child dies after workers refuse to fix his medicaid record

She had a rescue inhaler...it didn't work..he died...what she needed was the Advair..a maintenence medication that is very very expensive. The child I believe died in the hospital..rescue inhalers don't always work depending on the advanced stage of the attack and if you are using your maintenence meds or not..in this case he was not using his maintenence meds which caused him to die..the maintenence meds are clearly not just ten bucks...

I just reread this article:

Mom sues Denver, three workers over child's death - The Denver Post

I must have missed it or perhaps it was in another article that I haven't read. Could well be. But I see no mention of Albuterol.

Yes, we are all aware that Advair is a maintenance drug, for many so is Albuterol. It was for me.

Bottom line, this is a career welfare mother that couldn't be bothered to go down to the office and throw a fit and do any bloody thing needed to get her child medication. But now that the poor child is dead, she suddenly has time for lawsuits and interviews.

I'm not impressed.

JFTR, even with drugs like Advair break through asthma attacks happen, that is the reason for rescue inhalers. Well, one reason.

Clearly the mother wasn't willing to pay even $10 for an emergency inhaler, Albuterol.

Advair cannot be replaced with Albuterol. If you know about asthma meds and I do..Albuterol is an emergency medication for an attack and Advair is a maintenence medicine for severe asthma..you cannot replace one with the other..Advair costs in the area of $250...Albuterol isn't so cheap either and your body can become accustomed to it to the point that it no longer works.

Here is what Albuterol costs..

Cost of an Albuterol Inhaler - Get Information and Prices - CostHelper.com

If the child is small they usually give them a nebulizer which costs from $200 to $300 without insurance..but the medication we are talking about is not Albuterol it is Advair.

Advair is an expensive drug and it takes days to weeks to start working, it's a steroid. Albuterol is a rescue inhaler, takes seconds to work, it's probably one of the most popular asthma drugs around and I used to pay $10 for it at Costco pharmacy. In months and months this mother couldn't spend $10, maybe $20 at a Walgreens for a rescue inhaler that she should have had on hand anyway for break-through asthma attacks.

Bleh....

You can't replace Advair with an emergency inhaler, one is maintenence...the Advair, and the other is for an attack alone which is Albuterol, combivent or something of that sort...Advair is the drug he needed not Albuterol.

You do not need a nebulizer, an inhaler is very effective. I know asthma meds well as well and I never claimed they were the same. What I wrote is that it is a RESCUE INHALER. Most kids with asthma have one at home and one at school in case of a severe problem.

As a nurse I know of very few severe asthmatics that do not keep a rescue inhaler on hand. Mom didn't even have THAT. THAT would have saved the child's life. This would be a non issue had she had that.

It's a non-issue. The kid was either a moderate or severe asthmatic. He needed advair, the combination of inhaled corticosteroid and the long acting B2 agonist. Albuterol is a rescue inhaler. It's not for maintainance. In fact, the number of times you use albuterol indicates the severity of your asthma. It doesn't treat it.

It's a non-issue. The kid was either a moderate or severe asthmatic. He needed advair, the combination of inhaled corticosteroid and the long acting B2 agonist. Albuterol is a rescue inhaler. It's not for maintainance. In fact, the number of times you use albuterol indicates the severity of your asthma. It doesn't treat it.

Okay, let's try a new approach.

Who has claimed he did not need Advair? Please list your sources.

He didn't get it, I believe it was a combination of Mom and welfare that he didn't get his meds.

That does not mean he couldn't have used a rescue inhaler to SAVE HIS BLOODY LIFE!

And finally, many doctors do indeed use Albuterol to treat asthma. I'll take their advice over yours. There is more than one school of thinking and some people just don't handle steriods well and can't take it even when not used systemically.

If you wouldn't have allowed your kid to go without his life-saving medication then where do you get off excusing this woman for being so irresponsible?

1. She could have gone to or called the Medicaid office and insisted on getting the error fixed, making sure they knew a child's life was at risk until it was fixed. She didn't even bother with this minimal step.

2. She could have returned to the prescribing physician and explain the problem and ask for help and she absolutely would have gotten at least temporary help had she done this much as well as information about what else she could do if she couldn't get Medicaid to fix the error -including long term assistance to make sure her kid was never without his inhaler.

3. She could have paid cash for that inhaler while trying to get it fixed -some inhalers cost as little as $20 even without insurance -for anywhere from 100 to 250 doses. But I bet she had plenty of cash to spend on her own personal vices though. But for MONTHS she coughed up NOT ONE DIME for her own child's medication -although the vast majority of parents would have foregone spending money on something else to make sure their kid had his life-saving medication.

Instead she CHOSE not to do ANY of these things and she chose NOT to make any extra effort to fix this screw up -which makes HER negligent.

I read the article and I didn't see any facts to back up your 3 points.

Kindly share a link so we can have a better understanding of this woman's blatant negligence.

Okay, let's try a new approach.

Who has claimed he did not need Advair? Please list your sources.

He didn't get it, I believe it was a combination of Mom and welfare that he didn't get his meds.

