Chicago teacher's union wants a 30% pay raise

No. 40 hour work week seems fair. I guess it's a charmed life with all the time off including the paid breaks. In the real world, the story is very different, huh.

So if someone has a job working 27 hours a week, their boss should expect them to start working 40 hour weeks for no extra pay?

Yeah that's good economic sense. You fucking moron. Try that one out in real life, see what happens.

EDIT: Not to mention anyone who has ever known a school teacher knows they bring plenty of work home with them.

I don't think I'm the moron, unless you consider my tax money paying teachers for full time work in the first place, while they put in part time work for a part of the year, as a cool scam? I respect the Individual that understands worth and fair measure. Clearly you don't.

They aren't being "paid for full time work in the first place", shit for brains, they're being paid for 27.5 hours a week "in the first place"

What I see is bad math, and as the bad math becomes more clear and evident, I see those with the power, running for the life boats, with no regard for who they trample over. I'm one of those brick walls you run into. Now.... Fuck Off.

Here's some math for you - MORE WORK = MORE PAY
Got it dumbass?

Excellent. Please name the profession of the 5 people ( excluding family ) who you feel have most influenced you on your road to success.

Thanks.

public school teacher
public school coach
private school teacher
professor of physics
professor of physics

As I suspected.

Any successful person in any field...........if honest.......will give credit to his or her teachers if asked this question.

Teachers should be respected and highly paid. That we are debating this is fucking ridiculous.

For those crying over the "cushy" work schedule of teachers:

Research: Chicago public school teachers log long hours | News Bureau | University of Illinois

Teachers work 58 hours per week on average during the school year.

Teachers work for 10 hours and 48 minutes on average during a standard school day, and spend almost an additional two hours working at home in the evening.

Teachers work another three hours and 45 minutes on school-related work over the weekend.

“We wanted to show just how long, and just how many actual working hours, are involved in being a K-12 teacher in the Chicago Public School system,” Bruno said. “What we found is that teachers are spending almost 10-plus hours per day at the school, and then putting in roughly another two hours at home. So their workday is absolutely not five hours and 45 minutes but almost twice that – and that’s not even including weekends.”

Those fucking lazy ass teachers, only working 12 hour days! LEACHES!

So basically the idiots want them to work 14 hour days for no extra pay.

CaféAuLait;5438743 said:
Its not their job ensure the children come to school well fed and in good physical and mental health, ready to learn. That's the parents job and the teachers can't do that.

Why do you think extra instruction time necessarily leads to greater student achievement? Doesn't instruction time have to be balanced with individual work time, and if you add 2 more hours of instruction, don't you necessarily remove two hours the student would have had to work on their own? Why not 8.5 hours? Why not 12.5? Is 7.5 the ideal amount just because that's what YOU had as a child, or is there some scientific reason it is the right amount?

The city's mayor, Rahm Emanuel is behind this push for longer school hours. You assume that the poor achievement is about food and or parenting. Sure we can blame part of it on such, just as any school district. However their failure rate is about 50 percent and it all can't be blamed on parents.

How do you know? You 're just guessing. Where's the evidence?

Somewhere along the way their school mentors have responsibility too. Having the shortest school days of the country is obviously not helping.

There are plenty of failing school districts with long days.

I'm not guessing, I am reading Mayor Rahm Emanuel from the NPR article I linked to earlier. He states that the day is so short they have to pick and choose if they get to learn math, science or have lunch!

Chicago Wants Longer School Day; Foes Want Details : NPR

Devil's advocate hat on: how is it in America today that the focus on being overpaid (?) is directed only at working Americans? How about congress? They've done nothing for at least two years now? Why not criticize them? How about the wealthy who only paid 15% tax, while those teachers pay at least 30%? How about wall street and the bailout losers who almost crashed the economy, but managed golden parachutes and exorbitant pay? The right wing - conservative - republican - libertarian and other assorted whiners, wear blinders that only focus on working people who actually work. Time you paid attention to everyone and stopped screwing your fellow Americans with your myopic vision of the world of work and pay.

"Though it is often claimed that the left stands for equality while the right stand for freedom, the notion misstates the actual disagreement between right and left. Historically, the conservative has favored liberty for the higher orders and constraint for the lower orders. What the conservatives sees and dislikes in equality, in other words, is not a threat to freedom but its extension." Corey Robin

Conservatives think a businessman pulling in 250K is barely getting by, but a teacher, fireman, or policeman making 50 - 60K is an overpaid leech.

