Christianity more dangerous than Atheism.

It bores you does it? lol...Are you really that blind or just some more pretending?

Maybe you are too young to remember but it really wasn't that long ago when a person risked being beaten or maimed on a daily basis for even being suspected of being gay.

How long ago was it when gay marriage was not legal? How many fought tooth and nail to prevent it from becoming legal and why if not because as they openly said it was against their perverted 'christian family values"?

Are they not still to this very day working to undo all of the progressive accomplishments of the past 50 years even by stooping to treason?

Perhaps I grew up in more tolerant communities than you--and by that, I mean tolerant on all sides.

And if bowling were a lie but it's not.

And bowlers don't try to gain an advantage by sending their members out to win over new bowlers and then say anyone who is against bowling is evil.

This is if we thought bowling was bad for people. It's not. Atheists encourage people go bowl on Sunday instead of church.

Correct. Bowling is not a lie, and neither is faith in God. Of course, bowlers try to win over others who may be interested in bowling--and those whose livelihood relies on bringing in bowlers advertise and encourage people through word of mouth. Bowling can be an issue for those who have joint problems.

Part of my family enjoys bowling. Others do not. Part of my family attends church; others do not. None of us feel the need to persuade others to join "their" side. I'm wondering why you want people of faith to join your side.

And if bowling were a lie but it's not.

And bowlers don't try to gain an advantage by sending their members out to win over new bowlers and then say anyone who is against bowling is evil.

This is if we thought bowling was bad for people. It's not. Atheists encourage people go bowl on Sunday instead of church.

Correct. Bowling is not a lie, and neither is faith in God. Of course, bowlers try to win over others who may be interested in bowling--and those whose livelihood relies on bringing in bowlers advertise and encourage people through word of mouth. Bowling can be an issue for those who have joint problems.

Part of my family enjoys bowling. Others do not. Part of my family attends church; others do not. None of us feel the need to persuade others to join "their" side. I'm wondering why you want people of faith to join your side.
Why do they want me on their side?

And what's wrong with me trying to convince people I'm right?

Speaking for myself, I don't want non-believers on my side. They have their own side. What I would like is for non-believers (or believers of other tenets) to understand my point and to help me understand his/her point.

Speaking for myself, I don't want non-believers on my side. They have their own side. What I would like is for non-believers (or believers of other tenets) to understand my point and to help me understand his/her point.
That's what I'm here trying to do. You have to understand what a bad reputation your religion has with the rest of us. So many inconsistencies. So many flaws. So much spin. And it's ok if you want to believe but you have to understand where the rest of us are coming from. So I'm watching tv today and I hear a preacher lady saying how its not good enough they attend and worship. They have to run out and tell everyone. So your way is not to live and let live. Your way is to tell other people the way. Is that correct? So would you like me telling your kids the truth as I see it? I know you think you have the authority from a higher power but you don't, really you don't.

A. You don't want to really hear what we have to say. Whenever we debate this you guys ask us why we are angry, denying god for ulterior reasons other than what we say our motivations are, you say we're going to hell, that we are mean. Anything but having an honest debate. So if we see you aren't listening to us or being intellectually honest, that's another couple strikes against you right there.
B. Even if you are prepared to hear what we have to say when we argue back, you would not like us standing on street corners and preaching to the masses that religion is a scam and bad for their brains. It's mind control. A lie. Used to control the masses. All the things we believe, you would not like to give us an equal platform in which we get to voice our opinions.

That's what I'm here trying to do. You have to understand what a bad reputation your religion has with the rest of us. So many inconsistencies. So many flaws. So much spin. And it's ok if you want to believe but you have to understand where the rest of us are coming from. So I'm watching tv today and I hear a preacher lady saying how its not good enough they attend and worship. They have to run out and tell everyone. So your way is not to live and let live. Your way is to tell other people the way. Is that correct? So would you like me telling your kids the truth as I see it? I know you think you have the authority from a higher power but you don't, really you don't.

