Clowns WTF?

Does anyone actually like clowns? I think they appear evil and there's just something wrong about them.

So I've commented several times about my phobia of clowns, I can handle a picture of clowns, but physical clowns are not good, of course I've always avoided any situation where I might happen upon a clown.

I've had this phobia since I was about 4 years-old.

I've met other people who hate clowns, does anyone actually like clowns?
I don't like clowns either. In fact, I never liked the circus, my family found it funny that I never wanted to go.
Clowns don't bother me. I never wanted to go to the circus because even as a kid, I knew it was wrong to make elephants sit, roll over like a dog, and do "tricks" for human entertainment. I went ONCE....but not inside the tent. I went to where they were feeding and washing the elephants but I couldn't get close enough to them to tell them I was sorry they were chained at the leg and that I loved them. Then Ma dragged me away because I started a scene by crying.
I was in my 30's when I burst into tears at Barnum & Bailey's, when their famous really old elephant (whose name I can't remember) came into the ring loaded with circus gimcracks. He was WAY larger than the others and he looked so old and tired and the indignity of the 'costume' and the situation just killed me. He passed away shortly after that, of old age, they said.
That being said, I LOVE the circus. The fire eaters and the tightrope walkers and the human cannonball and the smart little dogs, not to mention the candied apples and the peanuts. The smaller the circus, the better--it's all right there at your feet in a two bit traveling circus tent.
Back to the CLOWNS, though. People are afraid of clowns, I think, because of their "mask." Their comedy is slapstick and if they're really good, mime. Kids are the ones who find that the biggest hoot.
The 'smart little dogs' have their feet burnt as part of their training. Not so cute.
By whom?
It used to be common practice, a lot of animals were being abused so they'd behave the way the trainers wanted them to. Horses, elephants, tigers... It was cruel and unusual punishment. Those people should have been in prison.

Does anyone actually like clowns? I think they appear evil and there's just something wrong about them.

So I've commented several times about my phobia of clowns, I can handle a picture of clowns, but physical clowns are not good, of course I've always avoided any situation where I might happen upon a clown.

I don't like clowns either. In fact, I never liked the circus, my family found it funny that I never wanted to go.
Clowns don't bother me. I never wanted to go to the circus because even as a kid, I knew it was wrong to make elephants sit, roll over like a dog, and do "tricks" for human entertainment. I went ONCE....but not inside the tent. I went to where they were feeding and washing the elephants but I couldn't get close enough to them to tell them I was sorry they were chained at the leg and that I loved them. Then Ma dragged me away because I started a scene by crying.
I was in my 30's when I burst into tears at Barnum & Bailey's, when their famous really old elephant (whose name I can't remember) came into the ring loaded with circus gimcracks. He was WAY larger than the others and he looked so old and tired and the indignity of the 'costume' and the situation just killed me. He passed away shortly after that, of old age, they said.
That being said, I LOVE the circus. The fire eaters and the tightrope walkers and the human cannonball and the smart little dogs, not to mention the candied apples and the peanuts. The smaller the circus, the better--it's all right there at your feet in a two bit traveling circus tent.
Back to the CLOWNS, though. People are afraid of clowns, I think, because of their "mask." Their comedy is slapstick and if they're really good, mime. Kids are the ones who find that the biggest hoot.

I hate seeing animals in the zoo or at the circus. It always makes me feel bad for them. I remember going to the zoo and looking at the monkeys, and they just stared back at me, as if to say, "what are you looking at, we aren't freaks here for your amusement." That really struck me.

I also remember a small local zoo that had a big elephant chained at the ankle in a barn and everyone was piled in there to look at it. I felt so sorry for it, and I also was a bit intimidated, thinking that chain would probably not hold that elephant if he was to suddenly freak out. People could be killed if that ever happened (this was years ago and I believe they transferred that elephant to another zoo). I got us out of there pronto though. I didn't feel safe at all.

The 'smart little dogs' have their feet burnt as part of their training. Not so cute.
By whom?
It used to be common practice, a lot of animals were being abused so they'd behave the way the trainers wanted them to. Horses, elephants, tigers... It was cruel and unusual punishment. Those people should have been in prison.

