Chicago teacher's union wants a 30% pay raise

The union argues that Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) wants to extend the school day, and that the requested salary increase would compensate them for extending the school day from 5.5 hours—among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours.

I'm sure some smart Conservative has already pointed out that going from 5.5 hours to 7.5 hours is a 36% increase in the work day. The teachers are asking for a 30% raise.

Seems to me that's less than they deserve.

Last edited:
The union argues that Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) wants to extend the school day, and that the requested salary increase would compensate them for extending the school day from 5.5 hours—among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours.

I'm sure some smart Conservative has already pointed out that going from 5.5 hours to 7.5 hours is a 36% increase in the work day. The teachers are asking for a 30% raise.

yes and history started yesterday....they had been given a low threshold and now that they are asked to step it up, the screaming starts, low expectations are responsible for this mess along with craven union cronyism, period.

Oh and they are broke....see how that works?

yes and history started yesterday....they had been given a low threshold and now that they are asked to step it up, the screaming starts, low expectations are responsible for this mess along with craven union cronyism, period.

So you think they should work a 36% longer day for $0 in increased compensation?

Would you do that?

So you think they should work a 36% longer day for $0 in increased compensation?

Would you do that?

I already have, for several years....next.

what are you that simple that you don't know many companies, yes, fortune 500 co's have not provided wage increases 401 k matches or laid off workers shrinking the dept or grp. size and expecting the same work get done? get real.

They were given such a low threshold and treated like kings and queens over the years, the state is broke and all of that hiring ahead of inflation and pop. growth has caught up with them, so, what? the sky will fall?

.....they can suck it up like I and many many private sector did and are.... ...oh and in the end, 3 years later I still got laid off:lol: but- that's life.....they need to grow up.

Would you do that?

I already have, for several years....next.

what are you that simple that you don't know many companies, yes, fortune 500 co's have not provided wage increases 401 k matches or laid off workers shrinking the dept or grp. size and expecting the same work get done? get real.

They were given such a low threshold and treated like kings and queens over the years, the state is broke and all of that hiring ahead of inflation and pop. growth has caught up with them, so, what? the sky will fall?

.....they can suck it up like I and many many private sector did and are.... ...oh and in the end, 3 years later I still got laid off:lol: but- that's life.....they need to grow up.

You busted your ass for a company that just ended up firing you?

That was stupid.

They are asking 90K plus bennies for a normal 37 hour work week, as it stands now they are only working 27 hours a week for 71k plus bennies.

No wonder they only have 50 percent graduating. I have never heard of a school only being in session from 8 AM to 1:30 PM. The rest of the country goes for 7.5 hours or more.

Give the kids their lunch break and recess @ 5.5 hours a day and they are only in class a 3.5 hours a day. That is shameful.

I don't live in or pay taxes in Illinois. So why should I care?

I'll just say its funny how the right whines about non-existent double digit inflation and then doesn't think it right to raise people's pay along with it.

You don't live in Louisiana either, but that didn't stop you from bitching about their vouchers.

I'll just say its funny how the right whines about non-existent double digit inflation and then doesn't think it right to raise people's pay along with it.

You don't live in Louisiana either, but that didn't stop you from bitching about their vouchers.

I live in New Orleans. You're a moron.

CaféAuLait;5438526 said:

They are asking 90K plus bennies for a normal 37 hour work week, as it stands now they are only working 27 hours a week for 71k plus bennies.

No wonder they only have 50 percent graduating. I have never heard of a school only being in session from 8 AM to 1:30 PM. The rest of the country goes for 7.5 hours or more.

Give the kids their lunch break and recess @ 5.5 hours a day and they are only in class a 3.5 hours a day. That is shameful.

You need to read up on this topic if you think the hours you posted are correct in any way.

You gotta love a lib union member. They want to get paid more so they'll do a better job...while the rest of the world knows in order to make more money you have to do a better job.
Fuckin idiots.

No, they want to get paid more because they are being asked to work longer.

Would you work 2 hours more a day for no extra money?

CaféAuLait;5438526 said:

You mean they are only AT SCHOOL 27 hours a week.

Either way - it doesn't take an economic genius to figure out you can't expect someone to give you 37% more labor on a permanent basis for no increase in pay. You can fully expect teachers to quit for better employment and be replaced by those less suited to the job.

Last edited:
Anybody wanna defend this?
" It takes a lot of nerve to ask for a 30 percent pay raise. You’d better be sure you had a banner year. Yet in Chicago, where just 15 percent of fourth graders are proficient in reading (and just 56 percent of students graduate), the teachers union is set to strike if the district does not agree to a 30 percent increase in teachers’ salaries.

The average teacher in Chicago Public Schools—a district facing a $700 million deficit—makes $71,000 per year before benefits are included. If the district meets union demands and rewards teachers with the requested salary increase, education employees will receive compensation north of $92,000 per year.