A. You don't want to really hear what we have to say. Whenever we debate this you guys ask us why we are angry, denying god for ulterior reasons other than what we say our motivations are, you say we're going to hell, that we are mean. Anything but having an honest debate. So if we see you aren't listening to us or being intellectually honest, that's another couple strikes against you right there.
B. Even if you are prepared to hear what we have to say when we argue back, you would not like us standing on street corners and preaching to the masses that religion is a scam and bad for their brains. It's mind control. A lie. Used to control the masses. All the things we believe, you would not like to give us an equal platform in which we get to voice our opinions.

1. You are in a Religion Forum. Are you here in a Religion Forum to understand religion, or to get people to understand you?

2. Of course I want to hear what you have to say. My grandfather was an atheist. My husband is an atheist. Most of his family are atheists. I've been around atheists all of my life. I do understand their position(s).

3. Being an atheist does not consign one to hell. There is much more to it than that--and because I do have so many atheists in my family I have done lots of research on it throughout my entire life. People have to know who God is/who Jesus is--and then reject all God/Christ stand for before they are in danger of hell. Neither God/Christ are part of your world. The difference between 'my' atheists and you is that none of them shadow box with the idea of God. They don't believe. Period. Therefore, nothing to talk about. That is what I call intellectual honesty.

4. You (nor any other atheist) know what is bad for the brain. Religion is no more mind control than a recipe for chocolate cake is a recipe for mind control. Nor is faith a lie. Most of us who practice continue practicing because we live scripture in our own lives--and find it works for us. Gardening, photography, history, genealogy, and faith are all part of my life and bring meaning to my existence. If you wouldn't convince me to give up gardening, photography, history, and genealogy why take the faith part of my life and try to eliminate that?

5. People stand on street corners, political platforms espousing all kinds of things. My daughters had an English teacher who espoused witchcraft during class time. So what. We discussed it over dinner and how her beliefs differed from ours.

1. You are in a Religion Forum. Are you here in a Religion Forum to understand religion, or to get people to understand you?

2. Of course I want to hear what you have to say. My grandfather was an atheist. My husband is an atheist. Most of his family are atheists. I've been around atheists all of my life. I do understand their position(s).

3. Being an atheist does not consign one to hell. There is much more to it than that--and because I do have so many atheists in my family I have done lots of research on it throughout my entire life. People have to know who God is/who Jesus is--and then reject all God/Christ stand for before they are in danger of hell. Neither God/Christ are part of your world. The difference between 'my' atheists and you is that none of them shadow box with the idea of God. They don't believe. Period. Therefore, nothing to talk about. That is what I call intellectual honesty.

4. You (nor any other atheist) know what is bad for the brain. Religion is no more mind control than a recipe for chocolate cake is a recipe for mind control. Nor is faith a lie. Most of us who practice continue practicing because we live scripture in our own lives--and find it works for us. Gardening, photography, history, genealogy, and faith are all part of my life and bring meaning to my existence. If you wouldn't convince me to give up gardening, photography, history, and genealogy why take the faith part of my life and try to eliminate that?

5. People stand on street corners, political platforms espousing all kinds of things. My daughters had an English teacher who espoused witchcraft during class time. So what. We discussed it over dinner and how her beliefs differed from ours.
You have a great attitude. You're "one of the good ones". LOL.

I agree. While I don't agree with theism I don't really care if people practice or even try to sell me or anyone else on it. That's their right. I just don't like the double standard. I realized it watching that lady this morning tell everyone to go out and spread the word. I thought, "imagine if atheists went out spreading the word". You may not mind it but I bet a lot of people would. The extreme is in Muslim countries where they decapitate atheists. You don't do that here but you sure don't give us an equal opportunity.

So from now on people should stop asking why us atheists preach. It's our right and we think the truth is much better than a lie that makes you feel good.

Do you mind cults who lie to their members? If your family member is joining one do you try to talk them out of it? Why? The lie makes them feel good. Leave them alone. Stop being a hater. Why are you rejecting god? That's what they say when you attack their cult just like you say when we attack your big cult.

So from now on people should stop asking why us atheists preach. It's our right and we think the truth is much better than a lie that makes you feel good.

