Citrus crop worst since the 1930s

It sucks that the Valley here in Texas suffered the blight and it wiped out the grapefruit industry.
Ruby Red grapefruits were the best in the world!!
They still sell some called Ruby Reds but they're nothing like they were back in the day.
You could get two tall water glasses of juice off one grapefruit!!
And the taste was fantastic!!! Tart and sweet at the same time,Man do I ever miss em.

florida-ruby-red-grapefruit-for-sale-online-102820.jpg

It sucks that the Valley here in Texas suffered the blight and it wiped out the grapefruit industry.
Ruby Red grapefruits were the best in the world!!
They still sell some called Ruby Reds but they're nothing like they were back in the day.
You could get two tall water glasses of juice off one grapefruit!!
And the taste was fantastic!!! Tart and sweet at the same time,Man do I ever miss em.

florida-ruby-red-grapefruit-for-sale-online-102820.jpg
The one's I remember back in the day were huge and a lighter pink. My church sold them by the case as a fundraiser. I think I ate more than I sold. They were so popular that some members contracted on their own after the fund drive was over, filling repeat orders from fund drive customers. This was back in the late 70's or early 80's. I've never seen such fruit since.:(

The one's I remember back in the day were huge and a lighter pink. My church sold them by the case as a fundraiser. I think I ate more than I sold. They were so popular that some members contracted on their own after the fund drive was over, filling repeat orders from fund drive customers. This was back in the late 70's or early 80's. I've never seen such fruit since.:(

Yeah,we used to buy the Ruby Reds by the case and they never had time to go bad.
It's been years since you could get them,and while I know it takes a while to get fruit bearing trees I'm afraid they're gone for good.
The ones they call Ruby Reds today are a pale comparison to those of years gone by.

Florida orange producers record worst year since 1930s Some information for those who invest in agriculture commodity Futures.

Also the worst wheat production in the US since 1917.

Get used to this because scarcity is going to become a thing. We can genetically modify crops to withstand higher global mean temps, but we cannot modify the soil to enable water and nutrient uptake once temps reach certain levels.

Fewer crops, more people = higher commodity prices.

Peaches from GA are out this year. 80% crop loss this year. A late cold snap froze the blossoms. There just aren't going to be a lot of Georgia peaches this year.

Peaches from GA are out this year. 80% crop loss this year. A late cold snap froze the blossoms. There just aren't going to be a lot of Georgia peaches this year.
True, I went to buy some at the grocery store and what was there was small and sad-looking fruit.

Back in the 1950's I worked for Kroger's after school. We sold canning peaches by the "lug", (thirty pound wooden crate). They were stacked on the sidewalk in front of the store by the hundreds. As they were nearly ripe you could smell them from a block away. Large, juicy, and delicious. Those were the days, in many more ways than one.

I guess bankers are going to have to garnish their martinis with olivers instead of a twist, if lemons aren't available or too costly. Bad news for the makers of Orange Crush and Absolut Citron as well.

Get used to this because scarcity is going to become a thing. We can genetically modify crops to withstand higher global mean temps, but we cannot modify the soil to enable water and nutrient uptake once temps reach certain levels.

Fewer crops, more people = higher commodity prices.

The current issue is due to Hurricane Damage, a FREEZING event, and a bacterial infection from a bug vector.

It isn't due to AGW.

It is not the worst productoin since 1917, it is the worst planted to harvested ratio...huge difference.

U.S. wheat production for the 2023/24 marketing year is forecast at 1.66 billion bushels, up 1 percent from the previous year, but down 7 percent from the recent 5-year average of 1.788 billion bushels. USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) provided its first survey-based production forecast for the 2023/24 U.S. winter wheat crop in the May 12 Crop Production report. Winter wheat production overall is projected up 2 percent to 1.130 billion bushels. Average yield is estimated at 44.7 bushels per acre, down 2.3 bushels from last year. Winter wheat area harvested is projected at 25.3 million acres, up 8 percent from last year. The harvested-to-planted ratio for winter wheat overall at 67 percent is the lowest since 1917.

I live in Virginia and experienced the same on most of my fruit trees. We had a warm early spring that had everything in full blossom and then wham the frost came back for 3 days. I was surveying my plums the other day and only saw a couple fruit in the interior on a couple of them. Didn't see anything on my peaches or pears.

It is not the worst productoin since 1917, it is the worst planted to harvested ratio...huge difference.

U.S. wheat production for the 2023/24 marketing year is forecast at 1.66 billion bushels, up 1 percent from the previous year, but down 7 percent from the recent 5-year average of 1.788 billion bushels. USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) provided its first survey-based production forecast for the 2023/24 U.S. winter wheat crop in the May 12 Crop Production report. Winter wheat production overall is projected up 2 percent to 1.130 billion bushels. Average yield is estimated at 44.7 bushels per acre, down 2.3 bushels from last year. Winter wheat area harvested is projected at 25.3 million acres, up 8 percent from last year. The harvested-to-planted ratio for winter wheat overall at 67 percent is the lowest since 1917.

I stand corrected - you're correct. I still think it portends some not so good things for the future, but accuracy matters.

Forum List

Back