CNN Reports Surge Is Working

From what I've observed, when you are 'wrong' it's not a lie, but a mistake. Not so for anyone else. Then again, when there is something that is more than correct, you hit it with linguistics, but not something that you allow the other pov.

I had to rep you for this Kathy

More good news that libs and MM can ignore

Peter Hegseth: The surge can work, but it needs time
Peter Hegseth

Published: May 21, 2007

The New York Times recently reported that "Anbar Province ... is undergoing a surprising transformation. Violence is ebbing in many areas, shops and schools are reopening, police forces are growing and the insurgency appears to be in retreat." In response to this power shift in Anbar and Baghdad, American commanders have shifted their tactics, integrating thousands of new Iraqi police recruits into the security plan. In Ramadi alone, Americans and Iraqis now occupy over 65 combat outposts throughout the city, up from 10 a year ago. And for the first time since the invasion, America's military is finally mounting a true counter-insurgency campaign in Iraq. Far from just another "increase" in troops, the strategy being applied today by Army Gen. David Petraeus includes a complete tactical overhaul. The U.S. military is finally creating security conditions that must precede political and economic success. The question is, will Petraeus be given the time to see it through?
A brief, and admittedly incomplete, recounting of U.S. involvement in Iraq clarifies previous failures:

In 2003 and 2004, prevailing wisdom labeled insurgents "dead-enders" and the word "insurgency" was inadmissible. Hence, U.S. strategy emphasized conventional warfare and military tactics centered on killing and capturing the enemy. It soon became clear that the United States could not fight its way out of Iraq with bullets alone.

In 2005 and 2006, faced with a growing insurgency fueled by sectarian brutality, U.S. strategy focused on buying time to train Iraqi security forces and prop up a fledgling government. While the number of Iraqi soldiers and police grew -- and both Sunni and Shiite voted en masse -- the security situation deteriorated; and Iraqi security forces were prematurely thrust into violent streets they were undertrained and ill-equipped to handle.

My platoon was in Baghdad, and later in Samarra, during this time, and for the most part, we operated out of large, fortified bases that were located outside population centers and susceptible only to mortar fire. We left the bases to patrol major roads, conduct offensive operations or resupply our own troops, and were told that the population at-large was not our chief concern. Our tactics, reflecting the overall strategy of propping up the Iraqis, were not effective in defeating the insurgency.

Enter Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's resignation, "the surge," and the appointment of Petraeus, the man who literally wrote the military manual on counterinsurgency. In January, he landed in Baghdad with more troops and a unanimous Senate mandate; but more importantly, he was determined to adjust U.S. military strategy and bring about a long-overdue change in tactics.

Now the general is shifting American strategy towards setting the security conditions for a political solution, because he understands that a strong Iraqi government cannot emerge without safer streets.

Americans are moving out of Burger King-filled megabases and into local neighborhoods to protect the population; in tandem with Iraqi counterparts, they are forging relationships with local citizens, marginalizing the enemy and filling the power void insurgents leave behind. Petreaus is putting troops in harm's way in order to hasten security improvements, which will ultimately shorten the war and save American and Iraqi lives.

My battalion's relationship with one brave Iraqi leader in 2006 almost single-handedly dismantled the local insurgency in Samarra, leaving the city tranquil for weeks. However, our conventional tactics did not reinforce these gains, and Samarra slid backwards. I often lie awake at night, wondering what that relationship -- coupled with the right tactics -- could have done for Samarra.

I share Americans' frustration with this difficult war, but this frustration does not change the underlying reality: The safety of America depends on the outcome of the battle in the streets of Iraq. Our enemies -- radical Islamists waging a global insurgency -- already exalt their victory over the Soviets in Afghanistan as proof of their ascendance, and believe the weak-kneed Americans will be the second Goliath to fall at their feet.

But this need not be the case. There is a new general in town with a new strategy, and reports from Anbar and Baghdad are promising. All I ask -- as a soldier who fought next to Americans and Iraqis who died for Iraq's future -- is for the time necessary to give this winning strategy a chance.

First Lt. Pete Hegseth served in Iraq with the 101st Airborne Division and is the director of VetsforFreedom.org. He grew up in Forest Lake.

http://www.startribune.com/562/story/1193127.html

It is not spam numbnuts - only the link is on other threads

Per the rules it is not spam

I understand the last thing you want to see in good news, but learn to get over it

I read this editorial in the other thread and now I have to read past it in this thread. I already expressed my sentiments that I rejoiced in the successes that the surge has supposedly created in Baghdad and Anbar.

Hey....why don't you weigh in on my new thread about Iraqis getting along? I'd love to hear the perspective of the guy who thinks that Iran and Al Qaeda are going to join forces to slaughter millions of shiites in Iraq. Your input in THAT thread would provide some serious comedy relief!

I read this editorial in the other thread and now I have to read past it in this thread. I already expressed my sentiments that I rejoiced in the successes that the surge has supposedly created in Baghdad and Anbar.

Hey....why don't you weigh in on my new thread about Iraqis getting along? I'd love to hear the perspective of the guy who thinks that Iran and Al Qaeda are going to join forces to slaughter millions of shiites in Iraq. Your input in THAT thread would provide some serious comedy relief!