Do you mind cults who lie to their members? If your family member is joining one do you try to talk them out of it? Why? The lie makes them feel good. Leave them alone. Stop being a hater. Why are you rejecting god? That's what they say when you attack their cult just like you say when we attack your big cult.

I see you have upped the ante by equating faith with a cult. Let's look at the definition of cult/gang:

1. restrict members' exercise of freedom in thought and belief
2. demand unquestioning obedience from their members
3. members are made to place group identity much higher than personal identity
4. engage in illegal and/or socially unacceptable actions
5. Leaders are self-appointed, self centered, authoritarian; only use the members for their personal agendas

Were you engaging in hyperbole, or do you see this is what faith and church attendance does to people? Since you are in favor of people talking family members out of joining a church, are you also in favor of people talking family members out of joining any fraternity, corporation, bureaucracy, club, political party, or the military? All of the above exercise some control, ask for some obedience yet we reserve the word "cult" for those who cross the line. If you wish to define Church as Big Cult then you are going to have to define all these other organizations as Big Cult. The term, then, loses all meaning.

Secondly, are you arguing that people should avoid going to church because it may make them feel good? ;)

If you favor truth, then the truth of God should be welcomed.

I see you have upped the ante by equating faith with a cult. Let's look at the definition of cult/gang:

1. restrict members' exercise of freedom in thought and belief
2. demand unquestioning obedience from their members
3. members are made to place group identity much higher than personal identity
4. engage in illegal and/or socially unacceptable actions
5. Leaders are self-appointed, self centered, authoritarian; only use the members for their personal agendas

Were you engaging in hyperbole, or do you see this is what faith and church attendance does to people? Since you are in favor of people talking family members out of joining a church, are you also in favor of people talking family members out of joining any fraternity, corporation, bureaucracy, club, political party, or the military? All of the above exercise some control, ask for some obedience yet we reserve the word "cult" for those who cross the line. If you wish to define Church as Big Cult then you are going to have to define all these other organizations as Big Cult. The term, then, loses all meaning.

Secondly, are you arguing that people should avoid going to church because it may make them feel good? ;)

If you favor truth, then the truth of God should be welcomed.
Do you see Islam has some of the characteristics of a cult?

Do you see Islam has some of the characteristics of a cult?

I don't know enough about Islam--or the Muslim culture--to say. The Muslims I do know are students, and I don't see any evidence of cult characteristics in their behavior.

Islam does see God very differently than the other two Abrahamic religions when it comes to freedom of choice. The more radical sects of Islam do not dwell on good or evil, but rather the will of God. The belief is that nothing happens without it being the will of God. A person does not so much as lift a finger, without that act being the will of God. Nor do they dwell on the concept of cause and effect. They have a very different way of thinking about God and the relationship between God and man. The closest we come to it in the West would be with a few Christian sects that teach double pre-destination--i.e., God deliberately created some individuals intending, from the beginning, to damn them.

I agree. While I don't agree with theism I don't really care if people practice or even try to sell me or anyone else on it. That's their right. I just don't like the double standard. I realized it watching that lady this morning tell everyone to go out and spread the word. I thought, "imagine if atheists went out spreading the word". You may not mind it but I bet a lot of people would. The extreme is in Muslim countries where they decapitate atheists. You don't do that here but you sure don't give us an equal opportunity.

I keep hearing all of these excuses for why people don't believe in God. The simple truth is that you hate Him. You hate the fact That He sent His Son to convict you of your sin. But you love your sin, and Jesus exposes it. That's why you hate Him. He shows you your true nature and your inevetible fate apart from God. So you hate Him. Make as many excuses as you like, it will not change the truth.

It bores you does it? lol...Are you really that blind or just some more pretending?

Maybe you are too young to remember but it really wasn't that long ago when a person risked being beaten or maimed on a daily basis for even being suspected of being gay.

How long ago was it when gay marriage was not legal? How many fought tooth and nail to prevent it from becoming legal and why if not because as they openly said it was against their perverted 'christian family values"?

Are they not still to this very day working to undo all of the progressive accomplishments of the past 50 years even by stooping to treason?

Perhaps I grew up in more tolerant communities than you--and by that, I mean tolerant on all sides.

