Censorship, American-Style

Earlier this week, the Chronicle of Higher Education, the trade paper for faculty members and administrators in universities, fired Naomi Schaefer Riley, a paid blogger for its website. Her crime? She had the courage to respond to a Chronicle story called “Black Studies: ‘Swaggering Into the Future,’” which stated that “young black-studies scholars . . . are less consumed than their predecessors with the need to validate the field or explain why they are pursuing doctorates in their discipline.”

How did I know this is what you were going to be whining about.

Sorry, I think it's hilarious you Young Conservatards think it's perfectly okay to fire hundreds of working people so a rich douchebag can make a profit, but you make a bunch of offensive statements and get shown the door, and she's a martyr to you people.

Let's see what impels Erroneous Joe this day.

1. Ignorant of so very many things, I'm going to guess that EJ is familiar with business expert, Peter Drucker.

Peter Drucker's career as a business thinker took off in 1942, when his initial writings on politics and society won him access to the internal workings of General Motors (GM), one of the largest companies in the world at that time. His experiences in Europe had left him fascinated with the problem of authority. He shared his fascination with Donaldson Brown, the mastermind behind the administrative controls at GM. In 1943 Brown invited him in to conduct what might be called a "political audit": a two-year social-scientific analysis of the corporation. Drucker attended every board meeting, interviewed employees, and analyzed production and decision-making processes.
Peter Drucker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Executives owe it to the organization and to their fellow workers not to tolerate nonperforming individuals in important jobs."
Peter Drucker Quotes - BrainyQuote

2. Why, then, would Erroneous write "fire hundreds of working people so a rich douchebag can make a profit,..."

While it is tempting to leap to the conclusion that Joe is simply dumber than a box of rocks, anyone familiar with his usual rants and pretense that he is actually a Republican, would begin to suspect that our Joe is actually an agent provocateur, who sees his function as that of getting the empty suit in the White House re-elected....

Dishonest, disingenuous, in short, a typical Leftist.

Ah this old tale of free speech and censorship. Once again PC doesn't really get the situation.
See its not a matter of free speech. Very rarely do you come across people who want to ban words. Like of say sarah palin who wants to ban the retarded,but that wont be mentioned in the op as actual censorship.
see for the most part say what you want,but don't complain when actions are taken against you.
You don't actually have free speech with private companies.

The left might defend people but they don't sit there and say not to boycott. Of course both sides play the same card when these things happen,but hey we wont mention that either.

Sad really that such a simple topic can turn into poo by a moron with a keyboard.

Just when it seems that your posts can't possibly get any dumber...you amaze me, and reach...no, attain a new, and deeper nadir!

Has Guinness contacted you yet?

Last edited:

How did I know this is what you were going to be whining about.

Sorry, I think it's hilarious you Young Conservatards think it's perfectly okay to fire hundreds of working people so a rich douchebag can make a profit, but you make a bunch of offensive statements and get shown the door, and she's a martyr to you people.

A file of your insane posts would be so thick one could stand on it to change a lightbulb.
And yours would reach the moon.

Didn't you want to use "....oh, yeah..so are you!"
Would have been even more brilliant!

Ah this old tale of free speech and censorship. Once again PC doesn't really get the situation.
See its not a matter of free speech. Very rarely do you come across people who want to ban words. Like of say sarah palin who wants to ban the retarded,but that wont be mentioned in the op as actual censorship.
see for the most part say what you want,but don't complain when actions are taken against you.
You don't actually have free speech with private companies.

The left might defend people but they don't sit there and say not to boycott. Of course both sides play the same card when these things happen,but hey we wont mention that either.

Sad really that such a simple topic can turn into poo by a moron with a keyboard.

Just when it seems that your posts can't possibly get any dumber...you amaze me, and reach...no, attain a new a and greater nadir!

Has Guinness contacted you yet?

Once again you duck the key rebuttal to your OP......Censorship by private entities.

Are you proposing that private newspapers should not be allowed to censor their own content?

Now, torte, why continue to pretend that there is not a censorship alive and well among the Liberal establishment?

Just the "Liberal establishment"?