I understand you would perfer not having the article seeing the light of day but only the link was listed on the other threads

I can also understand your joy in seeing millions slaughtered in Iraq - the Dems surredner bill will only help the terrorists in accomplishing thier goals - then you can bklame the US and Pres Bush for it

I understand you would perfer not having the article seeing the light of day but only the link was listed on the other threads

I can also understand your joy in seeing millions slaughtered in Iraq - the Dems surredner bill will only help the terrorists in accomplishing thier goals - then you can bklame the US and Pres Bush for it

don't insult me. I take no joy in anyone's slaughter. and you never answered my question about when we finally do leave Iraq....given the fact that our enemies will still be there, won't any departure EVER be a "surrender" by your definition?

don't insult me. I take no joy in anyone's slaughter. and you never answered my question about when we finally do leave Iraq....given the fact that our enemies will still be there, won't any departure EVER be a "surrender" by your definition?

Not when the government can handle the situation

How can I insult you with the truth?

Oh, to liberals, the truth is an insult and hate speech

Sorrry

Not when the government can handle the situation

How can I insult you with the truth?

Oh, to liberals, the truth is an insult and hate speech

Sorrry

saying that I experience joy at the slaughter of millions is not the truth...it is a cowardly insult. Something you would never dare say to my face.

saying that I experience joy at the slaughter of millions is not the truth...it is a cowardly insult. Something you would never dare say to my face.

I would - I do not back down from the truth

Libs see Iraq as a defeat for Bush - not a defeat for the US

Any good news from Iraq is bad news for the Dems

You do resemble that remark

Let's say that's true. Who cares? Are you superstitious? Most girls are, are you a girl? Do you believe that if the "Dems" were wishing for bad news from Iraq that would make bad news happen?

Stop whining and get hold of yourself girl! There's bad news out of Iraq everyday. What the dems do or don't "feel about it" is irrelevant. A school getting built here or there doesn't negate the 15 US troops who died in the past two days. Unless it does to you? Do you not support our troops? Do you laugh at their deaths because a school might be built next month?

Let's say that's true. Who cares? Are you superstitious? Most girls are, are you a girl? Do you believe that if the "Dems" were wishing for bad news from Iraq that would make bad news happen?

Stop whining and get hold of yourself girl! There's bad news out of Iraq everyday. What the dems do or don't "feel about it" is irrelevant. A school getting built here or there doesn't negate the 15 US troops who died in the past two days. Unless it does to you? Do you not support our troops? Do you laugh at their deaths because a school might be built next month?

actually the news out of Iraq is generally good news. But that doesn't sit well with the MSM's bias so they can't report all the good things going on. I love how a "reporter" in the Green Zone can pay an Iraqi, tell them what story they want, send him off, have NO way to check if in fact what he brings back is true or not, BUT thats NEWS. Meanwhile Military press reports are "Propaganda"

Red States RUle is the most vile sort of coward. He continues to wave pompoms for a war he knows next to nothing about. Daily, he shows his total ignorance of the various groups involved in the conflict.... he routinely suggests that the grand plan is for the persian shiites from Iran to join up with their natural enemies, the arab wahabbist sunnis of Al Qaeda and together they will run Iraq. He has no idea how Iraqi shi'ites will play any role in all of that - he only suggests that this Iranian-Al Qaeda alliance will slaughter millions....and then control all of Iraq's oil... and then use the oil profits to fund terrorism around the world.... and only superman, disguised as a mild mannered bumbling illiterate child of privilege now serving undercover as president of the united states can possibly save us from the results this nefarious and evil alliance.

He really needs to put down the comic books and come out of that dingy back room in his Mom's doublewide and get a grasp on reality...

Your insistance that civil war is a forgone conclusion is moronic and not supported by the facts. Your claim that if we just abandon Iraq now it will be the same result as if we stay till the Iraq Government can protect its borders and provide internal security is also clueless and NOT supported by the facts.

Your refusal to realize if we abandon Iraq now we will be forced to return in a few years and do it all over again ignores the reality of what resources the world needs and are in Iraq. Your claim that there is no danger that a fractured , ineffective Government in Iraq won't lead to areas controlled by terrorist with access to oil revenue, that there is no Danger Iran will simply dominate Iraq and then use that to dominate the rest of the middle East is lacking in intelligence and reality also.

Your insistance that civil war is a forgone conclusion is moronic and not supported by the facts. Your claim that if we just abandon Iraq now it will be the same result as if we stay till the Iraq Government can protect its borders and provide internal security is also clueless and NOT supported by the facts.

Your refusal to realize if we abandon Iraq now we will be forced to return in a few years and do it all over again ignores the reality of what resources the world needs and are in Iraq. Your claim that there is no danger that a fractured , ineffective Government in Iraq won't lead to areas controlled by terrorist with access to oil revenue, that there is no Danger Iran will simply dominate Iraq and then use that to dominate the rest of the middle East is lacking in intelligence and reality also.

Let me ask you again cuz I don't think you have answered these basic questions:

have you read The Arab Mind by Raphael Patai? yes or no?

Do you even begin to understand the rigid hierarchy of loyalties that rule the social interactions of Arabs? yes or no?

Do you even begin to understand the depth of the enmity between sunni and shiite? yes or no?

your answers will tell me where we need to go in terms of this discussion.

It doesn't matter one bit. Iran is not ARAB. And Iran has every intention of either directly controlling the oil in the middle east or haveing a controlling interest.

And your "required reading" is just an attempt by you to control the conversation. Sunni and Shiite are even as we speak COOPERATING, your claim they can not and will never is false and is proven by events and reality in not JUST Iraq.

Forum List

Back