Censorship, American-Style

What do you do with a degree in "black studies"? Teach black people how to be black?
unsure.gif

How is such a degree applicable to the real world and getting a job?

And should you rely solely on it to put bread on the table? :eusa_shhh:

I will ask the question again:

How much of the five thesis did she read to make her determination?

"Scores of critics on the site complained that I had not read the dissertations in full before daring to write about them—an absurd standard for a 500-word blog post. A number of the dissertations aren't even available. Which didn't seem to stop the Chronicle reporter, though."
Naomi Schaefer Riley: The Academic Mob Rules - WSJ.com

The point is there is a double standard for liberal and conservatives, if there is something said by a conservative that offends someone there is an effort by the liberal fascist and organizations to silence them, to destroy them, as with the recent case with Rush Limbaugh. Conservative don't want to silence liberals. The liberal fascist want to control speech, which is why they push the So-called fairness doctrine.

Don Imus got fired, Howard Stern got fired, Keith Olberman got fired, Ed Schultz was suspended

Cuts both ways. Say offensive things and your boss has to decide whether to keep you around

Do you feel it is honest to categorize academic critique as " Saying offensive things ..."

And you say MY education was wasted?????

Is that you humming "Deutschland über alles"??
Now, if you can get that goosestep going.....

It's a trade magazine. If they have an agenda, they have an agenda.

I'm sure that if Guns and Ammo had a writer on the staff that started posting articles on their website viciously ridiculing people who were strong advocates for gun rights,

that person's job might be in jeopardy.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Don Imus got fired, Howard Stern got fired, Keith Olberman got fired, Ed Schultz was suspended

Cuts both ways. Say offensive things and your boss has to decide whether to keep you around

Do you free it is honest to categorize academic critique as " Saying offensive things ..."

It was not academic critique. She was not doing it for a grade, she was getting paid for it. Once you accept payment, you are at the mercy of your boss

Didn't they teach that in grad school?

"Recently, the Chronicle of Higher Education published a cover story called "Black Studies: 'Swaggering Into the Future,'" in which the reporter described how "young black-studies scholars . . . are less consumed than their predecessors with the need to validate the field or explain why they are pursuing doctorates in their discipline." The "5 Up-and-Coming Ph.D. Candidates" described in the piece's sidebar "are rewriting the history of race." While the article suggested some are skeptical of black studies as a discipline, the reporter neglected to quote anyone who is.

Like me. So last week, on the Chronicle's "Brainstorm" blog (where I was paid to be a regular contributor), I suggested that the dissertation topics of the graduate students mentioned were obscure at best and "a collection of left-wing victimization claptrap," at worst."

Had the criticism been of American foreign policy under President Bush, would Ms. Riley still be in her original position?

The answer is yes.

Thus, the the import of the OP is proven.

You may tap dance around that, or attempt any of your feeble aspiration, but the fact is clear.

In your posts, you are the validation of every negative I've posted about Liberals and Liberalism. You are a fraud.

What do you do with a degree in "black studies"? Teach black people how to be black?
unsure.gif

How is such a degree applicable to the real world and getting a job?

Why do people get degrees in English?

I mean, they already speak English

Do you feel it is honest to categorize academic critique as " Saying offensive things ..."

I'm sure that if Guns and Ammo had a writer on the staff that started posting articles on their website viciously ridiculing people who were strong advocates for gun rights,

People of good will will find fault with said 'agenda.'

Your post indicated that 'good will' and yourself remain mutually exclusive.

really? that quick to go to the nazi labels?
You are a sad person. This is why i dont read your shit ever. Your Op is so pathetically weak that at the first sign its going south you have to call someone a nazi. Your OP's are so easy to pick apart, and like Jroc you hate free market capitalism.

Yet you rather blame liberals as the sole reason for these things. Which you know is wrong, but why would that stop a partisan hack conspiracy hack like you?

"This is why i dont read your shit ever."

Did you accidentally fall into this thread?

We have a winner in the category of "Unintentional Humor"!

Do you free it is honest to categorize academic critique as " Saying offensive things ..."