Only a damned fool would think the UnConservatives don't shut down anyone who does not speak the party line.

Both sides think their shit doesn't stink, but nothing could be further from the truth. The stench of their puerile rhetoric reaches to the skies.

1. So, inadvertently, you are subscribing to the view of the OP....
Good start.

2. I note that you neglected to provide any examples of conservatives censoring opposition....
Could there be a reason for this omission?

3. Try to clean up your language a bit.

So, there was a thread about censorship, and arrests over anti-Semitic comments in Enland….and I pointed out that there exists a kind of censorship in this country with respect to certain protected groups….

…and it seems that I discomforted one of our pretend-law experts…who said:

“No, no reason for you to further exhibit your ignorance.

There are no statutes in the United States prohibiting the use of any word or term. You’re free to demonstrate your hatred of other races and religions with impunity.”

Interesting obfuscation,....

So…I thought it was worth examining....
...and found this:

1. “Earlier this week, the Chronicle of Higher Education, the trade paper for faculty members and administrators in universities, fired Naomi Schaefer Riley, a paid blogger for its website. Her crime? She had the courage to respond to a Chronicle story called “Black Studies: ‘Swaggering Into the Future,’” which stated that “young black-studies scholars . . . are less consumed than their predecessors with the need to validate the field or explain why they are pursuing doctorates in their discipline.”

2. The article used five Ph.D. candidates as examples of those “rewriting the history of race.” Riley looked at the subject areas of the five proposed dissertations and concluded that they were “obscure at best . . . a collection of left-wing victimization claptrap at worst.”

a. It seems that her crime was that she dared argue that black studies departments should be eliminated, citing the silliness of a number of the dissertations by some of the disciplines most lauded students.

b. Riley tore apart another essay that blamed the subprime housing crash on a conspirascy by white politicians, noting that ‘those millions of white people who went into foreclosure were just collateral damage, I guess.”

3. Many academics I know agree that black-studies programs are often slipshod, academically non-rigorous, and repositories for “grievance” politics. But they won’t say so publicly, for fear of being branded as “racists.” Naomi Riley had the courage to state the obvious.

4. When 6,500 politically correct academics signed a petition demanding that she be fired, the editor of the Chronicle caved.

5. A couple of speakers noted how surprising it is that political correctness in academia is now shutting off debate in the U.S., the country where academics supposedly prize vigorous discussion and vigilantly guard against any sign of McCarthyism.

6. Nick Cohen is an atheist and former leftist who writes for the Observer and Guardiannewspapers in Britain… examines the new forms of censorship that are emerging in the 21st century….surrounding taboo subjects with a bodyguard of politically correct humbug has a profound effect on liberalism. He noted that “censorship is at its most effective when no one admits that it exists.

7. While Cohen’s warning was directed at those who stifle debate on Muslim radicalism in Europe and refuse to recognize the failure of officially imposed multiculturalism, he lost no time in telling me how appalled he was at the news of Riley’s firing. “These people calling for her head are the same ones who would scream McCarthyism if someone demanded that academics who defend Iran, excuse terrorism, or accept support from dubious Middle East regimes be called to account,”…

a. James Kirchick, a contributing editor to The New Republic :“This is precisely why I am no longer on the left. It is disturbing to see such bullying.”

b. …academics have demanded tenure, ostensibly not to secure the effectively lifetime employment it creates but to give them the freedom to voice unpopular opinions and conduct research that challenges conventional thinking.

8. Few, if any, of her critics actually tried to refute her criticisms of black-studies dissertations. Instead, they sought to shut her up, and in so doing, they sent yet another message that some liberals today have become at least as intolerant of debate as any of the fundamentalists and traditionalists they abhor.

9. After Riley’s firing, I have no doubt there will be fewer people brave enough to challenge that censorship
Censoring Naomi Riley - John Fund - National Review Online

It seems that John Fund made my point for me….

She was a paid employee.

Anybody remember Dr Laura? 30yrs and driven form the airways because some people were offended.

