City of Providence to Pink Slip All Teachers

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
PROVIDENCE — The school district plans to send out dismissal notices to every one of its 1,926 teachers, an unprecedented move that has union leaders up in arms.

In a letter sent to all teachers Tuesday, Supt. Tom Brady wrote that the Providence School Board on Thursday will vote on a resolution to dismiss every teacher, effective the last day of school.

In an e-mail sent to all teachers and School Department staff, Brady said, “We are forced to take this precautionary action by the March 1 deadline given the dire budget outline for the 2011-2012 school year in which we are projecting a near $40 million deficit for the district,” Brady wrote. “Since the full extent of the potential cuts to the school budget have yet to be determined, issuing a dismissal letter to all teachers was necessary to give the mayor, the School Board and the district maximum flexibility to consider every cost savings option, including reductions in staff.” State law requires that teachers be notified about potential changes to their employment status by March 1.

“To be clear about what this means,” Brady wrote, “this action gives the School Board the right to dismiss teachers as necessary, but not all teachers will actually be dismissed at the end of the school year.”

“This is beyond insane,” Providence Teachers Union President Steve Smith said Tuesday night. “Let’s create the most chaos and the highest level of anxiety in a district where teachers are already under unbelievable stress. Now I know how the United States State Department felt on Dec. 7 , 1941.” That was the day the Japanese government bombed Pearl Harbor.

Providence plans to pink slip all teachers | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

It's not just Wisconsin. State and local governments all over the country are taking drastic steps to give the officials the flexibility they need to deal with their budget crises. It's starting to seem like it may become fashionable for public sector unions to be thrown under the bus.

They aren't being thrown under the bus. There is no way public employees should continue to receive bloated salarie s when there is no money. Our managers and front line workers have already taken income hits. It amusing that the very people who have voted rank and file for wildly expensive (and unnecessary) programs are also ones to scream the loudest when they have to help pay for those programs.

Wisconsin led the way with welfare reform; now they're going to do the same for education. It's about time.

They aren't being thrown under the bus. There is no way public employees should continue to receive bloated salarie s when there is no money. Our managers and front line workers have already taken income hits. It amusing that the very people who have voted rank and file for wildly expensive (and unnecessary) programs are also ones to scream the loudest when they have to help pay for those programs.

Wisconsin led the way with welfare reform; now they're going to do the same for education. It's about time.

The prime issue with public unions is that once you have a bad worker, it is almost impossible to get rid of them. Private sector unions protect thier own, but realize that if the company is to survive and thier jobs still exist, people who cant or wont do the work have to be let go.

When it comes to public sector jobs, this need for self preservation is just not there. It is far easier for management to dump the unproductive person somewhere they will do the least damage, and then hire a new person, or have other people cover that person's job on overtime.

I do not want to break unions. There is a need for them to protect people from malicious or discriminitory firings, but the current state is you cant get rid of ANY public worker, teachers included, even for incompetence.

That is the policy that has to stop. Public entities must be able to get rid of people who dont do thier job.

Besides which, I'd rather have a history major with no empahsis in education teaching my kids than a teacher who has spent 4 years studying ways to EDUCATE instead of the subjects they teach, and who can't spell her own name.

Don't you think it's delightful that we get rid of all the teachers? :clap2::clap2::clap2:

America under Republicans! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Providence is a Republican city? That's news to me and everyone who lives there. :tongue:

You do realize that they aren't getting rid of all the teachers, right?

Besides which, I'd rather have a history major with no empahsis in education teaching my kids than a teacher who has spent 4 years studying ways to EDUCATE instead of the subjects they teach, and who can't spell her own name.

:lol:

Don't you think it's delightful that we get rid of all the teachers? :clap2::clap2::clap2:

If public education is so great and so vital to us as a nation, then why are all the winners of the spelling bees home schooled?

I'm currently licensed to teach here in Florida (although I currently have a different job)-and I never took 1 education class in college. I'm sure it depends on your state-just saying.

That's a republican state?..........We have a republican president?

My god, you are so stupid it's amazing

Here's something to keep your lil' feeble lesbian mind occupied, while those who actually have a brain discuss amongst themselves::boobies:

Last edited:

That's a republican state?..........We have a republican president?

My god, you are so stupid it's amazing

Here's something to keep your lil' feeble lesbian mind occupied, while those who actually have a brain discuss amongst themselves::boobies:

I blame your teachers....or maybe they had to spend all their time protecting the other students from your anti-social bullying ways. In fact, I bet you spent most of your time in detention or suspended and your school was better for it.

Forum List

Back