I initially was thinking that, damn 30% increase is pretty hefty raise in pay. But the increase work time is > 30%. Teachers put in a lot of time outside of class too, preparing and grading. I would say most teachers put in a lot more than 40 hrs/week.

You don't know what conservatives think, so stop pretending you do

For those crying over the "cushy" work schedule of teachers:

Research: Chicago public school teachers log long hours | News Bureau | University of Illinois

Teachers work 58 hours per week on average during the school year.

Teachers work for 10 hours and 48 minutes on average during a standard school day, and spend almost an additional two hours working at home in the evening.

Teachers work another three hours and 45 minutes on school-related work over the weekend.

“We wanted to show just how long, and just how many actual working hours, are involved in being a K-12 teacher in the Chicago Public School system,” Bruno said. “What we found is that teachers are spending almost 10-plus hours per day at the school, and then putting in roughly another two hours at home. So their workday is absolutely not five hours and 45 minutes but almost twice that – and that’s not even including weekends.”

The "idiot" is Mayor Rahm Emanuel former White House Chief of Staff and current Mayor of Chicago.

The students are failing at a rate of near 50 percent.

CaféAuLait;5438855 said:

The "idiot" is Mayor Rahm Emanuel former White House Chief of Staff and current Mayor of Chicago.

You are clearly a racist!!

Hep the chilrens. Hep the babeeze.

Is there an example somewhere in the world of an education system that we should emulate?

Catholic schools right here in the USA.

So you think the public schools should get to pick and choose the students they like, and completely eliminate their current mission - to educate all - and change it to educating only those that the schools feel like educating.

BRILLIANT plan.

And I guess that extra hour a day getting taught that gays are going to hell and that women can't possibly be priests because Jesus was a man really helps, too

So you think they should work a 36% longer day for $0 in increased compensation?

Would you do that?

I already have, for several years....next.

what are you that simple that you don't know many companies, yes, fortune 500 co's have not provided wage increases 401 k matches or laid off workers shrinking the dept or grp. size and expecting the same work get done? get real.

They were given such a low threshold and treated like kings and queens over the years, the state is broke and all of that hiring ahead of inflation and pop. growth has caught up with them, so, what? the sky will fall?

.....they can suck it up like I and many many private sector did and are.... ...oh and in the end, 3 years later I still got laid off:lol: but- that's life.....they need to grow up.

You busted your ass for a company that just ended up firing you?

That was stupid.

well now, that comment tells me a lot about you.....to bad.

no, its called being an adult and doing what you have to do. There was and is no guarantee of work anywhere for anyone except your union anointed apparently.....how old are you? 18?

CaféAuLait;5438855 said:

And?

Well they'd better study harder then, don't you think?

So if someone has a job working 27 hours a week, their boss should expect them to start working 40 hour weeks for no extra pay?

Yeah that's good economic sense. You fucking moron. Try that one out in real life, see what happens.

EDIT: Not to mention anyone who has ever known a school teacher knows they bring plenty of work home with them.

I don't think I'm the moron, unless you consider my tax money paying teachers for full time work in the first place, while they put in part time work for a part of the year, as a cool scam? I respect the Individual that understands worth and fair measure. Clearly you don't.

They aren't being "paid for full time work in the first place", shit for brains, they're being paid for 27.5 hours a week "in the first place"

What I see is bad math, and as the bad math becomes more clear and evident, I see those with the power, running for the life boats, with no regard for who they trample over. I'm one of those brick walls you run into. Now.... Fuck Off.

Here's some math for you - MORE WORK = MORE PAY
Got it dumbass?

I think you are in the wrong line of work. You are not a People Person. You are about you. Here is a thought ..... Better Work, better Pay. Be thankful for what you have. Quality beats quantity, every time. You have neither. Learn to care about what you do and you will start to succeed. Move ot of Chicago and find honest work. ..... Oh Yeah.... Fuck Off. What a Jack Ass. I can only imagine how the kids react to you.

CaféAuLait;5438855 said:

And?

Well they'd better study harder then, don't you think?

They should move and try a clean start in a qualified school.

Forum List

Back