Chicago Set To Get Hit With Record Snow Storm!!!

We're getting lucky, at least we're expecting the foot of snow before the inch or two of ice.

Bad enough, but the other way around is worse.

Everybody be smart and stay safe! :eusa_pray:

Be safe GC. The storm is supposed to sweep just north of me. Supposed to be 51 Tomorrow here in east central KY. 40 miles north is getting freezing rain now.

You're lucky. This is going to be a mess.

It won't start here for a few hours yet, then just snow tonight and most of the day tomorrow. Tomorrow night and Wednesday are when it'll be bad for us.

If you don't see me for a couple days, you'll know why! :(

I would Fax you some electric if I could if yours goes out.
I have a couple of stationary gensets and close to 1000 gal of propane to run them.

And a little 5kw portable genny I think too.
That is if the last one that borrowed it brought it back. Have to have my handy man check on that.

We're getting lucky, at least we're expecting the foot of snow before the inch or two of ice.

Bad enough, but the other way around is worse.

Everybody be smart and stay safe! :eusa_pray:

Be safe GC. The storm is supposed to sweep just north of me. Supposed to be 51 Tomorrow here in east central KY. 40 miles north is getting freezing rain now.

Not wishing me safety you bastard!

It was like Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse arrived, the grocery store was insane.

Ramen, Mac and Cheese, milk, eggs, waffles, pancakes, french toast, bacon, pasta, tomato sauce, Tostados, sprite, crunchers, bananas, chunky soup and

the most important case of beer and bottle of Woodford Reserve!

Holy cow, it was craaazy! I forgot to get lunchmeat Sunday and I didn't know about the weather until this morning. I stood in line at the deli for 20 minutes. I high-tailed it out of there after picking up some milk. We could go for weeks here without a grocery run, but . . if we run out of milk for the coffee? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Snow is coming down, my car is partially buried. Wish I could go out now and start shoveling.

It's not windy but pretty cold.

How is everyone?

Snow is coming down, my car is partially buried. Wish I could go out now and start shoveling.

How is everyone?

It's going to be a fun day in the St. Louis area today. We've been getting ice since around 9:00 yesterday night. The local public rail system has sections that are shut down because of ice buildup on the overhead lines.

It's expected to change to snow in a few hours. That will really be a mess. Thankfully, I have a lot of rock salt for the driveway, or I'd never be able to get back in.

How is everyone?

It's going to be a fun day in the St. Louis area today. We've been getting ice since around 9:00 yesterday night. The local public rail system has sections that are shut down because of ice buildup on the overhead lines.

It's expected to change to snow in a few hours. That will really be a mess. Thankfully, I have a lot of rock salt for the driveway, or I'd never be able to get back in.

Oh my goodness. I bought rock salt yesterday but we're getting up to a foot of snow through tonight and tomorrow morning. It's crazy.

I'm going to dig out and go to work. Not sure about tomorrow.

Checking in from Indy here, the ice storm is starting to sprinkle in, the cars out in my condo complex that aren't in the carports have a glaze on them already.

I AM SO AFRAID WE WILL LOSE POWER!

Our temps are too low for anything but snow. They've upped the numbers of inches again. :( Right now there's just an inch or so, but that's supposed to be changing this afternoon. The winds are already acting up.

All our utilities are buried, but the power generator plants are vulnerable to this much snow and wind. I bought some wood for the fireplace, batteries, flashlights and candles are sitting on the dining room table. I took some soup and stew out of freezer and have the Coleman stove in the garage, if worse happens. I'm lucky that my car is garaged and the association plows the driveways. I still need to do the walkway, though I can enter the house from the garage. Salt I laid down last night is covered already, so this won't be an easy fix.

Stay warm and I hope the lights stay on.

So far our school closings site is still at 11:50 pm. At that time the schools are pretty much calling it open for today, some early dismissals around 1:30, which makes sense, getting the buses off the road before it really hits. Extra curricular activities are canceled. Considering the small amounts so far and the predictions for the next 30 hours or so, I'm guessing that the concern is they may have to take two snow days.

OTOH, if the snow stops Wed. afternoon and the winds die down, they'll have school on Thursday, IF the municipalities have the money to get the snow removal equipment out. That's a big IF.

I just took a look outside, and there's about 1/8 inch of ice covering everything. Nothings falling now, but the radar shows it about 30 miles away and moving fast, so it's going to be coming down really hard during the morning rush.

I hope it comes down as snow instead of ice. The last ice storm we had a few years ago knocked out power in a huge area, and some folks didn't get it back for a week.

