Christians attempt to silence non-religious messages at Christmas

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
Atheists take aim at Christmas - CNN.com

What really interests me about this is the way that Christians, who've won the war to have a nativity placed on the state capitol's grounds, are fighting to SILENCE atheist messages.

Interesting. "Free speech, but only for me."

...the Christian Coalition of America is urging members to oppose the advertisements.

"Although a number of humanists and atheists continue to attempt to rid God and Christmas from the public square, the American people are overwhelmingly opposed to such efforts," Roberta Combs, the group's president said in a press release.

"We will ask our millions of supporters to call the city of Washington, D.C., and Congress to stop this un-Godly campaign."

As far as the criticism goes, Edwords said there are far more controversial placards in Washington.

"That's D.C. -- this is a political center," he said. "If I can see a placard with dead fetuses on it, I think someone can look at our question and just think about it."

The anger over the display in Olympia began after it was assembled Monday. The sentiment grew after some national media personalities called upon viewers to flood the phone lines of the governor's office.

The governor's office told The Seattle Times it received more than 200 calls an hour afterward.

"I happen to be a Christian, and I don't agree with the display that is up there," Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire told The Olympian newspaper. "But that doesn't mean that as governor, I have the right to deny their ability to express their free speech."

For some, the issue isn't even that the atheists are putting their thoughts on display, but rather the way in which they are doing it.

"They are shooting themselves in the foot," said iReport contributor Rich Phillips, who describes himself as an atheist. "Everyone's out there for the holidays, trying to represent their religion, their beliefs, and it's a time to be positive."

The atheist message was never intended to attack anyone, Barker said.

"When people ask us, 'Why are you hateful? Why are you putting up something critical of people's holidays? -- we respond that we kind of feel that the Christian message is the hate message," he said. "On that Nativity scene, there is this threat of internal violence if we don't submit to that master. Hate speech goes both ways."

All I have to say is "what did you expect." For all their complaining about people 'attacking' christianity or christmas, they still attack others. Most claim they are okay with other observations but when it comes down to it they will do anything to stop them.

All I have to say is "what did you expect." For all their complaining about people 'attacking' christianity or christmas, they still attack others. Most claim they are okay with other observations but when it comes down to it they will do anything to stop them.

These whiney christians pretend to be the poor persecuted victims when in fact they are the main offenders. They're just plain selfish.

I get a kick out of the dominant religion in America playing victim. It's like an elephant complaining about an ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Atheists take aim at Christmas - CNN.com

What really interests me about this is the way that Christians, who've won the war to have a nativity placed on the state capitol's grounds, are fighting to SILENCE atheist messages.

Interesting. "Free speech, but only for me."
heck let them spend their money. The advertising guys/gals need all the help it can get during an economic crisis.

the atheist sign is out of place and designed only to offended they have all the free speech in the world but they choose to place a sign at event for family's and children with a sign blaming mans belief in god for all the horrors of the world..what's next...you wont be able to take you kid out to see some lights and a tree or nativity scene without also having to watch a mock human sacrifice by the satanist as well ?...conversely if Christians wish to inject their view point into a public sodomy pride day parade..you would condom them for it...I say give the sodomites and abortionist atheist their pride day parade..and in turn they can stay away from the Christmas celebrations

Last edited:
the atheist sign is out of place and designed only to offended they have all the free speech in the world but they choose to place a sign at event for family's and children with a sign blaming mans belief in god for all the horrors of the world..what's next...you wont be able to take you kid out to see some lights and a tree or nativity scene without also having to watch a mock human sacrifice by the satanist as well ?...conversely if Christians wish to inject their view point into a public sodomy pride day parade..you would condom them for it...I say give the sodomites and abortionist atheist their pride day parade..and in turn they can stay away from the Christmas celebrations

Technically yeah, if satanists wanted to they could, but christians should be happy since they are the same belief.

These whiney christians pretend to be the poor persecuted victims when in fact they are the main offenders. They're just plain selfish.

You must be joking. Christians are too tolerant for our own good in this country. In most nations a group like the ACLU would be crushed underfoot by legislative action or raw mob violence years before the group was allowed to undermine basic civil rights for the majority of citizens by shameless forum shopping in the justice system.

Governmental buildings are not allowed to display hate speech. Please explain to me YWN666, Kittenkoder, or anyone else how this plaque, given its contents, is not hate speech.

Sorry, but atheists are not entitled to any special privileges. That is not "Christian intolerance," that's an elementary principle of Constitutional law.

Last edited:
ya so do nazis..maybe they should set up a death camp scene the kiddy's could enjoy that while out with their family's to see some lights and a nativity scene..then maybe catch the sodomy parade with the bare assed Santa with the sack full of dildo's and condoms.ya....nice..merry x-mass

You must be joking. Christians are too tolerant for our own good in this country. In most nations a group like the ACLU would be crushed underfoot by legislative action or raw mob violence years before the group was allowed to undermine basic civil rights for the majority of citizens by shameless forum shopping in the justice system.

We're talking about THIS country where we have a Constitution that protects ALL citizens.

Governmental buildings are not allowed to display hate speech. Please explain to me YWN666, Kittenkoder, or anyone else how this plaque, given its contents, is not hate speech.

Perhaps the sign could have been worded in a less provocative manner but that is what some atheists believe and that is freedom of speech. You have the right to express your disapproval of it, too.

Sorry, but atheists are not entitled to any special privileges. That is not "Christian intolerance," that's an elementary principle of Constitutional law.

Atheists are not getting any special priveleges. The sign expressed what many atheists believe. Christian intolerance is the fact that many christians don't want to share the display with anyone else. If you don't want to hear what others believe, then vote to disallow ANY religious displays.

Here's the thing about freedom of speech that people just don't get most of the time. While it allows you to say good things about anything it ALSO allows you to say bad things about anything so long as they are clearly stated as belief/opinion (same thing in my book) or they can be proven accurate. However even then, hateful things are still protected under freedom of speech, otherwise every KKK march in the US would be canceled, but they still go on in many places (they do pick areas they are less likely to get shot). One town had a great solution to such an event, they held their own (non-hating) event on the opposite side of town. That is the totality of freedom of speech, BOTH sides of anything can be heard, the only time it is against the law is if they cause harm to the person physically or financially.

Forum List

Back