Christmas shopping ideas

goldcatt

Catch me if you can!
Aug 4, 2009
CentralPA
I'm fresh out of ideas for Xmas shopping for my little people, both 7. The grandparents started early this year and already got them just about everything I had on my list. Which is good in a way, but now I'm a little stuck.

We've avoided video games so far and I want that to continue as long as I can get away with it. We have a nice big level yard, but they aren't very interested in most sports yet.

They're normal active kids but Daughter is more artistically and musically inclined, and she loves Disney princesses, Barbie and all kinds of animals. She likes to think of herself as a girly girl even though half the time she acts like a tomboy.

Son is more scientific and mechanical, he likes to build and is into superheroes, pretty much anything related to natural science (favorites are bug collecting, fossil hunting and star gazing) and Star Wars.

We don't have a lot of space for bulky stuff, unless it goes outside. I do have a big mostly enclosed back porch where I can store all kinds of stuff for the yard, and we often end up with half the neighborhood monkey troupe out back hanging from the trees anyway.

I've never gone hog wild for Christmas and this time around we're on a tighter than usual budget because of my layoffs through the year, so I really just need a few good ideas.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
get this for your son:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SC-100-Snap-Circuits-Jr/dp/B00008BFZH/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1290440176&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Snap Circuits Jr. SC-100: Toys & Games[/ame]

I taught my eight year old step son everything from current to resistors to switches with it. You can't shock yourself or anything because of the plastic pieces and its all powered through AA batteries.

If your son really gets into and wants to learn more about how circuits/electricity works, the manual it comes with will have an order form for a $10 book that is 70 pages and amazingly informative. It walks through precise detail on every circuit listed in the book

you could also get either of them a cheapish microscope and let them go outside and find things to prepare on slides and then view them etc. my stepson also has real fun with this. its also fun to do this with different herbs and vegetables.

if they play well together you can also try finding a "laser tag" or nerf gun set that they could chase each other in the backyard with. you can probably find sets for less than $30

get this for your son:

Amazon.com: Snap Circuits Jr. SC-100: Toys & Games

I taught my eight year old step son everything from current to resistors to switches with it. You can't shock yourself or anything because of the plastic pieces and its all powered through AA batteries.

If your son really gets into and wants to learn more about how circuits/electricity works, the manual it comes with will have an order form for a $10 book that is 70 pages and amazingly informative. It walks through precise detail on every circuit listed in the book

Now that looks right up his alley! :clap2:

I've been wondering how to get him into that kind of thing, it's not my forte but he's starting to try to take apart my electronics to figure out how they work. :evil::lol:

Mr. Boe and I get gifts for the nieces and nephews from the Exploratorium Store.

Exploratorium Store

The Nephews particularly enjoy items from the Physics section...

Exploratorium Store - Physics Kits

The arts and crafts areas also has some great choices...

Exploratorium Store - Arts and Crafts

(I personally loved origami when I was a young girl.)

I have a good outlet I use for D's art supplies. But I'll have to look through those physics kits for Son. At a glance that looks really interesting, and he loooooves it. :thup:

get this for your son:

Amazon.com: Snap Circuits Jr. SC-100: Toys & Games

Now that looks right up his alley! :clap2:

I've been wondering how to get him into that kind of thing, it's not my forte but he's starting to try to take apart my electronics to figure out how they work. :evil::lol:

the set should make it really easy to get into for him & you. I would def recommend ordering the $10 book as well as it explains everything in great detail. Here is a pdf of the book that will come with the set, it mostly just gives you a bunch of ideas, diagram to follow, where as the $10 book would explain each on in great detail:

http://manuals.elenco.com/manuals/sc-100 1-101.pdf

you could also get either of them a cheapish microscope and let them go outside and find things to prepare on slides and then view them etc. my stepson also has real fun with this. its also fun to do this with different herbs and vegetables.

I'm not sure they're ready for something like that yet. Son will take a brief turn with my telescope when I get it out and he loves it - for a few minutes. But the attention span for "viewing" really isn't there yet. They're much better when they're doing than watching. Normal seven year olds. :D

Not where we live! Way too many windows around. And most of them aren't mine.

I honestly don't mean to bring your husbands opinion of you into doubt, Goldcatt, but upon your little 'uns tearing off the wrapping paper to expose two Red Ryder BB guns you husband was previously unaware of, he will try and maintain an air of scepticism with regards to eyeballs and neighbouring windows. But secretly he'll be thinking: 'BB guns? Holy shit... I never knew my wife was this cool!!'

Last edited:

:eek::eek:

Not where we live! Way too many windows around. And most of them aren't mine. :lol:

Nurf guns!

nerf-n-strike-vulcan.jpg

Not where we live! Way too many windows around. And most of them aren't mine.

I honestly don't mean to bring your husbands opinion of you into doubt, Goldcatt, but upon your little 'uns tearing off the wrapping paper to expose two Red Ryder BB guns, your husband will try and maintain an air of scepticism with regards to eyeballs and neighbouring windows. But secretly he'll be thinking: 'BB guns? Holy shit... I never knew my wife was this cool!!'

Nah, that's not an issue. :lol:

But seven is a little young for those things, even if we weren't surrounded by neighbors with a fondness for keeping their windows and small pets in one piece. I'm not even sure they're legal in town, and there are other reasons I wouldn't go that route.

The more I think about it, the more I like that laser tag idea. :eusa_think:

Forum List

Back