Christmas season is what is saving jobs

God dammit people are stupid. Seriously, last November was the worst job month in the last 350 or so. Get that through your thick fucking minds.

NON FARM numbers is what it says

OK...I see that...now I think we will not know anything until February of next year...if the unemployment rate shoots back up after the Christmas season's over with the whole stimulus is a failure....bottom line.

These predictions have worked for decades and when you dont like what they say you dont trust them?

This is why the right is in so much trouble. You refuse facts you dont like.

I would think you would be happy for the country that there is a light showing at the end of the tunnel.

BUT NOOOOOOO you want the country to stay a mess simply so you can feel right politically.

I have lived in the part of the country I live in on and off for the past 22 years. The economy here has always been poor. The reasons usually given by our so-called leaders would just start some of you arguing again, but the fact is the econonmy has been poor in this part of the country for a long time-for whatever reason. This area is, and has been, designated an 'enterprise zone' for a long time. Every year we see businesses close, some eventually reopen. In the past two years, it appears there are a lot more empty buildings, a lot more 'in foreclosure' sale signs on personal and commercial properties and a lot more people without jobs. Even the cattle ranchers are cutting back on the number of cattle they graze and, as a consequence, laying off ranch hands. For the first time in my memory, fish and game did not sell all the available big game tags.
I just want to say, based upon the above personal observations, that the economy right now is worse than I have seen it in 22 years. Despite the official 'line' spouted by our so-called leaders of all political appetites, the economy seems to getting worse.
Personally, I would appreciate the truth, no spin, no excuses, no new congressional districts, no partisan 'talking points', just give us the truth. I believe the American people can handle the truth but it has been so long since we have been told the truth by our so-called leaders, many have a difficult time recognizing it.

The only reason why there hasn't been as many jobs shed in November is the Christmas shopping season. That is what is keeping employers from shedding the normal amount of jobs and after the season is over its going to be a huge increase in job cuts.

Do you have ANY data (i.e., facts) to support your claim?

No its a theory. It could be wrong but I'll take that risk.

God dammit people are stupid. Seriously, last November was the worst job month in the last 350 or so. Get that through your thick fucking minds.

How much worse would it have been if there was no christmas shopping to boost the economy?

The only reason why there hasn't been as many jobs shed in November is the Christmas shopping season. That is what is keeping employers from shedding the normal amount of jobs and after the season is over its going to be a huge increase in job cuts.

Economists know this. Which is why decades ago they came up with a technique called "seasonal adjustment" which filters out regular, predictable ups and downs in the labor market and in price changes. The official released monthly statistics are all seasonally adjusted so things like Christmas hiring don't obscure the underlying trends.

Looking at the Non-farm Payroll numbers (the official Employment statistics) we see that the Unadjusted preliminary level of non-farm payroll employment went from 132,143,000 to 132,223,000 an INCREASE of 80,000. But most of that is due to seasonal hiring. So after Seasonal Adjustment, the preliminary numbers show a change from 131,007,000 to 130,996,000, a DECREASE of 11,000.

In other words, the number of jobs went up, but not by as much as they usually do in November, so the underlying trend is still a decrease.

So, no, it's not the Christmas shopping season that made the decrease so low, the decrease is what we're left after we take away the Christmas influence...which caused an increase.

That boost is from the seasonal hiring. What is going to happen after the season?

It's common sense.

People are going to stimulate the economy a bit more because Christmas is the most materialistic time of the year...it's time to get! get! get!, meaning better sales for stores, restaurants, movie theaters, tourist attractions, etc.

You don't need statistics to prove that one.

Except that the method used for calculating unemployment contains adjustment to isolate the seasonal trends in the data.

It's common sense.

People are going to stimulate the economy a bit more because Christmas is the most materialistic time of the year...it's time to get! get! get!, meaning better sales for stores, restaurants, movie theaters, tourist attractions, etc.

Except that the method used for calculating unemployment contains adjustment to isolate the seasonal trends in the data.

A fact apparently lost on ihopehefails....

It's common sense.

A fact apparently lost on ihopehefails....

What part of that 80,000 hired is seasonal. If it is 100% then the hiring trend will stop after the season but if it is 50% then there is some hiring that will continue but when the economist adjusted for the seasonal hiring it showed a negative witch indicates most of it is seasonal so it showed a negative trend that will continue to get much worse after the season.

How much worse would it have been if there was no christmas shopping to boost the economy?

you mean the day after thanksgiving isn't black friday every other year, you mental midget?

Last Christmas season we were losing 700,000 jobs a month, this season only 11,000 a month.

If there is no improvement in employment, why didn't we see 11,000 last Christmas?

The headline unemployment rate, as in the one that went from 10.2 down to 10.0 in the last report,

is a seasonally adjusted number.

...so you can all go back to bed now.

Forum List

Back