Celebrating Robert E. Lee's Birthday Today Brings Out Southern Pride And Patriotism

What a great day to be a southerner as we celebrate a great man in the name of Robert E. Lee. Today tens of millions of Americans are showing their southern pride and patriotism across America. Robert E. Lee was a true gentleman who loved his heritage as he fought for states rights.

There are people in Maryland, descendants of soldiers who fought for the Confederacy.....
I am very proud of my great and great great grandfather's service to their country.

I do not agree with slavery. Those were different times, though and for people now to go back and judge people of the old south by our current standards is just silly.
Moreover the north did very little to help the freed slaves and deserve a lot of the blame for their lack of upward mobility.

General Grant had two personal slaves through the whole war.

Reparations are not special. You are not granting me anything. You are paying a debt. You can pay it one way or another. Totally up to you.

While we are paying debts from 150 years ago, when no one living today was alive, I want reparations too!

Not just that...this jackass wants "reparations" from someone who HAD NO ANCESTORS IN THE COUNTRY until slavery had been finished for more than TWENTY YEARS! (My first ancestor came to the US in 1887 or 1888.)

Doesn't matter in the view of Identity Politics ideology.

If you are white, you are guilty of racial guilt, because whites owned slaves ALL whites bear the guilt in the IP point of view.

That neither you nor your ancestors ever owned a slave makes you innocent. That my ancestors fought to free the slaves does not free me of the collective racial white guilt either.

This is why I continue to remind people that the last ideologues in this country pursuing legal and public policy based on race are the Democrats using Identity Politics.

Why does the Democratic Party have such an obsession with categorizing people by their race? It's a fucking mystery.

There are people in Maryland, descendants of soldiers who fought for the Confederacy.....
I am very proud of my great and great great grandfather's service to their country.

I do not agree with slavery. Those were different times, though and for people now to go back and judge people of the old south by our current standards is just silly.
Moreover the north did very little to help the freed slaves and deserve a lot of the blame for their lack of upward mobility.

I find no evidence to support THAT claim, so if you have some I'd like to see it, Jim.

However there is evidence to support the notion that Grant once owned a slave, since he FREED a slave in 1859.

You might find this site interesting

Which U.S. Presidents Owned Slaves?

While we are paying debts from 150 years ago, when no one living today was alive, I want reparations too!

Not just that...this jackass wants "reparations" from someone who HAD NO ANCESTORS IN THE COUNTRY until slavery had been finished for more than TWENTY YEARS! (My first ancestor came to the US in 1887 or 1888.)

Doesn't matter in the view of Identity Politics ideology.

If you are white, you are guilty of racial guilt, because whites owned slaves ALL whites bear the guilt in the IP point of view.

That neither you nor your ancestors ever owned a slave makes you innocent. That my ancestors fought to free the slaves does not free me of the collective racial white guilt either.

This is why I continue to remind people that the last ideologues in this country pursuing legal and public policy based on race are the Democrats using Identity Politics.

Why does the Democratic Party have such an obsession with categorizing people by their race? It's a fucking mystery.

You sound confused. Whites don't bear a racial guilt. They bear a monetary debt. They benefit from being white due to the caste system built by the forefathers of this country. Since the system was built in whites favor on the backs of Blacks you are on the hook for the unpaid debt just like tax payers footed the bill for the Japanese victims dead and alive. No one asked if you were a recent immigrant. Your tax money went to pay the debt owed. If you are going to complain about Blacks on welfare then you need to address the socio-economic factors that contributed to this by Black people being legally held back which affected us financially and academically. If Black people were not consistently and purposefully held back, lied to, and cast in the role of villain this discussion would not even be a topic.

I find no evidence to support THAT claim, so if you have some I'd like to see it, Jim.

However there is evidence to support the notion that Grant once owned a slave, since he FREED a slave in 1859.

You might find this site interesting

Which U.S. Presidents Owned Slaves?

American Presidents Blog: Grant was a Slave Owner

Julia Dent Grant came from a slave-owning family and was an apologist for slavery throughout her life and the Civil War. The Grants owned slaves that came from Julia's father and Grant himself was responsible for supervising them. These slaves were not freed until 1865 when Missouri officially abolished slavery.

