Coaches that hit their players

My freshman football coach used to carry around a piece of 2x4 during practice and anytime anyone fucked up badly enough they'd get cracked in the helmet.

True story.

At least ya all had your helmets on!

Did anyone ever say anything about that, or was it the "status quo?"

Status quo.

And when a coach produces 4 straight (and 5 out of 6) undefeated seasons, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that's going to speak out against his methods. It was basically a football factory for the varsity team churning out extremely well disciplined players.

from the article:

“It was just in the heat of the moment; big game, lot of heated plays going on,” Merriewether said. “I mean, he hit me in the arm, it was nothing serious. (Teammate) Jacob Pullen came back right after and he hit me in the arm, too. It really wasn’t too much. I trust Frank and Frank trusts me and it was just a heat of the moment-type deal. It’s not a big deal at all.”

Martin has never been accused of inappropriate behavior with his players and Kansas State athletic director John Currie didn’t seem overly concerned after meeting with him and Merriewether following the team’s return to Manhattan on Saturday night.

“Coach Martin clearly understands his contact with Chris at the end of the game was unacceptable, regardless of the emotion of the moment,” Currie said in a statement. “I am proud of coach Martin for immediately apologizing and I expect that there will be no further such incidents.”

My freshman football coach used to carry around a piece of 2x4 during practice and anytime anyone fucked up badly enough they'd get cracked in the helmet.

True story.

At least ya all had your helmets on!

Did anyone ever say anything about that, or was it the "status quo?"

Status quo.

And when a coach produces 4 straight (and 5 out of 6) undefeated seasons, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that's going to speak out against his methods. It was basically a football factory for the varsity team churning out extremely well disciplined players.

It's amazing how many 'blind eyes' there are for a winning coach, eh?

Maybe it's the mom in me, but if my daughter (who is a freshman) or son (which I don't have,, but just saying if I did) came home and said she/he got wacked in the head with a 2X4 by the coach..........I'd be making waves, and putting it on youtube too!

Should they be fired? Most have been, but this guy won't be, he got caught up in the "moment."

Thoughts?

Martin apologizes for popping player on arm - College Basketball - Rivals.com

It's abusive in a really unfair way, the player can't hit him back. I didn't see how hard the hit was but Let him scream and yell but hands off, imo.

Well, from what I understand from THIS coach's story, he just hit him in the arm, he didn't go all "Woody Hayes" on him.

But yeah, could you imagine someone hitting say, Bobby Knight back!

Bobby Knight is an ass with issues. I've always wanted to see someone lay him out cold.

Forum List

Back