Change baseball

I was out at a local watering hole the other night with my lovely wife and of course there was a baseball game on the TVs in the bar.

Now most of you know that I don't waste my time watching pampered overpaid athletes on the idiot box but I couldn't escape it.

As I watched some of the game I realized that baseball has got to be the most boring game on the planet.

I watched as the pitcher took about 5 minutes to throw the ball. The hitter swung, missed then had to walk around for a few minutes, fix his gloves, tap his shoes with the bat then take a few swings all just to wait a few more minutes for the pitcher to throw another ball.

It was agonizing.

IMO Baseball should be put on a clock like any other team sport. Now I realize that the entire game can't be subject to a time limit but there should be a pitch clock similar to the play clock in football or the shot clock in basketball.

At least then the game would move along at something more than a snail's pace.

Only a true baseball fan can understand and appreciate everything that goes on during a game. The time spent between pitches has a lot to do with the pitcher and catcher thinking about what pitch to throw next, and the batter thinking about what pitch might be coming next.

simple solution: people that don't like baseball shouldn't watch baseball...

As I said in the OP the game was on every TV in the bar so it was kind of hard to avoid.

The TRUE spirit of Baseball...has never been the same since - and never will be again.

Harry Caray - Obit CNN - YouTube

That is myopic of you. Lots of people grew up loving the spirit of baseball and never cared about Harry Carry one way or the other. Ralph Kiner, Lindsay Nelson and Bob Murphy were the voices of baseball for me.

Um...I am referring to the SPIRIT of baseball.
Maybe there are a few still out there...but I don't know of any announcers like the ones back in the 70's and 80's...including Harry.

I love listening to MLB on the radio...

a good announcer can paint a picture that makes the entire game come alive in your mind...

up until a few years ago, we had that with broadcasts of the Astros games...

unfortunately, the local radio stations no longer carry MLB games...

gotta go to MLB.com and pay to be able to listen to games on your computer...

not the same as listening to a radio station in the car or in the workshop...

Only a true baseball fan can understand and appreciate everything that goes on during a game. The time spent between pitches has a lot to do with the pitcher and catcher thinking about what pitch to throw next, and the batter thinking about what pitch might be coming next.

As I said in the OP the game was on every TV in the bar so it was kind of hard to avoid.

One of the hardest things to do in all of sports is to hit a round baseball with a round bat of equal diameter, coming in at 95mph. It may be THE hardest, possibly only rivaled by scoring a goal on an NHL goaltender.

Any idiot can bounce a ball down a court and throw it into a hoop, and any idiot can throw a big brown ball in the air, catch it, or just simply run with it in their hands.

At least with baseball it's an exclusive skill set.

Amendment #1: people that don't like baseball shouldn't go to bars that have only baseball on the TV...

Amendment #2: guys should occasionally ask their wives for advice about where to go for the evening...

Amendment #1: people that don't like baseball shouldn't go to bars that have only baseball on the TV...

Amendment #2: guys should occasionally ask their wives for advice about where to go for the evening...

So don't ever go to a bar during baseball season and my wife enjoys going to a pub for a drink. She's not some high maintenance chick

One of the hardest things to do in all of sports is to hit a round baseball with a round bat of equal diameter, coming in at 95mph. It may be THE hardest, possibly only rivaled by scoring a goal on an NHL goaltender.

Any idiot can bounce a ball down a court and throw it into a hoop, and any idiot can throw a big brown ball in the air, catch it, or just simply run with it in their hands.

Just because hitting a ball with a stick is not easy does not mean watching people hit a ball with a stick is any less boring.

Just because hitting a ball with a stick is not easy does not mean watching people hit a ball with a stick is any less boring.

Well there's just no pleasing you on this I guess. You don't even like organized sports to begin with. They're all overpaid crybabies, right? So no amount of changes are really going to make much of a difference to you.

So don't ever go to a bar during baseball season and my wife enjoys going to a pub for a drink. She's not some high maintenance chick

so the bars in your town have never heard of NBA, NHL, NASCAR... or, for that matter, MLS...?