Dr. Laura Schlessinger apologizes after using racial epithet

Longtime talk show host Dr. Laura Schlessinger has posted an apology to her website after a conversation with a caller on Tuesday where she said in the N-word several times. “I articulated the N-word all the way out—more than one time,” Schlessinger said in the apology, which opened her show Wednesday morning. “And that was wrong. I’ll say it again—that was wrong.” Schlessinger claimed she was trying to make a philosophical point and lost her way. She continued in her apology: “I ended up, I’m sure, with many of you losing the point I was trying to make, because you were shocked by the fact that I said the word. I, myself, realized I had made a horrible mistake, and was so upset I could not finish the show. I pulled myself off the air at the end of the hour. I had to finish the hour, because 20 minutes of dead air doesn’t work. I am very sorry. And it just won’t happen again.”

On Tuesday’s show, Schlessinger repeated the N-word several times after a caller, identified as Jade, asked if the word was offensive. “Black guys say it all the time,” Schlessinger, who never directed the word at the caller, said. When the woman objected, Schlessinger commented: “Oh, then I guess you don’t watch HBO or listen to any black comedians.”

Dr. Laura Schlessinger apologizes after using racial epithet | News Briefs | EW.com

Yes, that was absolutely awesome when that homophobic prude phony got fired from her job!

Although frankly, she should have been fired a lot earlier than this nonsense.

actually, she had been in decline for a long time before this. I didn't even know she was still on the air anywhere.

The point is there is a double standard for liberal and conservatives, if there is something said by a conservative that offends someone there is an effort by the liberal fascist and organizations to silence them, to destroy them, as with the recent case with Rush Limbaugh. Conservative don't want to silence liberals. The liberal fascist want to control speech, which is why they push the So-called fairness doctrine.

Anybody remember Dr Laura? 30yrs and driven form the airways because some people were offended.

Dr. Laura Schlessinger apologizes after using racial epithet | News Briefs | EW.com

Yes, that was absolutely awesome when that homophobic prude phony got fired from her job!

actually, she had been in decline for a long time before this. I didn't even know she was still on the air anywhere.

The point is there is a double standard for liberal and conservatives, if there is something said by a conservative that offends someone there is an effort by the liberal fascist and organizations to silence them, to destroy them, as with the recent case with Rush Limbaugh. Conservative don't want to silence liberals. The liberal fascist want to control speech, which is why they push the So-called fairness doctrine.

Don Imus got fired, Howard Stern got fired, Keith Olberman got fired, Ed Schultz was suspended

Cuts both ways. Say offensive things and your boss has to decide whether to keep you around

Don Imus got fired, Howard Stern got fired, Keith Olberman got fired, Ed Schultz was suspended

Cuts both ways. Say offensive things and your boss has to decide whether to keep you around

Do you feel it is honest to categorize academic critique as " Saying offensive things ..."

And you say MY education was wasted?????

Is that you humming "Deutschland über alles"??
Now, if you can get that goosestep going.....

Last edited:
I will ask the question again:

How much of the five thesis did she read to make her determination?

Firing someone from a job for using language not in accordance with the workplace is not evidence of a statute in the United States prohibiting the use of any word or term. If you cuss up a blue streak at some jobs, you can be fired. If you make sexually suggestive comments to your co-workers, you can be fired. If a bloviator calls a woman with a sense of entitlement a slut on the air, he can lose sponsors.

That does not mean free speech is against the law or that censorship exists in America. You are free to demonstrate your bigotry or hatred, but if you are stupid enough to do it at work and lose your job, don't double down on your idiocy and say that is censorship in America...

"Firing someone from a job for using language..."

Assuming that your post is in any way related to the OP....

....would you be good enough to cite the "language" for which Ms. Riley was fired?

If you are not able, you would, it seems, be self-identified as one who hides bad behavior by pretending to misunderstand....as torte tried to do.

The "language" you refer to?

Hey, genius. Riley was not let go for “Black Studies: ‘Swaggering Into the Future'".

She was let go for The Most Persuasive Case for Eliminating Black Studies? Just Read the Dissertations.

Your puppet masters got it wrong.

