Zone1 Christian Proselytizing

CarlinAnnArbor

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2016
Jesus was clear: "go out and make disciples of all nations.". But HOW is the problem.

Today I was at a supermarket and while going to my car a friend of my older brother's stopped me mostly to ask about him. I didnt recognize the guy but I remember his name.

I was walking to my car and he came back and said, "I don't know if you're interested, but this is from my church" and he walked away.

It was one of those oldstyle comic book Bible tracts (how do you know if you're going to heaven).

Before he walked away I said, "not really (interested). I have my own beliefs."

I firmly understand the saying, "Nobody wants to be someone's mission field."

I had a JW try to talk to me, and I'm not rude, but I make it clear that I don't share their beliefs (in some things I do).

Then he offered me his Watch Tower and I graciously accepted it UNTIL he asked my to pay him for it. So I handed it back.

While the practice is biblical, there seems to be something off when I compare it to the lives the apostles lived. Somehow I just can't see them passing out comic book tracts

Jesus was clear: "go out and make disciples of all nations.". But HOW is the problem.

Today I was at a supermarket and while going to my car a friend of my older brother's stopped me mostly to ask about him. I didnt recognize the guy but I remember his name.

I was walking to my car and he came back and said, "I don't know if you're interested, but this is from my church" and he walked away.

It was one of those oldstyle comic book Bible tracts (how do you know if you're going to heaven).

I had a JW try to talk to me, and I'm not rude, but I make it clear that I don't share their beliefs (in some things I do).

Then he offered me his Watch Tower and I graciously accepted it UNTIL he asked my to pay him for it. So I handed it back.

While the practice is biblical, there seems to be something off when I compare it to the lives the apostles lived. Somehow I just can't see them passing out comic book tracts
Maybe if they had the capability of mass producing comic book tracks or magazines of their information they would have. Back then, they had pretty much the spoken word. If I want to hand out information brochures for our church, I'll order them from distribution and pay for them to hand out free to those who accept it. Same with my financial business.

it was one of those oldstyle comic book Bible tracts

Chick Tracts ... here is my favorite

cthulhu-tractx.png

How do you do it?

How do you do it?
Excuse me, can you help me out?

(Yes)

I'm looking for someone you may know who is searching to hear the true words of God, do you know someone who is?

(No)

Please take my number in case you run into someone who is. Thank you... (waking away)

Now, if they say (Yes)

Could you introduce me to this person or persons? (And, go from there. It may just be the person you stopped to ask the question)

Now, honestly, would you be offended if I came up to you with that question and response? No...

Excuse me, can you help me out?

(Yes)

I'm looking for someone you may know who is searching to hear the true words of God, do you know someone who is?

(No)

Please take my number in case you run into someone who is. Thank you... (waking away)

Now, if they say (Yes)

Could you introduce me to this person or persons? (And, go from there. It may just be the person you stopped to ask the question)

Now, honestly, would you be offended if I came up to you with that question and response? No...
Does that actually work? There's like a church on every corner in America

Does that actually work? There's like a church on every corner in America
Sure! The answer is mostly "No." But, occasionally, a missionary gets a yes. So, why not you too? The point wasn't whether it works or not. The point of my response is that it can be done without someone having a 2 year old conniption fit.

Sure! The answer is mostly "No." But, occasionally, a missionary gets a yes. So, why not you too? The point wasn't whether it works or not. The point of my response is that it can be done without someone having a 2 year old conniption fit.
You don't know. I take a pamphlet or whatever and say thanks. I'm an atheist, I just don't see the point of being rude.

You don't know. I take a pamphlet or whatever and say thanks. I'm an atheist, I just don't see the point of being rude.
Yep. As a Christian, but not if the Protestant, or the JWs, or the Mormons, I try to not be rude. But they usually make assumptions, that I'm someone in need of "being saved" as THEY interpret "being saved."

As I said, no one likes being someone else's mission field. Especially when you see each of those grips so full of biblical error. They don't think they are, but that is how the ones they are approaching see them.