According to the Illinois Policy Institute, the average annual income of a family in Chicago is $47,000 per year. If implemented, the 30 percent raise will mean that in nine months, a single teacher in the Chicago Public School system will take home nearly double what the average family in the city earns in a year.

According to the union, 91 percent of its members voted for the ability to strike. That vote gives the union the ability to walk out of public school classrooms as children return to school this fall.

The union argues that Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) wants to extend the school day, and that the requested salary increase would compensate them for extending the school day from 5.5 hours—among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours. Chicago Public Schools states that under the extended school day:

On average teachers will provide 5.5 hours of instruction (an increase of 54 minutes), receive a 45-minute duty-free lunch and 60-minute prep period and supervise the passing period. They will also be required to be on-site for 10 minutes before and after school.
While the union bemoans the longer school day and is demanding a hefty pay raise as a result, taxpayers will be left holding the bill for a 30 percent salary increase and wondering whether $92,000 is appropriate compensation for public school employees. "

Chicago Teachers Union Demands 30 Percent Pay Raise
-------

Where do you think teachers get their money from? if they raised the teachers pay that would mean someone would have to come up with the short fall. And where do you suggest that would come from? :cuckoo:

Anybody wanna defend this?
" It takes a lot of nerve to ask for a 30 percent pay raise. You’d better be sure you had a banner year. Yet in Chicago, where just 15 percent of fourth graders are proficient in reading (and just 56 percent of students graduate), the teachers union is set to strike if the district does not agree to a 30 percent increase in teachers’ salaries.

The average teacher in Chicago Public Schools—a district facing a $700 million deficit—makes $71,000 per year before benefits are included. If the district meets union demands and rewards teachers with the requested salary increase, education employees will receive compensation north of $92,000 per year.

According to the Illinois Policy Institute, the average annual income of a family in Chicago is $47,000 per year. If implemented, the 30 percent raise will mean that in nine months, a single teacher in the Chicago Public School system will take home nearly double what the average family in the city earns in a year.

According to the union, 91 percent of its members voted for the ability to strike. That vote gives the union the ability to walk out of public school classrooms as children return to school this fall.

The union argues that Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) wants to extend the school day, and that the requested salary increase would compensate them for extending the school day from 5.5 hours—among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours. Chicago Public Schools states that under the extended school day:

On average teachers will provide 5.5 hours of instruction (an increase of 54 minutes), receive a 45-minute duty-free lunch and 60-minute prep period and supervise the passing period. They will also be required to be on-site for 10 minutes before and after school.
While the union bemoans the longer school day and is demanding a hefty pay raise as a result, taxpayers will be left holding the bill for a 30 percent salary increase and wondering whether $92,000 is appropriate compensation for public school employees. "

Chicago Teachers Union Demands 30 Percent Pay Raise
-------

Where do you think teachers get their money from? if they raised the teachers pay that would mean someone would have to come up with the short fall. And where do you suggest that would come from? :cuckoo:

That's clearly a question that should be settled before you expect them to work 2 more hours a day, don't you think?

Hey you! I need you to work 37% more. I'm not going to pay you more because I have no idea where to get the money.
That's just not gonna fly in the long run.

The private school teachers can't be happy with this, because it means the best qualified public school teachers will now be flooding the market for private school teachers, so they'll have more competition.

That's clearly a question that should be settled before you expect them to work 2 more hours a day, don't you think?

Hey you! I need you to work 37% more. I'm not going to pay you more because I have no idea where to get the money.

The private school teachers can't be happy with this, because it means the best qualified public school teachers will now be flooding the market for private school teachers, so they'll have more competition.

I enjoy the complaints about how much more a teacher will be getting than the "average" salary in Illinois. As if that WON'T attract the best people into the profession.

Unreal.

CaféAuLait;5438526 said:

You need to read up on this topic if you think the hours you posted are correct in any way.

I got the hours from reading the OP link.

But here are more sources:

NPR:

Most kids in Chicago's public schools spend just five hours and 45 minutes in school a day. It's one of the shortest school days in the country.

Chicago Wants Longer School Day; Foes Want Details : NPR

CaféAuLait;5438617 said:
CaféAuLait;5438526 said:

I got the hours from reading the OP link.

But here are more sources:

NPR:

Most kids in Chicago's public schools spend just five hours and 45 minutes in school a day. It's one of the shortest school days in the country.

Chicago Wants Longer School Day; Foes Want Details : NPR

I don't think anyone is arguing the importance of extending the day to give kids more classroom time. But you seem to think that's the ONLY time a teacher is working, and that is amazingly wrong.

I enjoy the complaints about how much more a teacher will be getting than the "average" salary in Illinois. As if that WON'T attract the best people into the profession.

Unreal.

What I don't get is the right wing claims to be against communism yet they seem to think government workers shouldn't get paid above the national median income regardless of what their actual job is. :Like why should a nuclear scientist on the government payroll get paid national median income when, in fact, that would mean no nuclear scientist worth a shit would ever take a government job because you don't go through 10 years of schooling just to get a job making national median income.

Forum List

Back