Chicago Set To Get Hit With Record Snow Storm!!!

It was like Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse arrived, the grocery store was insane.

Ramen, Mac and Cheese, milk, eggs, waffles, pancakes, french toast, bacon, pasta, tomato sauce, Tostados, sprite, crunchers, bananas, chunky soup and

the most important case of beer and bottle of Woodford Reserve!

Holy cow, it was craaazy! I forgot to get lunchmeat Sunday and I didn't know about the weather until this morning. I stood in line at the deli for 20 minutes. I high-tailed it out of there after picking up some milk. We could go for weeks here without a grocery run, but . . if we run out of milk for the coffee? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Emergency coffee supplies!

mimimoos.jpg

It was like Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse arrived, the grocery store was insane.

Ramen, Mac and Cheese, milk, eggs, waffles, pancakes, french toast, bacon, pasta, tomato sauce, Tostados, sprite, crunchers, bananas, chunky soup and

Holy cow, it was craaazy! I forgot to get lunchmeat Sunday and I didn't know about the weather until this morning. I stood in line at the deli for 20 minutes. I high-tailed it out of there after picking up some milk. We could go for weeks here without a grocery run, but . . if we run out of milk for the coffee? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Luckily I drink my coffee black. I have emergency coffee stash, 3 bags. ;) Alas, I started the chicken for chicken n' dumplings this morning, realized the box of Bisquick has less than a cup in it. So rather than play around with from scratch, ran to the store and picked some up. Even got cherry pie fixings. My friends for over 25 years and next door neighbors for the last decade or so, are coming for dinner tonight, unless her hubby gets 'stuck' downtown, the hotels are giving $75 rooms and blizzard party tonight. LOL! He's a VP at the Merc, pretty sure he could get home early, but I wouldn't if him. ;)

Here in SW Michigan (about 30 miles from Grand Rapids) the weatherman was just saying this snow now is going to be a "record breaker"...great!!!! We're supposed to get 10-18" and they said probably closer to the 18". It hasn't started doing anything here yet...but i do believe i'll have a day off work tomorrow! :) I just pray we don't loose power....it could get pretty cold!

Well it would be pretty cool to break the '67 record, which I remember very fondly, of course I was a kid so with no school and being able to play in the street, really good times.

As of a few minutes ago, they are still sounding the alarms:

Chicago area readies for blizzard - Chicago Sun-Times

Chicago area readies for blizzard

By Stefano Esposito

Last Modified: Feb 1, 2011 12:03PM

The wait continues.

The snowstorm heading our way later Tuesday showed no signs of veering off into another direction, or even weakening.

The National Weather Service is predicting 12 to 20 inches of snow in and around the city — but the city could see as much as two feet in some places.

Add winds gusting up to 60 miles an hour, thunder, the possibility of 25-foot waves crashing up against the lakefront — and we’re likely in for one heck of a night.

“We potentially could be dealing with a storm of historic proportions,” Mayor Daley’s chief of staff, Raymond Orozco, said of the blizzard, which is expected to hit the area late Tuesday afternoon.

Some 1,200 flights had been cancelled by late morning at O’Hare and Midway airports in anticipation of the coming storm, which could bring white-out conditions...

A blizzard watch is in effect from Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday afternoon in several counties, including Cook, Kane, DuPage, Lake, McHenry and DeKalb in Illinois; and Porter, Lake, Newton, Jasper and Benton in Indiana, the National Weather Service said.

Snow is forecast to hit the area in two waves, with the first lasting from late Tuesday afternoon into early evening, and a second intense wave coming later in the evening into the overnight hours, according to an updated forecast from the National Weather Service. Accumulating lake effect snow will continue in northeast Illinois Wednesday morning before spreading to northwest Indiana by the afternoon...

Well the first wave got started while I was chipping away at the ice on my driveway. Right now I'm looking out of my upstairs window to snow falling from east to west and upside and downside. Sort of reminds me of the rain in Forrest Gump. I can't believe the weather folks are calling this right! It started about 2:10 where I'm at.

We'll see how it measures up to '67:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bINwf7eMLns&feature=player_embedded[/ame]​

One difference I notice already, these aren't giant, heavy flakes, nope. These are small flakes, being blown every which way, mostly from the east. Temps are going to drop. The '67 storm was warm, 2 days before had been in the 60's. The 2 days of storms were close to freezing, I think it was Sunday before fell into the teens.

This is more like the Donner Party if it holds.

One difference I notice already, these aren't giant, heavy flakes, nope. These are small flakes, being blown every which way, mostly from the east. Temps are going to drop. The '67 storm was warm, 2 days before had been in the 60's. The 2 days of storms were close to freezing, I think it was Sunday before fell into the teens.

This is more like the Donner Party if it holds.

Stay warm annie

Just checked our radar again, we've been having calm, cold conditions and just "showers" of mixed sleet, snow and freezing yuck on and off all day. Looks like the main storm is still several hours away. It's messy on the roads, but nothing out of the ordinary. Wait till tonight and tomorrow....

Just checked our radar again, we've been having calm, cold conditions and just "showers" of mixed sleet, snow and freezing yuck on and off all day. Looks like the main storm is still several hours away. It's messy on the roads, but nothing out of the ordinary. Wait till tonight and tomorrow....

