Catholic School refuses to accept son of lesbians

Actually I am not sure lesbos would come under the sin against homosexuality.

This is the actual prohibition from Leviticus 18

22. You shall not lie down with a male, as with a woman: this is an abomination.

It is. It's part of the broader sexual sins mention, like this verse:

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
Hebrew 13:4

And there is this:

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
Romans 1:26-27

It's one of the signs of the end of times.

End times? People really believe superstition? Why?

is. It's part of the broader sexual sins mention, like this verse:
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
Hebrew 13:4

And there is this:

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
Romans 1:26-27

It's one of the signs of the end of times.
I don't recognize the nt so its meaningless to me. I do think it would fall under sodomy.

I don't understand how a school founded by a religion dedicated to the proposition that loving our fellow man is a God-given law would visit upon the children of a lesbian couple any "issue" they may take with homosexuality.

Sure, they have a right to do it.

But as Del noted in the OP, that's different from the question of whether they should be doing it.

I think they have their heads up their asses.*

If the school (the Church) has an "issue" with a lesbian couple being lesbian, then talk to that couple. But to deprive their children of the privilege of being schooled in the Church's school is (imho) rather immoral of the Church. Seriously. I cannot picture the God they worship peering down approvingly upon that Church's officials.

Last edited:
How is the refusal to allow a child to attend a school where he will be taught that homosexuality is a sin, when he is the son of homosexuals... "punishing the child"??? :eusa_eh:

It sounds to me like these people are more interested in making an activist statement than they are in what's in the best interest of this 8 year-old boy. Being put into a situation that can't help but cause moral conflict certainly isn't serving him. It's serving themselves. According to the OP, they're not even Catholic. One is left to assume, that they're just trying to start some shit, and they're using their KID to do it.

Somebody's got to be the grown-up in the room. Unfortunately for this kid, it wasn't his parents.

They should get a dog next time. Raising kids isn't a hobby or a joke. You have to do what's best for THEM.

so you think teaching this in school will hurt this child???

Yes. I think it would put him into moral conflict, learning one thing in school and and another at home. I think it could be spiritually confusing since the religious teaching is in direct opposition to what ought to be a natural family loyalty and might affect other aspects of his relationship with God. I think it might even present social conflicts with the other kids, that it could make him uncomfortable sharing the dynamics of his family for fear of criticism.

His well-being should be the FIRST consideration. Not whether or not his parents' chosen lifestyle is acceptable at the neighborhood Catholic elementary school.

p.s. That said, it is NOT incumbent upon the Church to change its teaching. It is what it is. People are free to take it or leave it.
\

That part of your argument is sound and I agree.

Back in the '50s when I grew up, my brother and I weren't allowed to attend the Catholic elementary school because we were the products of a "mixed" marriage.

My father was Jewish and my mother Catholic; "mixed" enough to keep us out of the Catholic school.

You said it before I got a chance to.

22. You shall not lie down with a male, as with a woman: this is an abomination.

It comes under the heading "lewd" "lecherous" and "fornicating".

All frowned upon, as any sort of sex outside of marriage is.

?

I don't understand how a school founded by a religion dedicated to the proposition that loving our fellow man is a God-given law would visit upon the children of a lesbian couple any "issue" they may take with homosexuality.

Sure, they have a right to do it.

But as Del noted in the OP, that's different from the question of whether they should be doing it.

I think they have their heads up their asses.*

If the school (the Church) has an "issue" with a lesbian couple being lesbian, then talk to that couple. But to deprive their children of the privilege of being schooled in the Church's school is (imho) rather immoral of the Church. Seriously. I cannot picture the God they worship peering down approvingly upon that Church's officials.

While I don't agree with the school's decision, PARENTS are considered the first teacher in Catholic education. If you accept the child, you must accept the parents.

Marriage is a sacrament in Catholicism. They do not take those lightly. Does anyone know if this couple was "married"?

except they're married...

Oh please. Did anyone here have any religous instruction other than doctrine?
Hebrew law at the time of Jesus required a man to marry his brother's widow.
Marriage has mostly been a family decision dealing with the division of property,property rights and the protection of bloodlines. Families arranged marriages and love was not part of it.

Oh please. Did anyone here have any religous instruction other than doctrine?
Hebrew law at the time of Jesus required a man to marry his brother's widow.
Marriage has mostly been a family decision dealing with the division of property,property rights and the protection of bloodlines. Families arranged marriages and love was not part of it.

