Christians attempt to silence non-religious messages at Christmas

Would you care to back this up with a reference to scripture or is this more of your opinion about Christianity?

Even if the Bible doesn't specifically state exactly what a cross was used for by the Romans; It is well known historically what it was, and how a person suffered before death.

The Bible doesn't spell out the process of the Scourge or the insidious design of it, but it is still historically documented.

Rolls eyes? Your Bill Mahar quote gets more ironic every time you post something about Christianity.

The cross is not a symbol of torture according to Christianity. It was a painful method of execution at that time in history. The cross is a symbol now used in Christianity but it does not symbolize torture.

Every time you make one of these "your misinformed opinion as fact" posts you lose credibility.

What about pain is NOT torture? Just changing it to a different word does not change the meaning. The cross has been (and in many cultures still is) a symbol of torture. Also, go back in your book, it was not normally used to execute the prisoners, only in one case was it used as an execution device and that was in you Jesus myth of resurrection. However, what normally happened was they were hung there to be easy targets for others to throw stuff at and insult them, in other words torture. Again, even your own book states this but it is clear you are ignoring parts just because they are unpleasant, while the rest of the world cannot forget how evil the cross is.

The cross represents the ultimate sacrifice and as such is something which represents all that is good on heaven and earth.

We are never to forget the sacrifice our Lord made for us. It isn't like it was a 'mistake" or something out of God's hands.

All that is good on heaven and earth...hmmmmmm

I wonder if Gestas and the thousands of other crucified by the Romans would agree.

Crucifixion - Cause of Death. (Nope not torture......lol)

The length of time required to reach death could range from a matter of hours to a number of days, depending on exact methods, the health of the crucified person and environmental circumstances.

Death could result from a variety of causes, including blood loss and hypovolemic shock, or infection and sepsis, caused by the scourging that preceded the crucifixion or by the nailing itself, and eventual dehydration. A theory attributed to Pierre Barbet holds that, when the whole body weight was supported by the stretched arms, the typical cause of death was asphyxiation. He conjectured that the condemned would have severe difficulty inhaling, due to hyper-expansion of the chest muscles and lungs.

The condemned would therefore have to draw himself up by his arms, leading to exhaustion, or have his feet supported by tying or by a wood block. Indeed, Roman executioners could be asked to break the condemned's legs, after he had hung for some time, in order to hasten his death.[24] Once deprived of support and unable to lift himself, the condemned would die within a few minutes.

Experiments by Frederick Zugibe have revealed that, when suspended with arms at 60° to 70° from the vertical, test subjects had no difficulty breathing, only rapidly-increasing discomfort and pain. This would correspond to the Roman use of crucifixion as a prolonged, agonizing, humiliating death. Zugibe claims that the breaking of the crucified condemned's legs to hasten death, as mentioned in John 19:31-32, was administered as a coup de grâce, causing severe traumatic shock or hastening death by fat embolism. Crucifixion on a single pole with no transom, with hands affixed over one's head, would precipitate rapid asphyxiation if no block was provided to stand on, or once the legs were broken.

It is possible to survive crucifixion, if not prolonged, and there are records of people who did. The historian Josephus, a Judaean who defected to the Roman side during the Jewish uprising of AD 66 - 72, describes finding two of his friends crucified. He begged for and was granted their reprieve; one died, the other recovered. Josephus gives no details of the method or duration of their crucifixion before their reprieve.

Last edited:
Some of you just boggle my mind.

Who ever said the cross wasn't used for torture? I said that in my first post on the subject. The cross isn't a Christian symbol of torture. Beyond that I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

Crucifixion - Cause of Death. (Nope not torture......lol)

The length of time required to reach death could range from a matter of hours to a number of days, depending on exact methods, the health of the crucified person and environmental circumstances.

Death could result from a variety of causes, including blood loss and hypovolemic shock, or infection and sepsis, caused by the scourging that preceded the crucifixion or by the nailing itself, and eventual dehydration.[22][23] A theory attributed to Pierre Barbet holds that, when the whole body weight was supported by the stretched arms, the typical cause of death was asphyxiation. He conjectured that the condemned would have severe difficulty inhaling, due to hyper-expansion of the chest muscles and lungs.

The condemned would therefore have to draw himself up by his arms, leading to exhaustion, or have his feet supported by tying or by a wood block. Indeed, Roman executioners could be asked to break the condemned's legs, after he had hung for some time, in order to hasten his death.[24] Once deprived of support and unable to lift himself, the condemned would die within a few minutes.

Experiments by Frederick Zugibe have revealed that, when suspended with arms at 60° to 70° from the vertical, test subjects had no difficulty breathing, only rapidly-increasing discomfort and pain. This would correspond to the Roman use of crucifixion as a prolonged, agonizing, humiliating death. Zugibe claims that the breaking of the crucified condemned's legs to hasten death, as mentioned in John 19:31-32, was administered as a coup de grâce, causing severe traumatic shock or hastening death by fat embolism. Crucifixion on a single pole with no transom, with hands affixed over one's head, would precipitate rapid asphyxiation if no block was provided to stand on, or once the legs were broken.

