's on the tip of my tongue...

Also, you seem to assume these plants will be shut down and...that's the end of the story. Less power for the masses.

Stupid assumption.

https://www.progress-energy.com/com...ponsibility-report/customers/powersystem.page

In 2009, Progress Energy announced our plan to permanently shut down 11 coal-fired units, totaling nearly 1,500 MW, at four sites in North Carolina by the end of 2017. These units are our remaining coal-fired power plants in the state that do not have flue-gas desulfurization controls (scrubbers). The plan represents about 30 percent of the company’s coal-fired power generation fleet in North Carolina.

And that is where you would have the story end. 1500 MW less power.

However:

We must replace this generation to ensure continued reliable electric service; therefore, we plan to build two new, state-of-the-art, natural gas combined-cycle power plants. These will be a 950-MW plant at the Lee Energy Complex and a 600-MW plant at the Sutton Energy Complex. We broke ground on the new Lee plant in September 2010 and expect it to be online in 2013. Preliminary work is under way on the new gas-fueled Sutton power plant, which is scheduled to be online in 2013.

The company also has a 600-MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle plant coming online in June 2011 at its Richmond Energy Complex. Due to our fleet modernization strategy, by 2015 we will have added almost 2,200 MW of cleaner-burning gas capacity for our customers in the Carolinas.

Lose 1500 dirty power, gain 2200 cleaner power. Natural gas is the wave of the future. The price has plummeted by more than two thirds in recent years.
California levelized energy costs for different generation technologies in US dollars per megawatt hour (2007) Advanced Nuclear 067 67 Coal 074 74–88 Gas 087 87–346 Geothermal 067 67 Hydro power 048 48–86 Wind power 060 60 Solar 116 116–312 Biomass 047 47–117 Fuel Cell 086 86–111 Wave Power 611 611

Yep. Only costs up to 300% more than coal. Good trade off. :rolleyes:

Alternatives cost more up front, but less in the long run. Look at Geothermal for your home as an example... You could purchase a traditional HVAC system for about 10K...OR you could do the Geothermal equivalent for $25k. The difference? in 7-10 years your initial investment has been paid for by the savings in your electric/oil/gas bill.

How many poor families do you know that have 25k laying around to replace a perectly good heating system? Furthermore, we're talking about electric power here, not heating your home.

You think photovoltaics are cheaper in the long run? It cost $40,000 to install a 200 watt system. That's enough to power a blow dryer, and only for about 4 hours a day when the sun is almost directly overhead. Nothing is cheaper than coal, in the short term or the long term. No form of "green energy" even comes close.

The problem is with the "for profit" nature of energy. Once that initial investment is paid off... you know as well as I do that the Company that installs a solar array or a windfarm isn't going to adjust the bills accordingly.

ROFL! If you aren't using power off the grid, they can't charge you for it, so your claim is obvious moonshine. If you're referring to the local utility, wind and solar are several times more expensive, so they aren't going to lower your utility bills. They are going to drastically increase your utility bills. Utilities that have installed "green energy" have already started jacking up utility bills to pay for it.

It takes a special kind of stupid to think solar power is going to lower your total cost of energy.

When are you warmist turds going to start a campaign to outlaw seafood? How about cremation?

The power companies would rather shut down the plants than spend the money to clean up their act.

It depends on which costs more. Either way, consumers are the ones who will get it in the ass, especially low income consumers. That means children of poor families will be deprived of nutritious food, medical care, orthodontia and other things that enhance their lives because some warmist nutburgers want to ram their idiotic schemes to bring on the new utopia down everyone's throat.

Forum List

Back