I was out shoveling around 2:15, it's 3:17 now. There is more than 4" on my walk. Problem is it's blowing all over the place. The entrance of my house is sort of like a terrace, 3 sides protected, so there's like a vortex being created. Mini-tornado. :eek:

Worse is the driveway, can't tell I ever shoveled. I'm not as worried about that, the association will plow that when the snow stops.

Out the back way, patio through sliding doors? Only if I have to, it's already beyond the step and about 2" beyond the glass. No way has that much snow fallen this quickly, it's the wind. We're going to see fearsome drifts.

Worst winter snowstorms in decades only proves Global Warming aka Climate Change.

Didnt you know that????????????

I came home today and the guys who got snowblowers for Christmas cleaned up the whole neighborhood. Nice, huh?

It's the same here as it is in Goldie's town. I'm not going in to work if it gets much worse. Cold now, blowing and drifting snow. Is everyone ok?

Emergency coffee supplies!

mimimoos.jpg

Coffee sounds wonderful right now. :)

I came home today and the guys who got snowblowers for Christmas cleaned up the whole neighborhood. Nice, huh?

It's the same here as it is in Goldie's town. I'm not going in to work if it gets much worse. Cold now, blowing and drifting snow. Is everyone ok?

Everyone here is fine. The kiddos are bored. :lol:

But I can't seem to get numbers on what's coming, and that kind of bugs me. All anybody is saying is "potentially damaging" ice and the winds will "increase", that we should prepare for "severe" winter weather conditions but I've never seen a forecast with no numbers, on any of the usual sources.

I'm not sure if that means we could possibly, maybe get lucky....or if they're just afraid to tell us. :eek:

This was our "recent" blizzard in Ohio.

1978 Ohio Statewide Blizzard

Home » History » Events » 1978 Ohio Statewide Blizzard
In January and February 1978, a series of three storms hit the United States Midwest or the Northeast. These storms were some of the most severe winter events to occur in recent history, and collectively are known as the Blizzard of 1978.

The first storm avoided Ohio, targeting the Northeast. From January 19 to 21, twenty-one inches of snow fell in parts of the region. This was a forty-eight-hour record for snowfall.

The second storm found Ohio in its path. From January 25 to 27, between one and three feet of snow fell in Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Winds averaged between fifty and seventy miles per hour, creating snowdrifts as deep as twenty-five feet. With temperatures already hovering near zero, the wind chill was deadly, reaching sixty degrees Fahrenheit below zero. Thousands of people were stranded in their cars and in their homes. For the first time in its history, the entire Ohio Turnpike closed due to the blizzard's severity. One semi-truck driver was buried inside of his truck by a snowdrift. Rescuers did not discover him for almost one week. Thousands of homes and businesses lost electricity. As the storm moved eastward, warmer temperatures converted the snow to ice, paralyzing the Northeast. Over seventy people died in this storm; fifty-one of the victims were in Ohio.

1978 Ohio Statewide Blizzard - Ohio History Central - A product of the Ohio Historical Society

Everyone here is fine. The kiddos are bored. :lol:

But I can't seem to get numbers on what's coming, and that kind of bugs me. All anybody is saying is "potentially damaging" ice and the winds will "increase", that we should prepare for "severe" winter weather conditions but I've never seen a forecast with no numbers, on any of the usual sources.

I'm not sure if that means we could possibly, maybe get lucky....or if they're just afraid to tell us. :eek:

Oh I hope they're overreacting. Sometimes storms can be fun but I have too much to do at work. My bf has 8a-8p shifts today and tomorrow.

Shit..

I was out shoveling around 2:15, it's 3:17 now. There is more than 4" on my walk. Problem is it's blowing all over the place. The entrance of my house is sort of like a terrace, 3 sides protected, so there's like a vortex being created. Mini-tornado. :eek:

Worse is the driveway, can't tell I ever shoveled. I'm not as worried about that, the association will plow that when the snow stops.

Out the back way, patio through sliding doors? Only if I have to, it's already beyond the step and about 2" beyond the glass. No way has that much snow fallen this quickly, it's the wind. We're going to see fearsome drifts.

Those drifts can be a killer. I remember the last really big storm I was here for, the nor'easter in '96. We only got about 2 1/2 feet of snow but the drifts were so bad I literally had to dig around and look for my car. I couldn't even see the radio antenna!

Those drifts can be a killer. I remember the last really big storm I was here for, the nor'easter in '96. We only got about 2 1/2 feet of snow but the drifts were so bad I literally had to dig around and look for my car. I couldn't even see the radio antenna!

With this wind, it will be all about the drifts. Right now my front walkway has more than a foot, I'm certain that's not fallen snow, but blown. It's a courtyard, 3 sides protected. The driveway is ebbing and flowing, looks right now from inside about 4". But it will be blown hither and yon. It's getting harder to see my neighbor's roof, darkness and snow. But right now i can still see shingles. We've had more than 5" of snow, but the wind is keeping the roofs 'clear".

Down here (Bama) its all rain.

And tonight we are expecting tornadoes and severe thunderstorms.

If the rain here is an indication of the amount of moisture you guys have up there, you're in for it!

Stay safe and warm!!!!

Forum List

Back