How do you do it?
Mostly I don't. If a topic comes up, and people actually want to TALK (and listen), I will talk. I'm not afraid to tell anyone what I believe, but if people want to ARGUE, or mock Christianity, then I know they're not receptive and they're not ready. Most professing Christians aren't ready.

Jesus often wanted to tell His own disciples things, but He understood even they weren't ready

Yep. As a Christian, but not if the Protestant, or the JWs, or the Mormons, I try to not be rude. But they usually make assumptions, that I'm someone in need of "being saved" as THEY interpret "being saved."

As I said, no one likes being someone else's mission field. Especially when you see each of those grips so full of biblical error. They don't think they are, but that is how the ones they are approaching see them.
I don't pick favorites. I'm just REALLY anti religion. But those people are sincere if they go to the trouble to walk on up to perfect strangers and I just don't have it in me to tell em to their face that they just wasted their time

Exactly! People are willing to help and they are generally not rude about this when it is done without pressure or being rude. JWs put up a table at the local mall and when they say hi, I say hi back. It's a bit different in here because many are just trying to start an argument and not fish for information.

Mostly I don't. If a topic comes up, and people actually want to TALK (and listen), I will talk. I'm not afraid to tell anyone what I believe, but if people want to ARGUE, or mock Christianity, then I know they're not receptive and they're not ready. Most professing Christians aren't ready.

Jesus often wanted to tell His own disciples things, but He understood even they weren't ready
I think that's the right attitude. If someone is looking for a church, they find one

I don't pick favorites. I'm just REALLY anti religion. But those people are sincere if they go to the trouble to walk on up to perfect strangers and I just don't have it in me to tell em to their face that they just wasted their time
You are assuming they are wasting their time? Why would you think that? It's like in sales. You ever have those "college" kids come by your office or place of business and sell toys at Christmas time? They don't know if you will buy or not. But, they know their numbers and sales is a numbers game. Depending on the product, the numbers are different but they have their numbers. They talk with 50 or 100 people a day, they will find their number and go for it. So, it's not a waste of time. Your "NO" is worth their time because they are closer now to a "YES."

Let me give you some real numbers in the life insurance business. If I were to knock a 100 doors and ask, "You don't happen to be looking to buy life insurance, do you?" I will get 98 no's but 2 yes's. With our marking program, I'll end up making about $4,500 from each home. $9,000 on average. So, that means that every yes or no answer is worth $90. So, when someone says "NO," I say, "Thank you for the $90.

When it comes to religion, I made 100 friends and received blessings from my Father in Heaven for trying.

You are assuming they are wasting their time? Why would you think that? It's like in sales. You ever have those "college" kids come by your office or place of business and sell toys at Christmas time? They don't know if you will buy or not. But, they know their numbers and sales is a numbers game. Depending on the product, the numbers are different but they have their numbers. They talk with 50 or 100 people a day, they will find their number and go for it. So, it's not a waste of time. Your "NO" is worth their time because they are closer now to a "YES."

Let me give you some real numbers in the life insurance business. If I were to knock a 100 doors and ask, "You don't happen to be looking to buy life insurance, do you?" I will get 98 no's but 2 yes's. With our marking program, I'll end up making about $4,500 from each home. $9,000 on average. So, that means that every yes or no answer is worth $90. So, when someone says "NO," I say, "Thank you for the $90.

When it comes to religion, I made 100 friends and received blessings from my Father in Heaven for trying.
K. You do you

A JW asked you to pay for a Watchtower? :wtf:

1txerc.jpg

If that did happen, I don't think it was a real JW.

I just don't have it in me to tell em to their face that they just wasted their time

- try and think of them as a robo call on your cell phone ...

their 4th century religion of servitude and denial is something not worth spreading any further than how far they can throw their book.

A JW asked you to pay for a Watchtower? :wtf:

1txerc.jpg

If that did happen, I don't think it was a real JW.
He was and he did. I was only willing to take it because I didn't want to be rude. I think he asked for 20 cents. So I handed it back and told him I wasn't interested

Forum List

Back