Christmas shopping ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goldcatt, Nov 22, 2010.

1. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    I'm fresh out of ideas for Xmas shopping for my little people, both 7. The grandparents started early this year and already got them just about everything I had on my list. Which is good in a way, but now I'm a little stuck.

We've avoided video games so far and I want that to continue as long as I can get away with it. We have a nice big level yard, but they aren't very interested in most sports yet.

They're normal active kids but Daughter is more artistically and musically inclined, and she loves Disney princesses, Barbie and all kinds of animals. She likes to think of herself as a girly girl even though half the time she acts like a tomboy.

Son is more scientific and mechanical, he likes to build and is into superheroes, pretty much anything related to natural science (favorites are bug collecting, fossil hunting and star gazing) and Star Wars.

We don't have a lot of space for bulky stuff, unless it goes outside. I do have a big mostly enclosed back porch where I can store all kinds of stuff for the yard, and we often end up with half the neighborhood monkey troupe out back hanging from the trees anyway.

I've never gone hog wild for Christmas and this time around we're on a tighter than usual budget because of my layoffs through the year, so I really just need a few good ideas.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
  3. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    get this for your son:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SC-100-Snap-Circuits-Jr/dp/B00008BFZH/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1290440176&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Snap Circuits Jr. SC-100: Toys & Games[/ame]

I taught my eight year old step son everything from current to resistors to switches with it. You can't shock yourself or anything because of the plastic pieces and its all powered through AA batteries.

If your son really gets into and wants to learn more about how circuits/electricity works, the manual it comes with will have an order form for a $10 book that is 70 pages and amazingly informative. It walks through precise detail on every circuit listed in the book

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    you could also get either of them a cheapish microscope and let them go outside and find things to prepare on slides and then view them etc. my stepson also has real fun with this. its also fun to do this with different herbs and vegetables.

5. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    if they play well together you can also try finding a "laser tag" or nerf gun set that they could chase each other in the backyard with. you can probably find sets for less than $30

6. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,865
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Now that looks right up his alley! :clap2:

I've been wondering how to get him into that kind of thing, it's not my forte but he's starting to try to take apart my electronics to figure out how they work. :evil::lol:

8. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    I have a good outlet I use for D's art supplies. But I'll have to look through those physics kits for Son. At a glance that looks really interesting, and he loooooves it. :thup:

9. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    the set should make it really easy to get into for him & you. I would def recommend ordering the $10 book as well as it explains everything in great detail. Here is a pdf of the book that will come with the set, it mostly just gives you a bunch of ideas, diagram to follow, where as the $10 book would explain each on in great detail:

http://manuals.elenco.com/manuals/sc-100 1-101.pdf

10. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    I'm not sure they're ready for something like that yet. Son will take a brief turn with my telescope when I get it out and he loves it - for a few minutes. But the attention span for "viewing" really isn't there yet. They're much better when they're doing than watching. Normal seven year olds. :D