A Note to Readers - Brainstorm - The Chronicle of Higher Education

When we published Naomi Schaefer Riley’s blog posting on Brainstorm last week (“The Most Persuasive Case for Eliminating Black Studies? Just Read the Dissertations”), several thousand of you spoke out in outrage and disappointment that The Chronicle had published an article that did not conform to the journalistic standards and civil tone that you expect from us.

We’ve heard you, and we have taken to heart what you said.

We now agree that Ms. Riley’s blog posting did not meet The Chronicle’s basic editorial standards for reporting and fairness in opinion articles. As a result, we have asked Ms. Riley to leave the Brainstorm blog.

Open your eyes.

She was fired for criticizing a protected group.

'NC teacher captured on video suggesting student could be arrested for Obama criticism'
NC teacher captured on video suggesting student could be arrested for Obama criticism | Fox News

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjpWaESn_9g&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Teacher yells at student because of a question he asked about Obama! - YouTube[/ame]

Just for clarification....are you oblivious, or dishonest?
Which is it?

So, there was a thread about censorship, and arrests over anti-Semitic comments in Enland….and I pointed out that there exists a kind of censorship in this country with respect to certain protected groups….

There are no statutes in the United States prohibiting the use of any word or term. You’re free to demonstrate your hatred of other races and religions with impunity.”

...and found this:

1. “Earlier this week, the Chronicle of Higher Education, the trade paper for faculty members and administrators in universities, fired Naomi Schaefer Riley, a paid blogger for its website. Her crime? She had the courage to respond to a Chronicle story called “Black Studies: ‘Swaggering Into the Future,’” which stated that “young black-studies scholars . . . are less consumed than their predecessors with the need to validate the field or explain why they are pursuing doctorates in their discipline.”

2. The article used five Ph.D. candidates as examples of those “rewriting the history of race.” Riley looked at the subject areas of the five proposed dissertations and concluded that they were “obscure at best . . . a collection of left-wing victimization claptrap at worst.”

a. It seems that her crime was that she dared argue that black studies departments should be eliminated, citing the silliness of a number of the dissertations by some of the disciplines most lauded students.

b. Riley tore apart another essay that blamed the subprime housing crash on a conspirascy by white politicians, noting that ‘those millions of white people who went into foreclosure were just collateral damage, I guess.”

3. Many academics I know agree that black-studies programs are often slipshod, academically non-rigorous, and repositories for “grievance” politics. But they won’t say so publicly, for fear of being branded as “racists.” Naomi Riley had the courage to state the obvious.

4. When 6,500 politically correct academics signed a petition demanding that she be fired, the editor of the Chronicle caved.

5. A couple of speakers noted how surprising it is that political correctness in academia is now shutting off debate in the U.S., the country where academics supposedly prize vigorous discussion and vigilantly guard against any sign of McCarthyism.

6. Nick Cohen is an atheist and former leftist who writes for the Observer and Guardiannewspapers in Britain… examines the new forms of censorship that are emerging in the 21st century….surrounding taboo subjects with a bodyguard of politically correct humbug has a profound effect on liberalism. He noted that “censorship is at its most effective when no one admits that it exists.

7. While Cohen’s warning was directed at those who stifle debate on Muslim radicalism in Europe and refuse to recognize the failure of officially imposed multiculturalism, he lost no time in telling me how appalled he was at the news of Riley’s firing. “These people calling for her head are the same ones who would scream McCarthyism if someone demanded that academics who defend Iran, excuse terrorism, or accept support from dubious Middle East regimes be called to account,”…

a. James Kirchick, a contributing editor to The New Republic :“This is precisely why I am no longer on the left. It is disturbing to see such bullying.”

b. …academics have demanded tenure, ostensibly not to secure the effectively lifetime employment it creates but to give them the freedom to voice unpopular opinions and conduct research that challenges conventional thinking.

8. Few, if any, of her critics actually tried to refute her criticisms of black-studies dissertations. Instead, they sought to shut her up, and in so doing, they sent yet another message that some liberals today have become at least as intolerant of debate as any of the fundamentalists and traditionalists they abhor.

9. After Riley’s firing, I have no doubt there will be fewer people brave enough to challenge that censorship

then you and john fund are both morons.

there's no freedom from consequences, asshat.