It is possible to survive crucifixion, if not prolonged, and there are records of people who did. The historian Josephus, a Judaean who defected to the Roman side during the Jewish uprising of AD 66 - 72, describes finding two of his friends crucified. He begged for and was granted their reprieve; one died, the other recovered. Josephus gives no details of the method or duration of their crucifixion before their reprieve.

First, what about those causes of death are NOT torture.

Secondly, one cultures purpose still does not change that others do. Even in this text it states the word torture and confirms that it was purposeful. Thanks for proving my point even better Aztech.

Last edited:
Would you care to back this up with a reference to scripture or is this more of your opinion about Christianity?

THIS is where you asked for references, they were posted, and all you do is change the subject. Denial is just as bad as lying.

If the cross's meaning is so vague, evangelicals really shouldn't object to Catholics wearing crucifixes. When I converted to Protestantism, (specifically as a "born-again," they did.)

First, what about those causes of death are NOT torture.

Secondly, one cultures purpose still does not change that others do. Even in this text it states the word torture and confirms that it was purposeful. Thanks for proving my point even better.

Nothing about those quotes is not torture...it is nothing but torture.....that was my point.

SARCASM..I guessed you missed it.

Some of you just boggle my mind.

Who ever said the cross wasn't used for torture? I said that in my first post on the subject. The cross isn't a Christian symbol of torture. Beyond that I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

The point (repeating myself again for you, starting to get old) is that it is VERY offensive to display it for other religions and even to many atheists, but we don't push this. So why push someone elses 'offensive' statements to have them removed? If you start that then almost all your religious idols can be removed by the same law from ALL public places, even places where it can be viewed by the public.

Nothing about those quotes is not torture...it is nothing but torture.....that was my point.

SARCASM..I guessed you missed it.

I did miss the sarcasm, my bad. Just after I realized it I couldn't figure out a good way to edit my post so it's my bad.

I think they are refering to the fact a christian church wants to post a sign "santa will take you to hell". Which is hate speech! Do I think every christian church is offensive, no!

I consider it hate speech but I'm not entirely convinced that's a good enough reason to take it down.

What bothers me is that it's basically a threat.
'You'll be punished for all eternity if you don't change your ways now, Santa will rape your kids (or something like that). Join us ... or else."

It's not hate speech. Tasteless, maybe, but not hate speech. If hell was a real place, it would be a real threat.

It's not hate speech. Tasteless, maybe, but not hate speech. If hell was a real place, it would be a real threat.

Empty threats are a still a threat.

If I told you was I going to hack you up with my axe and I don't even own an axe it'd still be a threat.

I consider it hate speech but I'm not entirely convinced that's a good enough reason to take it down.

What bothers me is that it's basically a threat.
'You'll be punished for all eternity if you don't change your ways now, Santa will rape your kids (or something like that). Join us ... or else."

How on earth is it hate speech? What group is it threatening with physical harm? Who is it inciting hatred against?

Santa?

You guys are complete idiots. YOu know that, right?

And religion is religion. Yeah, the belief is that if you aren't saved, you don't get to heaven. That is not hate speech because it isn't inciting people to HARM others.

What a bunch of small minded twits. It's a waste of air, space and time to talk or listen to you, honestly. I wish you'd all leave your mommy and daddy's homes and return to school, and perhaps actually try supporting yourself before you try to impress the world with your well-thought-out and pseudo-intellectual bigotry.

How on earth is it hate speech? What group is it threatening with physical harm? Who is it inciting hatred against?

Santa?

You guys are complete idiots. YOu know that, right?

And religion is religion. Yeah, the belief is that if you aren't saved, you don't get to heaven. That is not hate speech because it isn't inciting people to HARM others.

What a bunch of small minded twits. It's a waste of air, space and time to talk or listen to you, honestly. I wish you'd all leave your mommy and daddy's homes and return to school, and perhaps actually try supporting yourself before you try to impress the world with your well-thought-out and pseudo-intellectual bigotry.

"You tell the children he is real,
You know that's just a lie,
To justify your own vile sins
That's the only reason why.

"So get this fact straight, you're feelin' God's hate
Santa's to blame for the dead soldier's fate
Santa Claus will take you to hell."

You don't feel the hatered there? Fine. Perhaps I have the wrong definition of hate speech.

And I said telling people you'd go to hell if you do X or Y is a threat not hate speech, and there's a difference.

The point (repeating myself again for you, starting to get old) is that it is VERY offensive to display it for other religions and even to many atheists, but we don't push this. So why push someone elses 'offensive' statements to have them removed? If you start that then almost all your religious idols can be removed by the same law from ALL public places, even places where it can be viewed by the public.

By that logic nothing can be seen in public ever by anyone because someone could find it offensive. Which is exactly why so many people find the ultra PC crowd so ridiculous.

Once again. Who is being incited to violence by this "hate speech"?

Nobody. Hence, it isn't hate speech.

Forum List

Back