Coaches that hit their players

Should they be fired? Most have been, but this guy won't be, he got caught up in the "moment."

Thoughts?

Martin apologizes for popping player on arm - College Basketball - Rivals.com

It's abusive in a really unfair way, the player can't hit him back. I didn't see how hard the hit was but Let him scream and yell but hands off, imo.

Well, from what I understand from THIS coach's story, he just hit him in the arm, he didn't go all "Woody Hayes" on him.

But yeah, could you imagine someone hitting say, Bobby Knight back!

Should they be fired? Most have been, but this guy won't be, he got caught up in the "moment."

Thoughts?

It's abusive in a really unfair way, the player can't hit him back. I didn't see how hard the hit was but Let him scream and yell but hands off, imo.

Well, from what I understand from THIS coach's story, he just hit him in the arm, he didn't go all "Woody Hayes" on him.

But yeah, could you imagine someone hitting say, Bobby Knight back!

They are scary enough when they scream and throw things. It's the kind of thing that escalates maybe the more press they get.

The players should carry firearms to defend themselves. If the coach hit them they could justifiably shoot him.

I think the player involved will know what the intent was,and if it was meant in an abusive way. The bad thing about these situations it that one bad coach/teacher can turn your child off of a sport they love to play.. which is sad. My youngest daughter used to love soccer until she ended up with a coach that made the game unpleasant for her,with his yelling and putting players he had no patience for in the same positions (never giving them a chance). I've been trying to get her back into it but she refuses now.

I think the player involved will know what the intent was,and if it was meant in an abusive way. The bad thing about these situations it that one bad coach/teacher can turn your child off of a sport they love to play.. which is sad. My youngest daughter used to love soccer until she ended up with a coach that made the game unpleasant for her,with his yelling and putting players he had no patience for in the same positions (never giving them a chance). I've been trying to get her back into it but she refuses now.

How awful! Did the parents complain about this coach? The fact that an adult "bullies" little kids for the "Win by any means necessary" train of thought makes me livid. Who do they think they are? :cuckoo:

Hitting someone who does not have the option to strike back should be grounds for firing.

If a player struck a coach, what would be the penalty?

How awful! Did the parents complain about this coach? The fact that an adult "bullies" little kids for the "Win by any means necessary" train of thought makes me livid. Who do they think they are? :cuckoo:

The coaches are usually parents of one of the players who volunteer for this. On the up side, most don't last for more then one season and are usually pretty good.. but every once in awhile you get one that is kinda crappy. He would call my daughter names that hurt her feelings, thinking he was being cute. One was "Walky Talky",because she wasn't a fast enough runner,and also because she had a habit of asking a ton of game/rule related questions.

Thoughts?

Kind of like when a guy gets caught up in the moment and hits his wife.

Meh....:eusa_eh:

more like a wife hitting her husband.

Most husbands, like players, aren't such big pussies as to get all whiney when their wives or coaches give them a reproachful slap.....Delilah has slapped me, but I shook it off.

We had a softball coach like that when my daughter was playing, there were two kids who had to sit out consistently and they felt like shit. All the parents were yelling at that coach towards the end, he was a jerk. Our kids just got another coach the next year.

There is no reason for that kind of behavior, the younger ones just lose interest. The parents try to tell them not to quit but having to sit out the game every week is terrible to watch and miserable for the kid..

Thoughts?

Kind of like when a guy gets caught up in the moment and hits his wife.

Meh....:eusa_eh:

more like a wife hitting her husband.

Most husbands, like players, aren't such big pussies as to get all whiney when their wives or coaches give them a reproachful slap.....Delilah has slapped me, but I shook it off.

:lol: @ Delilah but I don't excuse a coach or anyone being physically violent like that.

Last edited:
A coach should not touch the kids at all and secondly a coach should be a leader and cool headed, If the coach keeps his head in pressure filled situation the players will learn from his example.

A coach should not touch the kids at all and secondly a coach should be a leader and cool headed, If the coach keeps his head in pressure filled situation the players will learn from his example.

Yeah, you'd think so, wouldn't you?

My freshman football coach used to carry around a piece of 2x4 during practice and anytime anyone fucked up badly enough they'd get cracked in the helmet.

True story.

We had a softball coach like that when my daughter was playing, there were two kids who had to sit out consistently and they felt like shit. All the parents were yelling at that coach towards the end, he was a jerk. Our kids just got another coach the next year.

There is no reason for that kind of behavior, the younger ones just lose interest. The parents try to tell them not to quit but having to sit out the game every week is terrible to watch and miserable for the kid..

That is exactly why my daughter won't play anymore (one bad experience killed her interest). Because she couldn't run fast enough...she always had to be the goalie (and she hated it). Then to top that off she was constantly reminded of her short comings with sarcastic nicnames from the coach. A game that was supposed to be fun for her turned into something you had to drag her to every weekend.

Last edited:
My freshman football coach used to carry around a piece of 2x4 during practice and anytime anyone fucked up badly enough they'd get cracked in the helmet.

True story.

At least ya all had your helmets on!

Did anyone ever say anything about that, or was it the "status quo?"

Forum List

Back