Chicago teacher's union wants a 30% pay raise

So I guess if Chicago wants better teachers they can pay teachers more. If they want shittier teachers they can lower their pay.

It would be that simple to you.
Its called getting what you pay for.

Yeah maybe we can get Donald Trump to run the deal and we can broadcast it as a reality TV show on national TV. Jeez.

Let the market determine salaries, just like every other industry.
The market isn't concerned with ensuring your children have an education its concerned with profit.

"Public educators, like Soviet farmers, lack any incentive to produce results, innovate, to be efficient, to make the kinds of of difficult changes that private firms operating in a competitive market must make to survive." Carolyn Lochhead

According to one economic theory, yes. The one that assumes everyone is 100% solely motivated by a 100% rational desire for profit. It ignores the real world.

Wow. You really are a full on communist. Good luck with that.

Anybody wanna defend this?
" It takes a lot of nerve to ask for a 30 percent pay raise. You’d better be sure you had a banner year. Yet in Chicago, where just 15 percent of fourth graders are proficient in reading (and just 56 percent of students graduate), the teachers union is set to strike if the district does not agree to a 30 percent increase in teachers’ salaries.

The average teacher in Chicago Public Schools—a district facing a $700 million deficit—makes $71,000 per year before benefits are included. If the district meets union demands and rewards teachers with the requested salary increase, education employees will receive compensation north of $92,000 per year.

According to the Illinois Policy Institute, the average annual income of a family in Chicago is $47,000 per year. If implemented, the 30 percent raise will mean that in nine months, a single teacher in the Chicago Public School system will take home nearly double what the average family in the city earns in a year.

According to the union, 91 percent of its members voted for the ability to strike. That vote gives the union the ability to walk out of public school classrooms as children return to school this fall.

The union argues that Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) wants to extend the school day, and that the requested salary increase would compensate them for extending the school day from 5.5 hours—among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours. Chicago Public Schools states that under the extended school day:

On average teachers will provide 5.5 hours of instruction (an increase of 54 minutes), receive a 45-minute duty-free lunch and 60-minute prep period and supervise the passing period. They will also be required to be on-site for 10 minutes before and after school.
While the union bemoans the longer school day and is demanding a hefty pay raise as a result, taxpayers will be left holding the bill for a 30 percent salary increase and wondering whether $92,000 is appropriate compensation for public school employees. "

Chicago Teachers Union Demands 30 Percent Pay Raise
-------

Wow, they only work 5 and a half hours a day to begin with and have three months off in the summer? So they work 27 hours a week, get three months off in the summer and are already paid 71 grand a year BEFORE bennies? And only 50 percent of the kids graduate? Damn!

I want to work under 30 hours a week have three months off PLUS vacation and sick days for 71 grand a year PLUS bennies!

How about the wealthy who only paid 15% tax, while those teachers pay at least 30%?

The little guy cant afford tax lawyers & lobbyist so the government is not afraid to take their assets. Many of the rich pay zero tax because they know the IRS is afraid to make them pay. The rich don't even pay property tax or any other state & local tax unless they want to.

It would be that simple to you.

Yeah maybe we can get Donald Trump to run the deal and we can broadcast it as a reality TV show on national TV. Jeez.

The market isn't concerned with ensuring your children have an education its concerned with profit.

"Public educators, like Soviet farmers, lack any incentive to produce results, innovate, to be efficient, to make the kinds of of difficult changes that private firms operating in a competitive market must make to survive." Carolyn Lochhead

According to one economic theory, yes. The one that assumes everyone is 100% solely motivated by a 100% rational desire for profit. It ignores the real world.

Right. Because anyone who doesn't believe that simplified economic models correspond exactly to reality MUST be a COMMIE!

I don't live in or pay taxes in Illinois. So why should I care?

I'll just say its funny how the right whines about non-existent double digit inflation and then doesn't think it right to raise people's pay along with it.

Well excuse the Right for not wanting to fork over more of their Tax Money to reward substandard Teachers with higher salaries. What's "Funny", is that the Left has no grasp of the simple concept that if you produce "positive results", you get "rewarded" for it. The opposite... Not so much.

If you want to attract better teachers you'll have to raise teacher pay.

I fail to see what you don't get about that.

^Don't be absurd... The Taxpayers are TIRED of sacrificing "results", for the business of rewarding "Tenure over Performance". Wisconsin was proof of that. You don't need to raise pay... You need to remove SUBSTANDARD Teachers protected by tenure, and REPLACE them with Teachers who will produce better students. In this Economy, I'd suspect there are plenty of people more qualified who wouldn't mind replacing poorly performing Teachers for the same, if not a lesser Salary. Your argument for raising teacher's salaries is indefensible when it is the Taxpayer's footing the Bill.

Well excuse the Right for not wanting to fork over more of their Tax Money to reward substandard Teachers with higher salaries. What's "Funny", is that the Left has no grasp of the simple concept that if you produce "positive results", you get "rewarded" for it. The opposite... Not so much.

^Don't be absurd... The Taxpayers are TIRED of sacrificing "results", for the business of rewarding "Tenure over Performance". Wisconsin was proof of that. You don't need to raise pay... You need to remove SUBSTANDARD Teachers protected by tenure, and REPLACE them with Teachers who will produce better students. In this Economy, I'd suspect there are plenty of people more qualified who wouldn't mind replacing poorly performing Teachers for the same, if not a lesser Salary. Your argument for raising teacher's salaries is indefensible when it is the Taxpayer's footing the Bill.

What this means in practice is the teachers who teach at schools with kids who come from bad homes lose tenure and get paid less.

