City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
We all knew this was coming.

City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings Fox News

Two Christian ministers who own an Idaho wedding chapel were told they had to either perform same-sex weddings or face jail time and up to a $1,000 fine, according to a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court.
Alliance Defending Freedom is representing Donald and Evelyn Knapp, ordained ministers who own the Hitching Post Wedding Chapel in Coeur d’Alene.

“Right now they are at risk of being prosecuted,” their ADF attorney, Jeremy Tedesco, told me. “The threat of enforcement is more than just credible.”

“The Knapps are in fear that if they exercise their First Amendment rights they will be cited, prosecuted and sent to jail.”
- Alliance Defending Freedom attorney, Jeremy Tedesco

According to the lawsuit, the wedding chapel is registered with the state as a “religious corporation” limited to performing “one-man-one-woman marriages as defined by the Holy Bible.”

City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings Fox News

Two Christian ministers who own an Idaho wedding chapel were told they had to either perform same-sex weddings or face jail time and up to a $1,000 fine, according to a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court.
Alliance Defending Freedom is representing Donald and Evelyn Knapp, ordained ministers who own the Hitching Post Wedding Chapel in Coeur d’Alene.

“Right now they are at risk of being prosecuted,” their ADF attorney, Jeremy Tedesco, told me. “The threat of enforcement is more than just credible.”

“The Knapps are in fear that if they exercise their First Amendment rights they will be cited, prosecuted and sent to jail.”

According to the lawsuit, the wedding chapel is registered with the state as a “religious corporation” limited to performing “one-man-one-woman marriages as defined by the Holy Bible.”

I'd like to know why the story refers to them as ministers since we're not referring to a church. It's a business. Could it possibly be an attempt to confuse people into thinking that it IS a church if they don't read the whole story?

Be that as it may, I don't see where the ministers were either arrested, or sued, or even served with any kind of papers. No doubt they merely inquired as to what the fines might be, and they were told what the provisions of the law would be to any BUSINESS that refused to marry someone who's granted a duly-issued marriage license by the state. In such case, a business (which is licensed by the state) and it's owners don't get to decide which licenses they will honor and which ones they won't. My understanding in these matters is that churches are exempt from these kinds of laws.

People don't forfeit constitutional rights in business. How ridiculous. I guess you all think preachers are suppose to work for free. Idiotic and ignorant.

I'd like to know why the story refers to them as ministers since we're not referring to a church. It's a business. Could it possibly be an attempt to confuse people into thinking that it IS a church if they don't read the whole story?

Be that as it may, I don't see where the ministers were either arrested, or sued, or even served with any kind of papers. No doubt they merely inquired as to what the fines might be, and they were told what the provisions of the law would be to any BUSINESS that refused to marry someone who's granted a duly-issued marriage license by the state. In such case, a business (which is licensed by the state) and it's owners don't get to decide which licenses they will honor and which ones they won't. My understanding in these matters is that churches are exempt from these kinds of laws.
They are ordained ministers.

They are ordained by ... wait for it .... wait for it. ...
International Church of the Foursquare Gospel.

And their chapel is .... wait for it .... wait for it .... The Hitching Post.

http://www.adfmedia.org/files/KnappComplaint.pdf

They are ordained by ... wait for it .... wait for it. ...
International Church of the Foursquare Gospel.

And their chapel is .... wait for it .... wait for it .... The Hitching Post.

http://www.adfmedia.org/files/KnappComplaint.pdf

Yes. Your point?

They are ordained ministers.

Is their wedding chapel a for-profit business, or is it a church? If it's a business, it's irrelevant whether they're ministers or not. As a business owner, you don't get to decide which class of people you will and will not serve. Like I said, I believe churches are exempt. And private organizations can restrict their membership roles in various ways. Businesses can't.

No to mention, why on Earth would you want to get married by someone that doesn't want to marry you?

That's retarded.

Forum List

Back