Does anyone know whats next?......

Discussion in 'Education' started by spectrumc01, Feb 25, 2011.

1. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    *The hypothetical : Wisconsin governor wins, there is no more teachers union.

1st : In a class of 50 students - 5 receive A's / 5 receive B's / 10 receive C's / 10 receive D's / 20 fail completely. This says A's are possible because it was proven it could be done, the failures failed because they did not apply themselves, not because of the teacher. So how does removing the teachers union solve children appling themselves?

2nd: No more teachers union, how does this effect class sizes?

3rd : No more teachers union, how does this effect the state standardized tests?

4th : No more teachers union, how does this get parents more involved in their childrens education?

5th : No more teachers union, how does this automatically provide better teachers?

6th : No more teachers union, how does this balance the whole state budget?

7th : If the teachers union is removed and things don't improve then did we get rid of it for nothing? and does anyone know what the harm caused from such a removal would be?

These are thing we need to think about and have answers for before we start shouting down the teachers union. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

I don't believe getting rid of the teachers union will solve anthing, perhaps a modification of the teachers union would be more appropriate.

2. Leweman

Leweman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +737
    What exists right now shouldnt be the standard. Its not good. Needs to be improvements. Will this improve things? Pry not. Will letting the union get their way improve things? Pry not.

3. Leweman

Leweman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +737
    Also they arent getting rid of the teachers union so I dont know why you say that

4. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Getting rid of collective bargaining effectivly removes all power from the union, essentially killing it.

5. CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze Momma if you could see me

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Not all unions, just public sector unions. Private sector unions such as in the coal and steel industries will still be able to steal their companies blind while bargaining them out of existance.

6. tstat87

tstat87 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The one question I can answer is the class size question. Besides the budget question we really wouldn't know for sure how getting rid of a union would affect some of these things. Such as the parents getting involved? The only way to find that out would be if it was happening. However, to address the class size issue. If teacher unions were no longer around, class sizes would definitely increase. Obviously. Unions require that classrooms have caps and that good student-teacher ratios be kept to keep classes small to "better learning". However, it has been proven that small class sizes are only beneficial in K-3 reading classes. We would be able to get rid of some ineffective teachers and make teachers actually begin to teach. And before anyone says that I wouldn't know if teachers are actually teaching or not should know I am in high school and I see everyday how teachers are lazy. There are the select few who are the exception but in general teachers would just as soon give us a crossword then assign us a paper. Why? Because they would have to read them and grade it. If there were no unions then the best teachers would teach and the ineffective would get fired. I think it is a bit ridiculous when my school has 5 classes of freshman english and 2 classes of honors freshman english.. there are only about 110 people in the freshman class. With 3 different teachers teaching the classes.Sorry about going off there, it's just something that has always bugged me, teachers being lazy.

I don't think the teacher unions should be eliminated but I do think they should be modified. Make it easier to terminate employment for horrible teachers, get rid of tenure at the high school level it is ineffective, and keep the class size limits but raise them perhaps? I don't see why teachers shouldn't be able to teach 30 kids per class. Yet they complain when they hit 20.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    How is that worse than now? Everyone passes,, but no one learns anything?

By the way, a statistical bell curve would have 5 get As, 10 get Bs 20 Cs, 10 Ds, and 5 Fs. maybe you should have paid more attention in that first class, unions label, education you got.

Class sizes are mandated by federal law, not unions.

Maybe some of those private school teachers will switch over and boost them up.

How have the unions done that?

It doesn't, but it does make it easier to fire the bad ones.

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

Things will improve because we will be spending less money, even if we end up with the same shitty product.

These are things intelligent people have already thought about. I would discuss them with you, but this post demonstrates that you are neither intelligent, nor capable of thinking.

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Federal workers have 0 collective bargaining power, yet they exist. Can you explain that?

9. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,718
    Simply not true.

10. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705

Actually... just the ones who supported the opposition in the last election