" It takes a lot of nerve to ask for a 30 percent pay raise. You’d better be sure you had a banner year. Yet in Chicago, where just 15 percent of fourth graders are proficient in reading (and just 56 percent of students graduate), the teachers union is set to strike if the district does not agree to a 30 percent increase in teachers’ salaries.

The average teacher in Chicago Public Schools—a district facing a $700 million deficit—makes $71,000 per year before benefits are included. If the district meets union demands and rewards teachers with the requested salary increase, education employees will receive compensation north of $92,000 per year.

According to the Illinois Policy Institute, the average annual income of a family in Chicago is $47,000 per year. If implemented, the 30 percent raise will mean that in nine months, a single teacher in the Chicago Public School system will take home nearly double what the average family in the city earns in a year.

According to the union, 91 percent of its members voted for the ability to strike. That vote gives the union the ability to walk out of public school classrooms as children return to school this fall.

The union argues that Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) wants to extend the school day, and that the requested salary increase would compensate them for extending the school day from 5.5 hours—among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours. Chicago Public Schools states that under the extended school day:

On average teachers will provide 5.5 hours of instruction (an increase of 54 minutes), receive a 45-minute duty-free lunch and 60-minute prep period and supervise the passing period. They will also be required to be on-site for 10 minutes before and after school.
While the union bemoans the longer school day and is demanding a hefty pay raise as a result, taxpayers will be left holding the bill for a 30 percent salary increase and wondering whether $92,000 is appropriate compensation for public school employees. "

Chicago Teachers Union Demands 30 Percent Pay Raise
-------

they're nuts?

I mean, you have to be kidding, Illinois is on the ropes.

example, even the usual purveyors of pension gaming, are barking;

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel recently offered a stark assessment of the threat to his state's future that is posed by mounting pension and retiree health-care bills for government workers. Unless Illinois enacts reform quickly, he said, the costs of these programs will force taxes so high that, "You won't recruit a business, you won't recruit a family to live here."

"Companies don't want to buy shares in a phenomenal tax burden that will unfold over the decades," the Chicago Tribune observed after Mr. Emanuel issued his warning on April 4. And neither will citizens.

snip-

Illinois is an object lesson in why firms are starting to pay more attention to the long-term fiscal prospects of communities. Early last year, the state imposed $7 billion in new taxes on residents and business, pledging to use the money to eliminate its deficit and pay down a backlog of unpaid bills (to Medicaid providers, state vendors and delayed tax refunds to businesses). But more than a year later, the state is in worse fiscal shape, with its total deficit expected to increase to $5 billion from $4.6 billion, according to an estimate by the Civic Federation of Chicago.

Rising pension costs will eat up much of the tax increase. Illinois borrowed money in the last two years to make contributions to its public pension funds. This year, under pressure to stop adding to its debt, the legislature must make its pension contributions out of tax money. That will cost $4.1 billion plus an additional $1.6 billion in interest payments on previous pension borrowings.

more at-

Steven Malanga: How Retirement Benefits May Sink the States - WSJ.com

More right wing fuzzy math...city has the teaches working more hours with out any cost of living raise or extra pay. More hours should get more pay.

Bullshit - More performance should equal more pay. We have been paying more & getting less to long.

performance? were not talking about how many widgets you can make an hour. A childs education is effected by circumstances beyond the teachers control.

What this means in practice is the teachers who teach at schools with kids who come from bad homes lose tenure and get paid less.

Can you please define what YOU meant by "bad homes"? So I have an idea of the exact direction I think you are trying to take this.

More right wing fuzzy math...city has the teaches working more hours with out any cost of living raise or extra pay. More hours should get more pay.

Bullshit - More performance should equal more pay. We have been paying more & getting less to long.

performance? were not talking about how many widgets you can make an hour. A childs education is effected by circumstances beyond the teachers control.

Then the PARENTS need to be held accountable... Or is that asking too much? I don't think so.

Then the PARENTS need to be held accountable... Or is that asking too much? I don't think so.

do what to the parents?

I'm not advocating doing "something to them", but is a little bit of personal responsibility for how your kids do in school asking too much?

Devil's advocate hat on: how is it in America today that the focus on being overpaid (?) is directed only at working Americans? How about congress? They've done nothing for at least two years now? Why not criticize them? How about the wealthy who only paid 15% tax, while those teachers pay at least 30%? How about wall street and the bailout losers who almost crashed the economy, but managed golden parachutes and exorbitant pay? The right wing - conservative - republican - libertarian and other assorted whiners, wear blinders that only focus on working people who actually work. Time you paid attention to everyone and stopped screwing your fellow Americans with your myopic vision of the world of work and pay.

"Though it is often claimed that the left stands for equality while the right stand for freedom, the notion misstates the actual disagreement between right and left. Historically, the conservative has favored liberty for the higher orders and constraint for the lower orders. What the conservatives sees and dislikes in equality, in other words, is not a threat to freedom but its extension." Corey Robin

BS...

irs.jpg

agreed and at the end of the day, the well is dry, its that simple.

Right. Because anyone who doesn't believe that simplified economic models correspond exactly to reality MUST be a COMMIE!

No, anyone that rejects capitalism in favor of central planning. That'd be you.

That is just another union cop out! Parents are just as accountable today as they were years ago or in all the countries who have passed us up on education.

do what to the parents?

I'm not advocating doing "something to them", but is a little bit of personal responsibility for how your kids do in school asking too much?

I agree and i believe a parent taking interest in a childs education might be the single biggest factor in a child doing well...

Forum List

Back