City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings

I'd preach from Romans 1 and warn them they are going to hell if they do not turn from this perversion - and I'd also tell them to repent of any expectation that God would condone such a thing and then I'd show them the door in that order. Period. If the preacher is sent to jail he will have a captive audience and can preach the entire jailhouse. It's a win-win situation all the way.

- Jeremiah

It's an all out war against Christianity - the Christian preachers must speak up for the Gospel and take a stand. There is no compromise with the devil. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever!!!!!

It's all about submission. The queer mafia has been waiting for this a long time and they're going for it. Submit or go to jail or be fined. Sick evil filth.

So what? They are selling weddings to the public, they are not a church, they have to adhere to public accommodation laws. The chapel is registered as a for-profit business, their product is weddings to the public at large.
It's a religious service. Otherwise they could just use a JP. The legalities are done by the state. So you are forcing someone to deny their religious views and accept yours, that way beyond any intent of accommodation laws. It's tyranny.

We all knew this was coming.

City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings Fox News

Two Christian ministers who own an Idaho wedding chapel were told they had to either perform same-sex weddings or face jail time and up to a $1,000 fine, according to a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court.
Alliance Defending Freedom is representing Donald and Evelyn Knapp, ordained ministers who own the Hitching Post Wedding Chapel in Coeur d’Alene.

“Right now they are at risk of being prosecuted,” their ADF attorney, Jeremy Tedesco, told me. “The threat of enforcement is more than just credible.”

“The Knapps are in fear that if they exercise their First Amendment rights they will be cited, prosecuted and sent to jail.”
- Alliance Defending Freedom attorney, Jeremy Tedesco

According to the lawsuit, the wedding chapel is registered with the state as a “religious corporation” limited to performing “one-man-one-woman marriages as defined by the Holy Bible.”

Who exactly was it who threatened to arrest them?

So what? They are selling weddings to the public, they are not a church, they have to adhere to public accommodation laws. The chapel is registered as a for-profit business, their product is weddings to the public at large.
It's a religious service. Otherwise they could just use a JP. The legalities are done by the state. So you are forcing someone to deny their religious views and accept yours, that way beyond any intent of accommodation laws. It's tyranny.
Or they could find employment with a church affiliated with the International Church of the Four Square Gospel. Or employment with any other church that recognizes their ordinations as suitable qualifications.

We all knew this was coming.

City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings Fox News

Two Christian ministers who own an Idaho wedding chapel were told they had to either perform same-sex weddings or face jail time and up to a $1,000 fine, according to a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court.
Alliance Defending Freedom is representing Donald and Evelyn Knapp, ordained ministers who own the Hitching Post Wedding Chapel in Coeur d’Alene.

“Right now they are at risk of being prosecuted,” their ADF attorney, Jeremy Tedesco, told me. “The threat of enforcement is more than just credible.”

“The Knapps are in fear that if they exercise their First Amendment rights they will be cited, prosecuted and sent to jail.”
- Alliance Defending Freedom attorney, Jeremy Tedesco

According to the lawsuit, the wedding chapel is registered with the state as a “religious corporation” limited to performing “one-man-one-woman marriages as defined by the Holy Bible.”

Should let themselves be arrested so we can resolve this question at trial.

Tyranny? That's laughable. What's happening here is the chapel owners are trying to dictate to the state which laws they will and won't abide by. If that were to fly (and it won't), it would open the floodgates as far as business owners deciding which classes of people they will serve and which ones they won't. I wonder how Christians would feel if and when someone were to tell them the following some day:

"Oh, you're a conservative Southern Baptist? I'm sorry, we don't do business with you people because we're exercising our constitutional rights of freedom of speech and freedom of assembly, and we just don't want you people here."

Think that would fly?

At any rate, try getting legally married without a marriage license issued by the state. You can have a religious service, and you may even feel like you're married in the eyes of God, but it won't be a legal marriage in the eyes of the State. The good news is that you wouldn't ever need to get a divorce if things didn't work out. A woman wouldn't be eligible for alimony either.

Last edited:
If they're forced to do it, the minister should come out wearing a Groucho Marx mask or something equally as insulting. He could make a statement of protest before the ceremony, or even chuckle through the vows. There are a lot of things he could do to ruin the memory of their "wedding". I mean, one good turn deserves another.
What minister? The minister of profit?
Whatever you want to call him.
Well he sure as hell isn't working as a minister of a church in this case.
So what? If he doesn't want to perform the ceremony he shouldn't have to, church or no church.

If they're forced to do it, the minister should come out wearing a Groucho Marx mask or something equally as insulting. He could make a statement of protest before the ceremony, or even chuckle through the vows. There are a lot of things he could do to ruin the memory of their "wedding". I mean, one good turn deserves another.
So what? If he doesn't want to perform the ceremony he shouldn't have to, church or no church.
He doesn't have to perform the ceremony, he can switch from being a public commercial enterprise to a church, or private enterprise that does not sell to the public at large.

A guy who performs weddings at a wedding chapel is NOT a minister.
But he could be an Elvis impersonator.

ELVIS PRESLEY LYRICS - Let Me Be Your Teddy Bear

And who is gonna arrest Elvis???????

Elvis is dead. Presley, not Costello.
What makes you think the ministers want publicity?

Are you kidding?

I have little doubt that they are convinced that this will make them nationally famous Christian martyrs which will enable them to collect money from all over the country while being interviewed on talk radio by both local and nationally known media figures from James Dobson to Pat Robertson to shows that are more secular in nature. They'll set up a website and collect a ton of money, and their lawyers will ham it up with all kinds of inflammatory hyperbole in order to raise the passions of people on both sides. Depending on the length of any court fight and the ultimate outcome, they'll pen a book which will be marketed to a ready made audience composed of all the names on their new mailing list of people who contributed to their court case fund.

Last edited:

A guy who performs weddings at a wedding chapel is NOT a minister.
But he could be an Elvis impersonator.

ELVIS PRESLEY LYRICS - Let Me Be Your Teddy Bear

And who is gonna arrest Elvis???????

Elvis is dead. Presley, not Costello.
What makes you think the ministers want publicity?

Are you kidding? I have little doubt that they are convinced that this will make them nationally famous Christian martyrs which will enable them to collect money from all over the country while being interviewed on talk radio by both local and nationally known media figures from James Dobson to Pat Robertson to shows that are more secular in nature. They'll set up a website and collect a ton of money, and their lawyers will ham it up with all kinds of inflammatory hyperbole in order to raise the passions of people on both sides. Depending on the length of any court fight and the ultimate outcome, they'll pen a book which will be marketed to a ready made audience composed of all the names on their new mailing list of people who contributed to their court case fund.

Very true. A mail-order "minister" looking for his 15 minutes

1. They're not christians. They're business men in a for-profit business.
2. Its not a church.
3. They're in violation of the law.

"U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit issued an order on May 13 allowing same-sex marriages to commence in Idaho on Oct. 15. Two days later, the folks at the Hitching Post received a telephone call.

A man had called to inquire about a same-sex wedding ceremony. The Hitching Post declined, putting it in violation of the law."

How about the rabid RWs make a list of which laws they should have to abide by?

No one has threatened (or even mentioned arrest).
The "ministers" attorneys actually work for an advocacy group that goes around trying to get people to file lawsuits.
The "ministers" operate a registered, for profit business - NOT a church.

Forum List

Back