Do you free it is honest to categorize academic critique as " Saying offensive things ..."

And you say MY education was wasted?????

Is that you humming "Deutschland über alles"??
Now, if you can get that goosestep going.....

It was not academic critique. She was not doing it for a grade, she was getting paid for it. Once you accept payment, you are at the mercy of your boss

Didn't they teach that in grad school?

Earlier this week, the Chronicle of Higher Education, the trade paper for faculty members and administrators in universities, fired Naomi Schaefer Riley, a paid blogger for its website.

Apples and oranges, ya know.

Her crime?

Please cite the Federal (or state) statute relevant to your example that is comparable to the law in Britain which resulted in those arrests. TIA

"Please cite the Please cite the Federal (or state) statute relevant to your example relevant to your example..."

Why?

Please cite the mentions Federal (or state) statute in the OP....

Waiting.....

Or mention of British law in the OP....

Waiting....

Some folks will do anything to pretend that Liberalism isn't about the restraint of free thought....as in the Obama administration asking that any criticism of ObamaCare be reported to the White House.

"If private citizens have disagreements, discussions, and dissections of ObamaCare, the proposed take over of the health care industry, whether its communicated through e-mail, websites, blogs, or even casual conversation the Obama administration has asked that these people be reported to the executive branch of the federal government."
Welcome to Gestapo-care - Kevin McCullough - Townhall Conservative Columnists - Page 1

Need anything special cited here, you dunce.

How about this:

"That's what Obama supporters, alerted by campaign emails, did when conservative Stanley Kurtz appeared on Milt Rosenberg's WGN radio program in Chicago. Kurtz had been researching Obama's relationship with unrepentant Weather Underground terrorist William Ayers in Chicago Annenberg Challenge papers in the Richard J. Daley Library in Chicago -- papers that were closed off to him for some days, apparently at the behest of Obama supporters.

Obama fans jammed WGN's phone lines and sent in hundreds of protest emails. The message was clear to anyone who would follow Rosenberg's example. We will make trouble for you if you let anyone make the case against The One.

Other Obama supporters have threatened critics with criminal prosecution. In September, St. Louis County Circuit Attorney Bob McCulloch and St. Louis City Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce warned citizens that they would bring criminal libel prosecutions against anyone who made statements against Obama that were "false." I had been under the impression that the Alien and Sedition Acts had gone out of existence in 1801-02. Not so, apparently, in metropolitan St. Louis. Similarly, the Obama campaign called for a criminal investigation of the American Issues Project when it ran ads highlighting Obama's ties to Ayers.

These attempts to shut down political speech have become routine for liberals."
RealClearPolitics - Articles - Obama vs. Free Speech at

Now, could you cite any proof that you understand the American value known as free speech.

Waiting...

What do you do with a degree in "black studies"? Teach black people how to be black?
unsure.gif

How is such a degree applicable to the real world and getting a job?

...and found this:

How much of the five thesis did she read to make her determination?

Obviously enough to write academic critiques of same.

Dr. Laura Schlessinger apologizes after using racial epithet

Longtime talk show host Dr. Laura Schlessinger has posted an apology to her website after a conversation with a caller on Tuesday where she said in the N-word several times. “I articulated the N-word all the way out—more than one time,” Schlessinger said in the apology, which opened her show Wednesday morning. “And that was wrong. I’ll say it again—that was wrong.” Schlessinger claimed she was trying to make a philosophical point and lost her way. She continued in her apology: “I ended up, I’m sure, with many of you losing the point I was trying to make, because you were shocked by the fact that I said the word. I, myself, realized I had made a horrible mistake, and was so upset I could not finish the show. I pulled myself off the air at the end of the hour. I had to finish the hour, because 20 minutes of dead air doesn’t work. I am very sorry. And it just won’t happen again.”

On Tuesday’s show, Schlessinger repeated the N-word several times after a caller, identified as Jade, asked if the word was offensive. “Black guys say it all the time,” Schlessinger, who never directed the word at the caller, said. When the woman objected, Schlessinger commented: “Oh, then I guess you don’t watch HBO or listen to any black comedians.”

Why, how very liberal of you.

Forum List

Back