Why do I have to pay for society's screw-ups?

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Patrick2, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Patrick2

Patrick2 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Think what it does to the nation's health bill (insurance premiums, medicare/medicaid costs) that there are lots of super-fat people who have never seen the inside of a gym.

About 150 years ago, doctors began to notice that it was smokers who were much more likely to get lung cancer.

How many druggies and drunks don't bother to pay for health insurance?

How many don't care what they eat, as long as it tastes good? Someone said in that department, americans are walking garbage cans.

How many gays think it's their constitutional right to screw each other w/o protection, and it's the taxpayer who must bail them out by paying for their meds plus zillions of dollars in research on the disease?

This extends of course beyond health related issues.

How many people have worked in maufacturing, not seen the handwriting on the wall for decades that their job will be exported, and don't train themselves for something new, but just go on the public dole when their job finally disappears? Or they stupidly demand government tariffs or the like?

How many mothers with children have to get welfare because the mother made an obviously stupid choice in getting pregnant and then dumped by some creep?

How many geezers didn't provide for their old-age, thinking medicare/social security is supposed to be their retirement plan?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,804
    The answer to that is easy:

Liberalism.

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Are you an American? If so you pay your part.
    Or you could leave of course.

4. toxicmedia

toxicmedia Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    In the socialized medicine countries of Europe...providers and suppliers don't get rich from medicine. Medical care in the US is becoming out of reach for the middle class due to costs. I work in the medical insurance industry and know what I'm talking about. Medical plans keep getting more expensive, and the deductibles and copays keep rising. Already...individual/family plans are bankrupting families who shell out $3000 a month for useless insurance. Pretty soon, the big employer plans will do the same thing. The insurance companies keep squeezing providers with lower contract rates. The plan members get less, and the doctors get less. By 2030, at this rate...the government will have to allow people to just die for lack of care, or provide it themselves. Medical care through medical insurance in America is even more unsustainable than our debt.

I don't want it to go socialized...but I can't see how it won't. And it won't be any different if Republicans get elected.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Now Toxic we all know that the medical industry will regulate itself to the benefit of the USA?

6. toxicmedia

toxicmedia Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    No offense....but this repsonse is vacuuous, intellectually repulsive, and completely ignores the realities in the healthcare industry.

I'm not casting dispersions on you...but not everything is allways the fault of liberals.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. toxicmedia

toxicmedia Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    The problem is that providers, insurers, and suppliers can't all make ever increasing amounts of money when the cost to patients keeps going up, and their salaries keep going down, or staying flat.

It's simple math. Care costs too much, and it's getting worse exponentially. Obamacare doesn't do enough, and Republicans don't want to do anything at all, and I don't even know what could be done.

8. Truthseeker420

Truthseeker420 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    screw ups? I thought you were talking about the bankers. And the geezers paid for medicare and social security so it is the fraud and theft by corporastions and neocons that are the screw ups.

9. Patrick2

Patrick2 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    So you're saying we should all joyfully pay for the screwups or leave? Nice choice.

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    We have about waited too long to do anything without having a major impact economically on the USA.