I posted a video here once about how they "train" the poor elephants. They separate the babies from their mothers and the babies cry and wail for their mothers. They are left alone for like 48 hours to "break their wills." They use cattle prods (with electricity) to get them to perform tricks. All of this for OUR entertainment. Sickening. :(

I love elephants. They are one of my favorite animals. They are so intelligent. They mourn their dead for YEARS. They have been known to go back and visit the site of where one of their family members died for years later.

By whom?

I posted a video here once about how they "train" the poor elephants. They separate the babies from their mothers and the babies cry and wail for their mothers. They are left alone for like 48 hours to "break their wills." They use cattle prods (with electricity) to get them to perform tricks. All of this for OUR entertainment. Sickening. :(
I so hope they are more enlightened about what they are doing to these poor animals these days.

elephant-training4.jpg

The elephants cry out, but there is no one there to help them.

By whom?
I'm glad you're putting this in the past tense.

I love elephants. They are one of my favorite animals. They are so intelligent. They mourn their dead for YEARS. They have been known to go back and visit the site of where one of their family members died for years later.
Me, too.

elephant-training4.jpg

I can't cope with this sort of thing, it's just too awful :crybaby:

I agree. It's awful and terribly disturbing. That's why I don't go to circuses anymore. :( I hate thinking about how the animals are treated. I feel the same about zoos. Unless the animal is not capable of caring for itself in the wild, it is just not right to cage those kinds of wild animals. They normally have territories that span hundreds of miles. They don't belong in a zoo just to "entertain" us people.

elephant-training4.jpg

I can't cope with this sort of thing, it's just too awful :crybaby:

I agree. It's awful and terribly disturbing. That's why I don't go to circuses anymore. :( I hate thinking about how the animals are treated. I feel the same about zoos. Unless the animal is not capable of caring for itself in the wild, it is just not right to cage those kinds of wild animals. They normally have territories that span hundreds of miles. They don't belong in a zoo just to "entertain" us people.

I don't agree with zoos, cruelty. I think those large safari parks are good, all the animals live as in the wild, but are all cared for and of course you can visit them....but I've always been against zoos.

Kids do...people that don't live in fear do........Harpo Marx was and is one of my favorite clowns...

I'm not afraid of clowns, but I've never enjoyed them, either.

I don't really see their point.
Growing up in rural Iowa, I learned that rodeo clowns are useful in distracting agitated animals. In venues like Cirque du Soleil, they entertain (or distract, if you're not amused) between acts.

And the friendly ones, like Bozo, actually do entertain children.

Basically, they're distractions, and they liberate you from your children for a couple hours. That's about all.

"I learned that rodeo clowns"

You have clowns at a rodeo?

Yes; they distract the bulls after the rider is thrown.

Greg

I didn't know this, how weird.
I went to a rodeo in Texas a few years ago, but I don't remember the clowns.

I'm not afraid of clowns, but I've never enjoyed them, either.

I don't really see their point.
Growing up in rural Iowa, I learned that rodeo clowns are useful in distracting agitated animals. In venues like Cirque du Soleil, they entertain (or distract, if you're not amused) between acts.

And the friendly ones, like Bozo, actually do entertain children.

Basically, they're distractions, and they liberate you from your children for a couple hours. That's about all.

"I learned that rodeo clowns"

You have clowns at a rodeo?

Yes; they distract the bulls after the rider is thrown.

Greg

I didn't know this, how weird.
I went to a rodeo in Texas a few years ago, but I don't remember the clowns.

Was that because you'd been drinking too much Tequila? :popcorn:

I love these beautifiul creatures, Puffin birds, they're very Clownesque, now I've got no phobia about these darlings :smile:

tumblr_inline_mjcoan158D1qz4rgp.jpg

puffin-group-ff.jpg

I love these beautifiul creatures, Puffin birds, they're very Clownesque, now I've got no phobia about these darlings :smile:

tumblr_inline_mjcoan158D1qz4rgp.jpg

puffin-group-ff.jpg

Yum!! Puffins!

puffins-honey-rice.png

Oosie, don't you dare put ketchup on 'em. :nono:

Forum List

Back