It was not academic critique. She was not doing it for a grade, she was getting paid for it. Once you accept payment, you are at the mercy of your boss

"Recently, the Chronicle of Higher Education published a cover story called "Black Studies: 'Swaggering Into the Future,'" in which the reporter described how "young black-studies scholars . . . are less consumed than their predecessors with the need to validate the field or explain why they are pursuing doctorates in their discipline." The "5 Up-and-Coming Ph.D. Candidates" described in the piece's sidebar "are rewriting the history of race." While the article suggested some are skeptical of black studies as a discipline, the reporter neglected to quote anyone who is.

Like me. So last week, on the Chronicle's "Brainstorm" blog (where I was paid to be a regular contributor), I suggested that the dissertation topics of the graduate students mentioned were obscure at best and "a collection of left-wing victimization claptrap," at worst."

Had the criticism been of American foreign policy under President Bush, would Ms. Riley still be in her original position?

The answer is yes.

You may tap dance around that, or attempt any of your feeble aspiration, but the fact is clear.

In your posts, you are the validation of every negative I've posted about Liberals and Liberalism. You are a fraud.

You mean like the Dixie Chicks?

What they have to teach you in college is that life is not fair. In the real world, unlike academics, you have to pay the piper. You get paid to be published and people don't like what you write....people stop paying you

Cry me a river PC

The answer is yes.

What they have to teach you in college is that life is not fair. In the real world, unlike academics, you have to pay the piper. You get paid to be published and people don't like what you write....people stop paying you

Cry me a river PC

You seem overly concerned with my college education....

....did you miss having one?

The answer is yes.

Cry me a river PC

What did it take to roam a sewer?

I see the leftist extremists are busily justifying the one-sided stupidity of academia.

People of good will will find fault with said 'agenda.'

Your post indicated that 'good will' and yourself remain mutually exclusive.

Your non-answer proves that you can't refute what I said on the facts or merits.

If people of good will find fault with the Guns and Ammo agenda, does that mean they should defend the firing of an employee writer who attacks that agenda?

I see the leftist extremists are busily justifying the one-sided stupidity of academia.

This is not about 'academia'. It's about the right of free speech and whether it trumps the right of a commerical business enterprise to require employees to check their free speech at the door when they are doing WORK for PAY.

When that airline said that a Muslim flight attendant shouldn't be allowed to wear her head scarf,

because it wasn't part of the uniform,

anyone remember the conservative consensus on that one?

I do.

Anyone see the relevance of the analogy?

I do.

"Scores of critics on the site complained that I had not read the dissertations in full before daring to write about them—an absurd standard for a 500-word blog post. A number of the dissertations aren't even available. Which didn't seem to stop the Chronicle reporter, though."

She also said:

"Finally, since this is a blog about academia and not journalism, I'll forgive the commenters for not understanding that it is not my job to read entire dissertations before I write a 500-word piece about them. I read some academic publications (as they relate to other research I do), but there are not enough hours in the day or money in the world to get me to read a dissertation on historical black midwifery. In fact, I'd venture to say that fewer than 20 people in the whole world will read it. And the same holds true for the others that are mentioned in the piece."

So she wants to end abolish black studies based on summaries of 5 dissertations, without studying the discipline? Which I'm sure someone could argue after reading 5 Phd dissertation summaries on English or Anthropology. "Isn't calling for the abolition of those departments based on the dissertations, and then bragging that you haven't read any of them, journalistic malpractice?"

Ta-Nehisi Coates - Authors - The Atlantic

The answer is yes.

Cry me a river PC

All I know is what I learned in the sewer sweetheart...

It is still enough to see through the academic weakness of your posts.

She also said:

"Finally, since this is a blog about academia and not journalism, I'll forgive the commenters for not understanding that it is not my job to read entire dissertations before I write a 500-word piece about them. I read some academic publications (as they relate to other research I do), but there are not enough hours in the day or money in the world to get me to read a dissertation on historical black midwifery. In fact, I'd venture to say that fewer than 20 people in the whole world will read it. And the same holds true for the others that are mentioned in the piece."

So she wants to end abolish black studies based on summaries of 5 dissertations, without studying the discipline? Which I'm sure someone could argue after reading 5 Phd dissertation summaries on English or Anthropology. "Isn't calling for the abolition of those departments based on the dissertations, and then bragging that you haven't read any of them, journalistic malpractice?"

Ta-Nehisi Coates - Authors - The Atlantic

So she admits she never even read them before attacking their academic merits. Typical sound bite Republicanism

Forum List

Back