Chuck Berry is dead at 90

you do realize that rock around the clock predated maybelline by 1 year....and even that is not considered the 1st R&R Record...Chuck just took what the guys before him were doing and made it better and ran with it and made it the Guitar based music we got to see as time progressed.....this guy from 1949 was an influence on chuck...

What I'm saying is Chuck put a name to what a lot of other players were up to. The R&B guys started playing in 4x4 time and Rock & Roll was born. Ask Keith Richard or Jimmy Page, or Alvin Lee, Townsend, any of them who they first heard in England. In Detroit, it was Chuck who we heard first so in my book, he's the Godfather.

Last edited:
"Chuck Berry was rock's greatest practitioner, guitarist, and the greatest pure rock 'n' roll writer who ever lived. This is a tremendous loss of a giant for the ages." - Bruce Springsteen

i keep remembering the intro riff of "Johnny B Goode" all the time...it's part of my constant memory!

"He was singing good lyrics, and intelligent lyrics, in the '50s when people were singing, "Oh, baby, I love you so,'" John Lennon

chuck actually has an album of new material coming out later this year! (true story)

Rock in Peace

Rock and roll legend Chuck Berry dies - BBC News

C7O7VnjXQAEyg-g.jpg

The man was a god with the guitar! RIP old man, you earned it! And thank you for the music!

they're playin Johnny B Goode at the Clippers-Cavs game at Staples Center!

you do realize that rock around the clock predated maybelline by 1 year....and even that is not considered the 1st R&R Record...Chuck just took what the guys before him were doing and made it better and ran with it and made it the Guitar based music we got to see as time progressed.....this guy from 1949 was an influence on chuck...

What I'm saying is Chuck put a name to what a lot of other players were up to. The R&B guys started playing in 4x4 time and Rock & Roll was born. Ask Keith Richard or Jimmy Page, or Alvin Lee, Townsend, any of them who they first heard in England. In Detroit, it was Chuck who we heard first so in my book, he's the Godfather.

no you said he INVENTED R&R when he did not.........so you were just giving your opinion.....and if i ask those guys you mentioned who invented R&R they would go back further than Berry.....who you first heard sing the music does not mean they invented it.....but i will agree that Berry is the King of Rock n Roll,not Elvis.....Berry at least created the stuff Elvis was just a good looking white kid who could sing....

Dang! I didn't really want to go to the bar tomight, but when other black prominent rock or R&B artists have died in recent years, I have honored them by playing a few of their tunes at the local dive joint. Maybe when I get back the ads won't be so bad. Its getting better, but I don't know how long I want to stick around this sluggish place. Other forums I have been at were never this slow. RIP - Chuck Berry.

R&R incorporated a lot of different styles of music, and you can point to any one of those styles and find a song you can say "that's where it began". Chuck Berry was probably the most influential though. He invented a style that's been copied more than anyone I can think of.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back