Last edited:
Hand to hand combat is the quintessential struggle.

And you don't like football?

???

Pads, helmets, you can't hit the quarterback, football is a poor imitation of combat.

Hand to hand combat is the ultimate contest.

BTW I never said I didn't like playing football. I said I don't like watching sports on the idiot box.

You cannot see what happens on the line and not recognize hand to hand combat. If you played football as you claim, you must know that pads are as much a weapon as a protection. Look at what we are discovering about the real extent of brain damage in former pro players.

And you say you don't like watching sports on that evil, magic TV machine, but unless you do a lot of traveling you must be watching MMA on some electronic device.

The TRUE spirit of Baseball...has never been the same since - and never will be again.

Harry Caray - Obit CNN - YouTube

That is myopic of you. Lots of people grew up loving the spirit of baseball and never cared about Harry Carry one way or the other. Ralph Kiner, Lindsay Nelson and Bob Murphy were the voices of baseball for me.

Maybe there are a few still out there...but I don't know of any announcers like the ones back in the 70's and 80's...including Harry.

Jerry Remy.

I was out at a local watering hole the other night with my lovely wife and of course there was a baseball game on the TVs in the bar.

Now most of you know that I don't waste my time watching pampered overpaid athletes on the idiot box but I couldn't escape it.

As I watched some of the game I realized that baseball has got to be the most boring game on the planet.

I watched as the pitcher took about 5 minutes to throw the ball. The hitter swung, missed then had to walk around for a few minutes, fix his gloves, tap his shoes with the bat then take a few swings all just to wait a few more minutes for the pitcher to throw another ball.

It was agonizing.

IMO Baseball should be put on a clock like any other team sport. Now I realize that the entire game can't be subject to a time limit but there should be a pitch clock similar to the play clock in football or the shot clock in basketball.

At least then the game would move along at something more than a snail's pace.

Obvious, one would think.

Can you, idiot?

Average MLB game - league average was 2 hours and 51 seconds, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Average NFL game - 3 hours, 6 minutes and 58 seconds, says league spokesman Dan Masonson.

11 Minutes of Action

According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.

Major League baseball - America's pastime explained in 32 seconds...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4saN4fpu3t4]MLB Generations commercial - feat. The Daylights - YouTube[/ame]

I love listening to MLB on the radio...

a good announcer can paint a picture that makes the entire game come alive in your mind...

up until a few years ago, we had that with broadcasts of the Astros games...

unfortunately, the local radio stations no longer carry MLB games...

gotta go to MLB.com and pay to be able to listen to games on your computer...

not the same as listening to a radio station in the car or in the workshop...

Sirius/Xm Radio

Major League Baseball - SiriusXM Radio

Every MLB game.

You can often choose between the Home and Away local commentators or the national feed.

Last edited:
Average MLB game - league average was 2 hours and 51 seconds, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Average NFL game - 3 hours, 6 minutes and 58 seconds, says league spokesman Dan Masonson.

11 Minutes of Action

According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.

MLB Generations commercial - feat. The Daylights - YouTube

Then again, an NFL game packs in about 2 hours and 15 minutes of excitement in those 3 hours while a MLB game contains about twenty minutes of excitement in those same 3 hours.

Immie

11 Minutes of Action

MLB Generations commercial - feat. The Daylights - YouTube

Then again, an NFL game packs in about 2 hours and 15 minutes of excitement in those 3 hours while a MLB game contains about twenty minutes of excitement in those same 3 hours.

Immie

What 'excites' you Immie? Is it the commercials? Maybe it's seeing overweight men squat?

What is up with this football vs baseball nonsense? Can't we all just agree that soccer blows and leave it at that?

What is up with this football vs baseball nonsense? Can't we all just agree that soccer blows and leave it at that?

I love football, but I also love baseball. Maybe if you review the ignorance spewed by the op in his posts, it would make more sense.

Forum List

Back