I doubt it. I think you were just hiding. Consequently you have failed to grow up and instead have constructed for yourself some alternate reality where christians in this country haven't been demonizing unbelievers for decades, they haven't been legislating morality according to their perceived christian values and the 'war on drugs' was not some thinly veiled persecution against hippies and black people ...

Unfortunately ,Alexander, it may be that you have spent too much time on Pleasure Island and those donkey ears are there to stay ..

Last edited:

I doubt it. I think you were just hiding. Consequently you have failed to grow up and instead have constructed for yourself some alternate reality where christians in this country haven't been demonizing unbelievers for decades, they haven't been legislating morality according to their perceived christian values and the 'war on drugs' was not some thinly veiled persecution against hippies and black people ...

Unfortunately ,Alexander, it may be that you have spent too much time on Pleasure Island and those donkey ears are there to stay ..

A most stunning reply Hobelim , of which I agree. A Christian will condemn an unbeliever and walk away thinking they are working for God. A most perverted way of thinking about others.

I keep hearing all of these excuses for why people don't believe in God. The simple truth is that you hate Him. You hate the fact That He sent His Son to convict you of your sin. But you love your sin, and Jesus exposes it. That's why you hate Him. He shows you your true nature and your inevetible fate apart from God. So you hate Him. Make as many excuses as you like, it will not change the truth.

It is God who has blinded unbelievers and believers as well. Its the " Work of God now". Your just not consciously able to consider this. In Eccl. 7:13-14, " Consider the WORK of God, who can make straight that which he has made crooked?" Its God working blindness to him in the total consciousness of humanity, including believers. In verse 14 God has " Set" it like this until the end of humanity so that no human can find out anything about him. This is WHY there are atheist and unbelievers. It is not their fault.

It is God who has blinded unbelievers and believers as well. Its the " Work of God now". Your just not consciously able to consider this. In Eccl. 7:13-14, " Consider the WORK of God, who can make straight that which he has made crooked?" Its God working blindness to him in the total consciousness of humanity, including believers. In verse 14 God has " Set" it like this until the end of humanity so that no human can find out anything about him. This is WHY there are atheist and unbelievers. It is not their fault.

Ecclesiastes seems to be saying that for all round learning to occur, we must be able to experience both the positive and the negative life presents. If all we have are sunny days, we are never going to learn about rain. How does God work in good times? How does God work in bad times? To learn, we must experience both good times and bad times.

Ecclesiastes seems to be saying that for all round learning to occur, we must be able to experience both the positive and the negative life presents. If all we have are sunny days, we are never going to learn about rain. How does God work in good times? How does God work in bad times? To learn, we must experience both good times and bad times.

sheeeesh Meri. TODAY is Monday------save the billy graham level sermons for--------the autumn
sunday potluck luncheon------in the church basement

Well I think we do have to experience both good and evil, which is the meaning of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and why God put both of them in the same tree together. But God does not work how the Christians describe it, he works as the bible describes it.

We are locked into our learning and cannot be free from the influence of evil in this life.

Well I think we do have to experience both good and evil, which is the meaning of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and why God put both of them in the same tree together. But God does not work how the Christians describe it, he works as the bible describes it.

We are locked into our learning and cannot be free from the influence of evil in this life.

There are many, many interpretations for every passage in the Bible. Christians (and others as well) describe it in numerous different ways, according to their own ideas, learning and experiences. My experience is we are not locked into our learning, and those who wish to, can avoid a lot of the evil in this life.

There are many, many interpretations for every passage in the Bible. Christians (and others as well) describe it in numerous different ways, according to their own ideas, learning and experiences. My experience is we are not locked into our learning, and those who wish to, can avoid a lot of the evil in this life.

Keholet----is not New Testament-------it is part of that "superceded" book

sheeeesh Meri. TODAY is Monday------save the billy graham level sermons for--------the autumn
sunday potluck luncheon------in the church basement
Alternative is that you retire to your own basement when others discuss such matters, if you find them so objectionable.

Or at least don't troll threads about Christianity and then whine that people discuss the bible.

Forum List

Back