That does not mean he couldn't have used a rescue inhaler to SAVE HIS BLOODY LIFE!

And finally, many doctors do indeed use Albuterol to treat asthma. I'll take their advice over yours. There is more than one school of thinking and some people just don't handle steriods well and can't take it even when not used systemically.

A rescue inhaler (albuterol) ceases to be effective when the inflammatory effects of asthma become worse than the bronchospastic effects.

And when this happens, a steroid (inhaled or systemic) is needed.

Besides, I have read nothing that says he was not using albuterol.

A rescue inhaler (albuterol) ceases to be effective when the inflammatory effects of asthma become worse than the bronchospastic effects.

And when this happens, a steroid (inhaled or systemic) is needed.

Besides, I have read nothing that says he was not using albuterol.

A rescue inhaler is referred to as a rescue inhaler for a reason. A steroid inhaler does not work for days or weeks. It is a drug that has to build up over time. It is not a rescue drug.

I DID read something indicating he wasn't using a RESCUE inhaler, Mom claims he had NONE of his Rx's filled in months. Albuterol is an Rx.

I DID NOT read that. Please share.

If he couldn't get multiple Rx's filled because he was not in the system, what leads anyone to believe they would cover Albuterol?

A Denver mother whose son died after she was unable to fill his multiple prescriptions because pharmacists kept telling her he was not eligible for Medicaid — even though records proved he was — has filed a lawsuit against the city and county of Denver.
(emphasis my own)

I DID NOT read that. Please share.

If he couldn't get multiple Rx's filled because he was not in the system, what leads anyone to believe they would cover Albuterol?

A Denver mother whose son died after she was unable to fill his multiple prescriptions because pharmacists kept telling her he was not eligible for Medicaid — even though records proved he was — has filed a lawsuit against the city and county of Denver.
(emphasis my own)

Therefore, you made an assumption that the prescription included albuterol. That is probably a safe assumption.

But, seeing that albuterol is no longer generic and only comes in the brand names Ventolin HFA, Proventil HFA, or ProAir HFA, and each cost around $50, it would seem reasonable that she might not be able to afford it.

Therefore, you made an assumption that the prescription included albuterol. That is probably a safe assumption.

But, seeing that albuterol is no longer generic and only comes in the brand names Ventolin HFA, Proventil HFA, or ProAir HFA, and each cost around $50, it would seem reasonable that she might not be able to afford it.

I have to fess up, at first I did not believe you. I used to buy Albuterol all the time and while I am an RN I have not worked in that area of medicine for about 6 years. I'm a clinical case manager now.

I just called Walgreens (this one: (602) 943-3192) and talked to the male RPh. He verified that what you write is true. He explained that generic Albuterol inhalers used freon and due to the FDA that is no longer okay and this happened about 2 years ago.

But.... he also said that Pro Air is the cheapest. If you join Walgreens prescription plan for $20 a year a Pro-Air inhaler is less than $17 each. Otherwise, it is almost $70.

If I make no other point here this is the one I want to make. If my child needed life saving meds and the total cost would be $38 for the first inhaler and $18 for each one from there on and my child's life depended on it, I would go to any extreme to get it. I'd sell off personal items, I'd pitch a tent at the welfare office and not leave until their records were straightened out, I would call my congressman, I would picket the welfare office, hell... I'd work a street corner if I had to in order to come up with $38.

I would go to ANY extreme to save the life of my child. You can't honestly say this mother did that. I blame both welfare and Mom for this. Nothing I have read yet changes my opinions.

Annie, pro air is not as good as the others. It is quite possible that her doctor did not want him to have it for precisely that reason. The Pro Air has negative reviews all over the net..the longest it lasts is a week..so 17 bucks a week gets expensive for someone on medicaid...and it never lasts the 200 burst that it is supposed to..imagine it failing during an attack.

she called Denver County Human Services several times a week in the spring and summer of 2009 after she tried to get 9-year-old son Zumante's asthma medications at Walgreens and was told he wasn't eligible for Medicaid.

Her son's asthma worsened after several months of being off the anti-inflammatory drug Advair, which kept the disease manageable.

The boy died in July 2009. He fainted at his home after telling his mother he couldn't breathe and then died a few days later at Children's Hospital when he was taken off a ventilator.

Lucero-Mills repeatedly tried to fill prescriptions at Walgreens.

The county automatically generated paperwork after her continual calls and sent it to the family's home. It verified Zumante qualified for Medicaid — yet pharmacists said he wasn't in the system.

nothing said he died from the lack of an emergency rescue inhaler..it says he died because he didn't use Advair, his maintenence medications....so he fainted she took him to the hospital and he died a few days later in the hospital. This woman even got a print out and they still would not fill this very expensive medication..that quite honestly is difficult for anyone to afford. Annie I want to know where you get that she is a career welfare mother? As far as we know she works 2 jobs and still does not make enough money.

If she works 2 jobs at some point overthe past couple of months she got a paycheck.

Any way you cut it, the responsibility, if it's not just a plain old tragedy, is hers.