Grant actually owned one slave himself as well:
Grant himself owned a slave named William Jones, acquired from his father-in-law. At a time when he could have desperately used the money from the sale of Jones, Grant signed a document that gave him his freedom.
Grant freed this slave in 1859.

Robert E. Lee came from a slave-owning family, but upon his father-in-law's death, all those slaves were freed (this was 1862 before the Emancipation Proclamation). In a letter to President Pierce, Lee wrote that "There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil."

Slavery at White Haven - Ulysses S Grant National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

They were slaves owned by his wife's family, the Dents, and they were freed in December 1865.

Edit: I see, Jim, that you corrected your error. Good on you.

Last edited:
What a great day to be a southerner as we celebrate a great man in the name of Robert E. Lee. Today tens of millions of Americans are showing their southern pride and patriotism across America. Robert E. Lee was a true gentleman who loved his heritage as he fought for states rights.

"Tens of millions"?? :rofl:

Seriously, I don't know what kind of kevlar bubble you live in but I know more people (in the South) who celebrate Robert Burns' birthday.

Get a life. And a calendar.

Lee fought to empower the Steve McGarretts and God made sure he lost.

And the Steve McRacists continue to let us know why.

That's a fact.

I read a story that makes me more respectful to Lee. Whether it is true is something that remains to be proved. After the end of the War, in Richmond, at communion in the Episcopal parish church that Lee attended, a black man knelt at the communion bar for Holy Eucharist. No other white would go forward to kneel next to him. Several minutes passed, then Lee moved up the aisle and knelt next to the man. Both received communion. If true, then Lee earns respect for such a courageous act.

Lol when I see most of the last ten or so posts are by pogo and Starkey I know the thread is dead and putrid, lol.

My tribute to General Lee.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF2tTft3MPc]The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - The Last Waltz - 10 of 22 - YouTube[/ame]

A quote such as "when I see most of the last ten or so posts are by pogo and Starkey" is an admission that the confederates and Dixie have been driven down.

If Southerners want to cite pride of place and culture, why would they choose the Civil War? I might think taking pride in William Faulkner or Truman Capote or Harper Lee or Johnny Mercer or Louis Armstrong would suffice. The beauty and cosmopolitanisms of New Orleans. the dynamism of Dallas or the charm of Savannah would be something worthy of pride.

But the Civil War, the cause for which it was fought and the legacy of bigotry it wrought are points of shame and despair. If I was a Southerner, I'd run away from that era right after I got back from the showers.

If Southerners want to cite pride of place and culture, why would they choose the Civil War? I might think taking pride in William Faulkner or Truman Capote or Harper Lee or Johnny Mercer or Louis Armstrong would suffice. The beauty and cosmopolitanisms of New Orleans. the dynamism of Dallas or the charm of Savannah would be something worthy of pride.

But the Civil War, the cause for which it was fought and the legacy of bigotry it wrought are points of shame and despair. If I was a Southerner, I'd run away from that era right after I got back from the showers.

If you equate celebrating Robert E. Lee's birthday with taking pride in the Civil War then you are an idiot.

Its pretty simple. In general southerners are bitter they no longer have slaves. Celebrating being traitors and getting their asses kicked is all they have left. Its also a way to let anyone know that should Blacks need to be terrorized or exterminated they would gladly line up to volunteer for the job. Sort of like a standing militia so to speak.

If you equate celebrating Robert E. Lee's birthday with taking pride in the Civil War then you are an idiot.
An idiot?!? Really? Didn't Robert E. Lee have something to do with the Civil War? Some incidental matter? Insignificant and the kind of relativism only AN IDIOT might make?

You are an idiot to think people won't.

Its pretty simple. In general southerners are bitter they no longer have slaves. Celebrating being traitors and getting their asses kicked is all they have left. Its also a way to let anyone know that should Blacks need to be terrorized or exterminated they would gladly line up to volunteer for the job. Sort of like a standing militia so to speak.

Just forget the fact that the vast majority of white southerners did not own any slaves.

An idiot?!? Really? Didn't Robert E. Lee have something to do with the Civil War? Some incidental matter? Insignificant and the kind of relativism only AN IDIOT might make?

He was a big figure in the Civil War, but that had nothing to do with his birth.

When you celebrate your birthday are you celebrating your entire adult career or just the day of your birth?

Forum List

Back