Chuck Berry is dead at 90

" Truly a cornerstone of all that is, was and will be Rock and Roll. An icon like few others." - Paul Stanley
Who cares what Detroit KISS boy says?

Not me.

Chuck> Any KISS ever.

"My profound respect and admiration to one of the founding fathers of rock and roll, who sadly passed today -- the late, great CHUCK BERRY. A sad day." - Gene Simmons

:p

no you said he INVENTED R&R when he did not.........so you were just giving your opinion.....and if i ask those guys you mentioned who invented R&R they would go back further than Berry.....who you first heard sing the music does not mean they invented it.....but i will agree that Berry is the King of Rock n Roll,not Elvis.....Berry at least created the stuff Elvis was just a good looking white kid who could sing....

I'll stick with his inventing Rock & Roll....and incidentally, Rock Around the Clock and Maybelline were both hits in 1955..the Blackboard Jungle movie came out in 1954, but Haley's version hit the charts the next year. Listen to the tributes and judge for yourself who was the inventor of Rock & Roll. Oh, and Chuck had an ear for country music which is how he got signed to Chess. Years later, I also saw Chuck's buddy Muddy Waters play a few times in a Detroit blues club....he used the diamond ring on his left hand as a slide piece...I believe his piano player was Otis Spann with Little Walter on harp.

Last edited:
Listen to his rock and roll songs like Johnny B. Goode and Oh Carol and Bye Bye Johnny and you'll hear his rhythm section combine a rock-and-roll straight beat and a blues shuffle. At first it sounds like a mistake. But on further inspection it creates a really unique groove.
Innovator and marketeer.
RIP

One of the funniest SNL skits:
Kreeg Antwoord: [ coughing ] You see, it all started on August 20th, 1977, when NASA put up a recording of the sounds of Earth on Voyager I. A two-hour long tape included, uh, natural sounds of animals, a French poem by Gaugliere, a passage from the Koran in Arabic, messages from President Carter, United Nations Secretary Kurt Waldheim, music -- everything from classical to Chuck Berry.

Maxine Universe: Uh -- and you're saying that the, uh -- another civilization has found the tape?

Cocuwa: Yes. They've sent us a message that actually proves it. It may be just four simple words, but it is the FIRST positive proof that other intelligent beings inhabit the universe.

Maxine Universe: Uh -- what are the four words, Cocuwa?

Cocuwa: The four words that came to us from outer space -- the FOUR words that will appear on the cover of Time Magazine next week -- are: [ he holds up the magazine" "Send More Chuck Berry".
image.jpeg

R.I.P. Chuck Berry.
I loved seeing one of his concerts live in the 70's. :)
I will always have that memory.
He had a good and long life.

no you said he INVENTED R&R when he did not.........so you were just giving your opinion.....and if i ask those guys you mentioned who invented R&R they would go back further than Berry.....who you first heard sing the music does not mean they invented it.....but i will agree that Berry is the King of Rock n Roll,not Elvis.....Berry at least created the stuff Elvis was just a good looking white kid who could sing....

I'll stick with his inventing Rock & Roll....and incidentally, Rock Around the Clock and Maybelline were both hits in 1955..the Blackboard Jungle movie came out in 1954, but Haley's version hit the charts the next year. Listen to the tributes and judge for yourself who was the inventor of Rock & Roll. Oh, and Chuck had an ear for country music which is how he got signed to Chess. Years later, I also saw Chuck's buddy Muddy Waters play a few times in a Detroit blues club....he used the diamond ring on his left hand as a slide piece...I believe his piano player was Otis Spann with Little Walter on harp.
it was first released in 1954 and then again a year later....and most so called "experts" say Chuck did not invent R&R he was just the guy who put it all together and refined it.....one music guy said "the early stuff was messy and Chuck put it all together and gave us the IDEA of rock n roll and he was the only one who not only wrote most of his own material, but wrote substantive material".....which is why i feel that he,not Elvis,is the king of R&R...Chuck wrote and performed his stuff,Elvis performed other peoples stuff....even though Bill Haley was before Elvis,well being a good looking white kid with a better voice had a lot to do with Elvis's success....thats my opinion anyway.....

Listen to his rock and roll songs like Johnny B. Goode and Oh Carol and Bye Bye Johnny and you'll hear his rhythm section combine a rock-and-roll straight beat and a blues shuffle. At first it sounds like a mistake. But on further inspection it creates a really unique groove.
Innovator and marketeer.
RIP
that sound may have been helped along by his good friend Willie Dixon who played Bass on all of Chucks 50's recordings....

Michael Jackson takes his sister to the AMAs
He sees his idol Chuck Berry
Chuck tongue kisses his sister and pulls him in

RIP Chuck Berry!

C7PaOvVVwAA71eb.jpg

Forum List

Back