If she works 2 jobs at some point overthe past couple of months she got a paycheck.

Any way you cut it, the responsibility, if it's not just a plain old tragedy, is hers.

even getting a paycheck..paying out 300 bucks or more is not child's play...especially if the difference is you aren't going to eat nor is your child. She had the paperwork that showed she was eligible and she tried for months to get it straight talking to someone sometimes and many times no returned phone call and no answer...if you have ever tried calling one of those places you know exactly what happened...the incompetent DFACS office or however they call it in her state..was an issue..

You don't let your kid die because some office worker brushes you off. That's the long and short of it.

And she didn't pursue it or she would have gotten the issue fixed.

nothing said he died from the lack of an emergency rescue inhaler..it says he died because he didn't use Advair, his maintenence medications....so he fainted she took him to the hospital and he died a few days later in the hospital. This woman even got a print out and they still would not fill this very expensive medication..that quite honestly is difficult for anyone to afford. Annie I want to know where you get that she is a career welfare mother? As far as we know she works 2 jobs and still does not make enough money.

You are right, it's her attitude that the system should do for her instead of her dealing with the system. However, if she had 2 jobs in months and months surely she could afford $38 for a rescue inhaler in a pinch. I know that personally I would have FOUND a way.

even getting a paycheck..paying out 300 bucks or more is not child's play...especially if the difference is you aren't going to eat nor is your child. She had the paperwork that showed she was eligible and she tried for months to get it straight talking to someone sometimes and many times no returned phone call and no answer...if you have ever tried calling one of those places you know exactly what happened...the incompetent DFACS office or however they call it in her state..was an issue..

Correction, for a rescue inhaler it's $38 for the first one and $18 for each one from there on for a year.

Making a few phone calls is nothing. Pitching a tent in front of the welfare office would have probably gotten some attention. Anyone can sit and make phone calls, sometimes you have to fight and Mom did not.

had a rescue inhaler...it didn't work..he died...what she needed was the Advair..a maintenence medication that is very very expensive. The child I believe died in the hospital..rescue inhalers don't always work depending on the advanced stage of the attack and if you are using your maintenence meds or not..in this case he was not using his maintenence meds which caused him to die..the maintenence meds are clearly not just ten bucks...

Again, I'm asking you for a source that shows she had a rescue inhaler and it didn't work. Or, is this an assumption on your part? Where are you getting YOUR info?

You are right, it's her attitude that the system should do for her instead of her dealing with the system. However, if she had 2 jobs in months and months surely she could afford $38 for a rescue inhaler in a pinch. I know that personally I would have FOUND a way.

Correction, for a rescue inhaler it's $38 for the first one and $18 for each one from there on for a year.

Making a few phone calls is nothing. Pitching a tent in front of the welfare office would have probably gotten some attention. Anyone can sit and make phone calls, sometimes you have to fight and Mom did not.

had a rescue inhaler...it didn't work..he died...what she needed was the Advair..a maintenence medication that is very very expensive. The child I believe died in the hospital..rescue inhalers don't always work depending on the advanced stage of the attack and if you are using your maintenence meds or not..in this case he was not using his maintenence meds which caused him to die..the maintenence meds are clearly not just ten bucks...

Again, I'm asking you for a source that shows she had a rescue inhaler and it didn't work. Or, is this an assumption on your part? Where are you getting YOUR info?

Advair does not cost $38, what part of the lack of the Advair is what killed him do you not understand? That is what is in his autopsy report...says nothing about the lack of an inhaler but the fact he went without maintenence meds killed him. Inhalers don't work properly all of the time especially if you don't have maintenence meds. Somehow you think that Advair is an inhaler, it isn't..it is a carticosteroid that is in powder form in a disc that you inhale..and it costs about $250 not the little amount you scream about...you need to read up on this...also, have you bothered to see that she tried to deal with the system...she called and went down to the offices several times a week...she was even given a printout showing her eligible, they still did not fix the glitch even after months of doing this...you clearly never have dealt with those idiots.

Annie, pro air is not as good as the others. It is quite possible that her doctor did not want him to have it for precisely that reason. The Pro Air has negative reviews all over the net..the longest it lasts is a week..so 17 bucks a week gets expensive for someone on medicaid...and it never lasts the 200 burst that it is supposed to..imagine it failing during an attack.

Odds are, it would have only taken one $38 rescue inhaler to save is life. I say she could have sold personal possessions to get that money, you say she might have had two jobs. So why not save her sons life and fight harder to deal with a crappy system? When your child's life is at risk you don't just make a few phone calls every week. You kick your ass into high gear and you go fight for your child. Mom claims she called several times.

Bleh...

Tell me something, is that all you would do for your child? Make a few phone calls and let it go? Is it?

Nobody is suggesting the welfare office was correct. We are suggesting Mom was also at fault for not jumping in there and fighting for her son.

kosher girl, she did persue it, she had a printout because she persued it...it still didn't fix the problem and the pharmacy still did not issue the meds because the computer did not show him as eligible for medicaid.

Forum List

Back