Major weather events and natural calamities tend to bring out the best in most people.

I susect that what's happening is this -- when mother nature is trying to kill us, we more easily recognize our shared human fraility and mutual dependence.

Nature disasters bring out the collectivist in most of us. (notice I do not say all of us?)

Storm could be one for the record books - DailyHerald.com

We are set to get hit with 20 ins! I thought, according to Al Gore, that our kids won't know what snow was! That we would have palm trees up north. WTF!!!

So far, there's about 4 inches out there at the most. I'm just outside of Chicago.

I'm in Wheaton and we also have about 3.5-4", the storm though doesn't hit until later this afternoon into evening. The winds are already horrid and coming from the East:

Chicago weather forecast and current conditions, including Tom Skilling's 7-day forecast - Chicago Weather Center

Find forecasts by zip code>>

Tuesday
Snow
HI
24°
LO
21°
BLIZZARD WARNING FROM 3 PM TUESDAY TO 4 PM WEDNESDAY. Light snow flurries from a wintry overcast much of the day. NE winds strengthen 14 to 28 mph. Gusts topping 30 mph before evening. Steady storm snowfall spreads in from the south mid and late afternoon. Full-blown blizzard this evening and tonight. Serious blowing/drifting as gusts build to 40-50 mph. Bursts of thunder-snow and periods with less than a quarter mile visibility. Blizzard or near blizzard conditions persist into Wednesday morning. Totals: 14-22 inches by Wednesday afternoon.
Wednesday
Snow
HI
23°
LO
-2°
Blizzard conditions start the day with heavy accumulating snow and north winds gusting to 50 mph combining to give whiteout conditions in open areas. As snow lets up in Chicago, it intensifies over Indiana later in the day.

Wow. Take care all. Looks like a rough few days for you. If it's any consolation, you might look at what Cairns, Australia is seeing right now.

We only got about 3 inches overnight and just turned over to sleet and rain about 12 hours earlier than previously expected. With temps at 23 degrees and falling, it's going to be a lovely next 2 days. At least we don't have the wind...yet. That's when things are going to get interesting.

Well, I thought the kids would get a two hour delay but they have off. Like you, GC, we only got a few inches but it is completely iced over. The dog didn't even make any pawpad impressions in the snow on the patio this morning, she just kinda slid over to the grass. lol I still don't know when the freezing rain/sleet is suppose to start en force but I'm really concerned about downed trees/wires and possible loss of power. Logic would dictate that I up the heat more than our usual 62-64 so if the power does go out it will at least be warmer in here for a bit. However, our last two PECO bills say otherwise.

We only got about 3 inches overnight and just turned over to sleet and rain about 12 hours earlier than previously expected. With temps at 23 degrees and falling, it's going to be a lovely next 2 days. At least we don't have the wind...yet. That's when things are going to get interesting.

I don't see where we will get anything but snow, too cold. I hate ice more than snow. But would prefer to be in Boca right about now. :lol:

I don't see where we will get anything but snow, too cold. I hate ice more than snow. But would prefer to be in Boca right about now. :lol:

The way I understand it we have warm air aloft, so it's not forming as snow. It's cold down here where us people are crawling around though.

It's not too bad yet and most people were smart enough not to shovel their walks, we're going to walk up to the corner store and get a couple extra things just to be sure. If we lose power I'm not too concerned it will last long unless it's the line to the house. The way the grid is laid out we're on the same lines as things that will be a priority, like the bank and the elementary school. But you just never know. :(

I could use a little Florida right about now. Or anywhere it's not cold and snizzling!

The way I understand it we have warm air aloft, so it's not forming as snow. It's cold down here where us people are crawling around though.

It's not too bad yet and most people were smart enough not to shovel their walks, we're going to walk up to the corner store and get a couple extra things just to be sure. If we lose power I'm not too concerned it will last long unless it's the line to the house. The way the grid is laid out we're on the same lines as things that will be a priority, like the bank and the elementary school. But you just never know. :(

I could use a little Florida right about now. Or anywhere it's not cold and snizzling!

Well if this is heading your way, the winds are horrid, so take care on the walk. I know our winds are usually worse than most, but brrrr. Just looking out now and most of the roofs are looking like there's no snow, cause the wind is just whipping it around. The warnings aren't even in effect yet, not for another 6 hours!

Here's the ice we got last night. More of the same due today/tonight THEN several inches of snow on top of it all. Followed by plunging temps and howling winds. Oot mon!

Attachments

• $CIMG6260.JPG
    $CIMG6260.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 48

Forum List

Back