Er...where did I mention love?

this is happening in my home town. i know and like the couple involved, but i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

Catholic school refuses to accept son of lesbians - BostonHerald.com

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

Well, at a guess - since I don't personally know anything about the school or the people involved - I'd say they wanted to send him there because they thought the school would provide a superior education and/or a safer environment, and it's entirely possible one or both of them is quite religious, while rejecting that one particular teaching of the Catholic Church. And I further imagine they were betting that a school wouldn't spend a whole heck of a lot of time discussing homosexuality as part of its curriculum.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Catholic schools are bleeding right now. They hould welcome EVERYONE. Are you sure there isn't more to this del? My kids' school is only 60 percent Catholic but everyone must take religion and participate in mass. Perhaps this was the issue?

i only know what's been reported in the papers. st paul's has no lack of students, which may be part of the issue here. the couple attends a UU church but at least one of them was raised as a catholic. our town has excellent public schools and two other private elementary schools. i think that the couple was blindsided by the late reaction of the pastor. my heart goes out to them, but i come back to my question in the OP. why would you send your kid to a school that believes that you as a person are inherently beyond redemption due to your sexual orientation?

I wasn't aware that the Catholic Church believed homosexuals were "inherently beyond redemption".

They do not.

Marriage is the problem. They need not know what goes on behind closed doors, but marriage is out.

The Catholic Church opposes gay marriage and the social acceptance of homosexuality and same-sex relationships, but teaches that homosexual persons deserve respect, justice and pastoral care. The Vatican and Pope John Paul II are speaking out against the growing number of places that recognize same-sex marriages.

i understand the church's position, although i disagree with it. that's one of the reasons i left it.

Being Catholic, and having gay friends, I can see both sides of it. Personally, I figure I'll let God judge it.

me too. this isn't my only area of disagreement with the church's teachings; in fact, it's pretty far down the list. birth control, abortion, and the divinity of christ come to mind. as you said, i'll let the creator judge it and me.

Well, I have to say, I at least admire you for choosing to leave the church rather than trying to change it to personally suit you. I think that shows a certain amount of character.

this is happening in my home town. i know and like the couple involved, but i don't understand why anyone would want to send their child to a school that is in opposition to their beliefs. i think the school is well within their rights not to accept the boy, although i think their position is wrong on its face. your thoughts?

Catholic school refuses to accept son of lesbians - BostonHerald.com

"A Hingham Catholic school has withdrawn its acceptance of an 8-year-old boy with lesbian parents, saying their relationship is “in discord” with church teachings, according to one of the boys’ mothers."

Simple, they want an excuse to sue the school and get money. The lesbians are using their son and IMO that proves they aren't responsible enough to be parents. They could have taken him to any non-religious private school, but they took him where they knew they wouldn't be accepted and their child is the one that pays the price. I'm so sick of parents who don't put their kids first.

except they're married...
No, they are not.

so you think teaching this in school will hurt this child???

Yes. I think it would put him into moral conflict, learning one thing in school and and another at home. I think it could be spiritually confusing since the religious teaching is in direct opposition to what ought to be a natural family loyalty and might affect other aspects of his relationship with God. I think it might even present social conflicts with the other kids, that it could make him uncomfortable sharing the dynamics of his family for fear of criticism.

His well-being should be the FIRST consideration. Not whether or not his parents' chosen lifestyle is acceptable at the neighborhood Catholic elementary school.

p.s. That said, it is NOT incumbent upon the Church to change its teaching. It is what it is. People are free to take it or leave it.

i went to catholic school through the sixth grade and i don't recall a whole lot of time being spent on any aspect of sex, gay or otherwise. in fact, i remember ZERO time being devoted to it.

i very much doubt that that has changed a whole lot.

My aunt is a nun. She's spent more than 50 years as a teacher and administrator of Catholic schools. She's kind, but strict, as many teaching nuns are. And she's utterly CHILD-FOCUSED. Her impetus is what is best for the child. She finds no fault in children. Just their parents, and only as needed.

While I'd agree with you that there's not a whole lot of educational time being spent on homosexuality, the practice is against Church doctrine. The teachers and administrators would do their best to protect the kid, but his environment five days a week would still be one in which his home life is viewed as abnormal. There's just no way to gauge the psychological affects of that.

Now, I'll be honest... I think these are bad parents. I think they've prioritized activism ahead of the best interests of their child, and I think they're USERS. There's two elements here which point to activism... one that the school was aware that they are lesbians, and two, that the newspaper was made aware that they were turned down. That information must have been offered.

From the Church's standpoint, and aside from the aspect of it not being in the best interest of the child... these are people who want to USE the school's resources while clearly rejecting the doctrine that goes hand in hand with it. The fact that one of them was raised Catholic isn't significant since they've selected another denomination in practice. They'd be taking up educational space from a child who might otherwise be able to enjoy both the academic *AND* the religious education.

Now, I'll be honest... I think these are bad parents. I think they've prioritized activism ahead of the best interests of their child,

Sometimes activism is synonymous with the best interests of the children.

Forum List

Back