City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings

You leftist ignorant twits don't get it. You're not going to force anyone violate their religious beliefs on gay marriage. You're living in a fantasy.

We all knew this was coming.

City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings Fox News

Two Christian ministers who own an Idaho wedding chapel were told they had to either perform same-sex weddings or face jail time and up to a $1,000 fine, according to a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court.
Alliance Defending Freedom is representing Donald and Evelyn Knapp, ordained ministers who own the Hitching Post Wedding Chapel in Coeur d’Alene.

“Right now they are at risk of being prosecuted,” their ADF attorney, Jeremy Tedesco, told me. “The threat of enforcement is more than just credible.”

“The Knapps are in fear that if they exercise their First Amendment rights they will be cited, prosecuted and sent to jail.”
- Alliance Defending Freedom attorney, Jeremy Tedesco

According to the lawsuit, the wedding chapel is registered with the state as a “religious corporation” limited to performing “one-man-one-woman marriages as defined by the Holy Bible.”

I'd like to know why the story refers to them as ministers since we're not referring to a church. It's a business. Could it possibly be an attempt to confuse people into thinking that it IS a church if they don't read the whole story?

Be that as it may, I don't see where the ministers were either arrested, or sued, or even served with any kind of papers. No doubt they merely inquired as to what the fines might be, and they were told what the provisions of the law would be to any BUSINESS that refused to marry someone who's granted a duly-issued marriage license by the state. In such case, a business (which is licensed by the state) and it's owners don't get to decide which licenses they will honor and which ones they won't. My understanding in these matters is that churches are exempt from these kinds of laws.
They are ordained ministers.

Is their wedding chapel a for-profit business, or is it a church? If it's a business, it's irrelevant whether they're ministers or not. As a business owner, you don't get to decide which class of people you will and will not serve. Like I said, I believe churches are exempt. And private organizations can restrict their membership roles in various ways. Businesses can't.
Doesn't matter. They are not going to marry queers. Lock them up.

City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings Fox News

Two Christian ministers who own an Idaho wedding chapel were told they had to either perform same-sex weddings or face jail time and up to a $1,000 fine, according to a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court.
Alliance Defending Freedom is representing Donald and Evelyn Knapp, ordained ministers who own the Hitching Post Wedding Chapel in Coeur d’Alene.

“Right now they are at risk of being prosecuted,” their ADF attorney, Jeremy Tedesco, told me. “The threat of enforcement is more than just credible.”

“The Knapps are in fear that if they exercise their First Amendment rights they will be cited, prosecuted and sent to jail.”

According to the lawsuit, the wedding chapel is registered with the state as a “religious corporation” limited to performing “one-man-one-woman marriages as defined by the Holy Bible.”

I'd like to know why the story refers to them as ministers since we're not referring to a church. It's a business. Could it possibly be an attempt to confuse people into thinking that it IS a church if they don't read the whole story?

Be that as it may, I don't see where the ministers were either arrested, or sued, or even served with any kind of papers. No doubt they merely inquired as to what the fines might be, and they were told what the provisions of the law would be to any BUSINESS that refused to marry someone who's granted a duly-issued marriage license by the state. In such case, a business (which is licensed by the state) and it's owners don't get to decide which licenses they will honor and which ones they won't. My understanding in these matters is that churches are exempt from these kinds of laws.

They are ordained by ... wait for it .... wait for it. ...
International Church of the Foursquare Gospel.

And their chapel is .... wait for it .... wait for it .... The Hitching Post.

http://www.adfmedia.org/files/KnappComplaint.pdf

But we are supposed to treat them like a church????

I don't think so.

Wow, fixed lies and you buy them.

Find a better source...because you being lied to.

Wow, fixed lies and you buy them.

Find a better source...because you being lied to.
Go piss up a rope. If you don't like the source then prove it wrong. Idiot.

I don't think so.
You twits are hung up on what is a church and business. It doesn't matter. The issue is the ministers. They refuse to marry queers period. Lock them up. Go for it.

yeah i saw this. Local government is doing this because they have a discrimination law on the books.
Seeing how this isnt a church ( from what i have seen) and they are for pro-fit, i can see how it would not go in their favor, nor is this what the right was worried about.

If this was or is a church then no they should be able to refuse, but then their tax exempt should be stripped for being for profit.

If they are tax exempt they are registered as a church. Not so if they are a private business. They could become a church though and have an offering box for the fees.

I don't think so.
You twits are hung up on what is a church and business. It doesn't matter. The issue is the ministers. They refuse to marry queers period. Lock them up. Go for it.

Of course it matters. Otherwise, churches wouldn't have an exemption from certain laws AND they would be taxed as businesses instead of being tax exempt which I think everyone understands is routinely misused and abused by certain people who use religion to enrich themselves. But, that doesn't change the fact that people get away with it. However, they cannot and WILL not get away with running a for-profit business AND flaunting the law at the same time.

Let me tell you what that means for them regardless of how they try to spin it. If their primary concern is religious in nature, they don't have to marry gay people within their church, and no person or gov't entity can force them to do it. However, if their primary concern is money and profit (which they need a gov't license to operate), then they'll have to comply with the law. The choice is theirs.

Is their wedding chapel a for-profit business, or is it a church? If it's a business, it's irrelevant whether they're ministers or not. As a business owner, you don't get to decide which class of people you will and will not serve. Like I said, I believe churches are exempt. And private organizations can restrict their membership roles in various ways. Businesses can't.

They won't get locked up no matter how much they want to in order to get publicity.

So what? They are selling weddings to the public, they are not a church, they have to adhere to public accommodation laws. The chapel is registered as a for-profit business, their product is weddings to the public at large.

If they're forced to do it, the minister should come out wearing a Groucho Marx mask or something equally as insulting. He could make a statement of protest before the ceremony, or even chuckle through the vows. There are a lot of things he could do to ruin the memory of their "wedding". I mean, one good turn deserves another.

I don't think so.

I don't either. The Intl Church of the Four Square Gospel was founded by a celebrity faith healer (hey Jesus had the calling too), but it's not a fly by night send me a hundred bucks and you're ordained. They actually do have churches and congregations. This couple may well have been ministers at one time, but now they're operating a small business to supplement their retirement. The first amendment does not protect business.

Packages The Hitching Post

If they're forced to do it, the minister should come out wearing a Groucho Marx mask or something equally as insulting. He could make a statement of protest before the ceremony, or even chuckle through the vows. There are a lot of things he could do to ruin the memory of their "wedding". I mean, one good turn deserves another.
What minister? The minister of profit?

They won't get locked up no matter how much they want to in order to get publicity.
What makes you think they want publicity?

Whatever you want to call him.

Whatever you want to call him.
Well he sure as hell isn't working as a minister of a church in this case.

Forum List

Back