Censorship, American-Style

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PoliticalChic, May 20, 2012.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,008
    So, there was a thread about censorship, and arrests over anti-Semitic comments in Enland….and I pointed out that there exists a kind of censorship in this country with respect to certain protected groups….

…and it seems that I discomforted one of our pretend-law experts…who said:

“No, no reason for you to further exhibit your ignorance.

There are no statutes in the United States prohibiting the use of any word or term. You’re free to demonstrate your hatred of other races and religions with impunity.”

Interesting obfuscation,....

So…I thought it was worth examining....
    ...and found this:

1. “Earlier this week, the Chronicle of Higher Education, the trade paper for faculty members and administrators in universities, fired Naomi Schaefer Riley, a paid blogger for its website. Her crime? She had the courage to respond to a Chronicle story called “Black Studies: ‘Swaggering Into the Future,’” which stated that “young black-studies scholars . . . are less consumed than their predecessors with the need to validate the field or explain why they are pursuing doctorates in their discipline.”

2. The article used five Ph.D. candidates as examples of those “rewriting the history of race.” Riley looked at the subject areas of the five proposed dissertations and concluded that they were “obscure at best . . . a collection of left-wing victimization claptrap at worst.”

a. It seems that her crime was that she dared argue that black studies departments should be eliminated, citing the silliness of a number of the dissertations by some of the disciplines most lauded students.

b. Riley tore apart another essay that blamed the subprime housing crash on a conspirascy by white politicians, noting that ‘those millions of white people who went into foreclosure were just collateral damage, I guess.”

3. Many academics I know agree that black-studies programs are often slipshod, academically non-rigorous, and repositories for “grievance” politics. But they won’t say so publicly, for fear of being branded as “racists.” Naomi Riley had the courage to state the obvious.

4. When 6,500 politically correct academics signed a petition demanding that she be fired, the editor of the Chronicle caved.

5. A couple of speakers noted how surprising it is that political correctness in academia is now shutting off debate in the U.S., the country where academics supposedly prize vigorous discussion and vigilantly guard against any sign of McCarthyism.

6. Nick Cohen is an atheist and former leftist who writes for the Observer and Guardiannewspapers in Britain… examines the new forms of censorship that are emerging in the 21st century….surrounding taboo subjects with a bodyguard of politically correct humbug has a profound effect on liberalism. He noted that “censorship is at its most effective when no one admits that it exists.

7. While Cohen’s warning was directed at those who stifle debate on Muslim radicalism in Europe and refuse to recognize the failure of officially imposed multiculturalism, he lost no time in telling me how appalled he was at the news of Riley’s firing. “These people calling for her head are the same ones who would scream McCarthyism if someone demanded that academics who defend Iran, excuse terrorism, or accept support from dubious Middle East regimes be called to account,”…

a. James Kirchick, a contributing editor to The New Republic :“This is precisely why I am no longer on the left. It is disturbing to see such bullying.”

b. …academics have demanded tenure, ostensibly not to secure the effectively lifetime employment it creates but to give them the freedom to voice unpopular opinions and conduct research that challenges conventional thinking.

8. Few, if any, of her critics actually tried to refute her criticisms of black-studies dissertations. Instead, they sought to shut her up, and in so doing, they sent yet another message that some liberals today have become at least as intolerant of debate as any of the fundamentalists and traditionalists they abhor.

9. After Riley’s firing, I have no doubt there will be fewer people brave enough to challenge that censorship
    Censoring Naomi Riley - John Fund - National Review Online

It seems that John Fund made my point for me….

• Thank You! Thank You! x 7
  2. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,472

Political Correctness = Strategic hypersensitivity employed specifically to put your target on the defensive and thereby control the conversation.

Very effective, still.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    hate speech laws - Yahoo! Search Results

83,700,000 results

Hate speech is free speech

Except to liberals.

but don't worry, they will be demanding the right to kill unwanted babies in the crib soon enough.

4. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,008
    Sounds familiar...

'Pick the Target, Freeze It, Personalize It and Polarize It.'
    - Saul Alinsky, Rules for Radicals.

5. MuadDib

MuadDib He's called The Stig

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Interesting that some of Naomi Riley's critics branded her as a racist. Her husband is black.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  6. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,618
    Firing someone from a job for using language not in accordance with the workplace is not evidence of a statute in the United States prohibiting the use of any word or term. If you cuss up a blue streak at some jobs, you can be fired. If you make sexually suggestive comments to your co-workers, you can be fired. If a bloviator calls a woman with a sense of entitlement a slut on the air, he can lose sponsors.

That does not mean free speech is against the law or that censorship exists in America. You are free to demonstrate your bigotry or hatred, but if you are stupid enough to do it at work and lose your job, don't double down on your idiocy and say that is censorship in America...

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  7. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    So, you and the author of the opinion piece forgot to cite the statute enacted to censor this writer.

Otherwise, the Chronicle of Higher Education is a private, for profit entity, and as such may hire or fire employees as it sees fit, for any reason it desires, consequently this is not ‘censorship.’

Obviously the culture of rightwing victimhood is alive and well in conservative dogma.

8. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,456
    You actually think you can't be fired for what you say or write?

9. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,472

This seems like an appropriate occasion to once again ask for a big favor.

Could the PC crowd launch a web site in which we are instructed as to which words and phrases we are currently allowed to use? Also a list of banned topics would be helpful too. This way we can stay up to date and not risk "offending" anyone. Also this way we could enjoy what's left of our freedom of speech without being concerned about losing our jobs, being branded "racist", and stuff.

You'll probably need to hire someone to keep it updated as allowable words change, which would certainly help the unemployment situation. That's a win-win right there.

I appreciate your consideration.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  10. blackhawk

blackhawk Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,099
    It's interesting what happens when someone decides not to tow the P.C. line remember Juan Williams and NPR?