Catholic Racist Lunch Menu!

Last edited:
Also a hateful romp that shows the Irish as boozing fighting degenerate gamblers.

Now excuse me while I go back to drinking my Jameson, watching the game I have the over on, and thinking about picking a fight with the bastard down at the end of the bar.
The Irish side of the family has only been in America since 1890; a great-grandfather; and we're too much the Plastic Paddies nowadays to be offended over something like that.

Given that there's a decent Kunta Kinte coming-home story and a romance and some mischievous fun embedded in it, with some delightful sketch-acting by O'Hara and Wayne, most folks are happy to overlook the period-piece stereotyping and to just enjoy the thing for the lighthearted romp that it was meant to be.

I suppose that my 4th-generation diluted Irish-half blood could be aroused in anger over this, if I ever bothered to think about it in those terms, but it's obvious that, as a comedic piece, it was designed to play on stereotypes without offering insult, and, in the case of me and my tiny little brain (in the context of such matters), I've always chosen not to be offended.

Helps me to enjoy the movie better that way.

It's a matter of choosing not to be thin-skinned about insults, where none is intended.

It's called acting like a grown-up.

My Irish side came here as free men and women in the 1600s when the Scottish clans started warring. But a lot of Irish were enslaved by the English, and many indentured themselves for a ticket to the new world.

That's true, and some were sent as slaves by the Cromwells to the West Indies. It's believed that's the origin of the lilt in the modern Jamaican accent, and that up to the 19th century there were blacks in Jamaica who spoke Gaelic.

What would your menu be at this event?

Persian food.:eusa_angel:

Lunch today is bacon, fried corn, cucumber chow chow, new potatoes, turnips, roasted asparagus, and fried apples! No turnip greens, though. Good turnip greens don't come chopped up in a bag from the grocery. Good turnip greens come in whole leaf form from the farmer in the fall of the year. Oh God! I'm such a food bigot. I'm just like YUM YUM YUM.

There is an African restaurant in Nashville that is run by some Nigerians. I frickin can't get any of my friends to go there with me. The food is eaten with the hands and not utensils.

I love me some Ethiopian restaurants, when I can find one... they serve on a plate-shaped bed of soft bread called injera, which you break off and swipe your veggies and sauces up with instead of utensils.

Alicha_1.jpg

Lunch today is bacon, fried corn, cucumber chow chow, new potatoes, turnips, roasted asparagus, and fried apples! No turnip greens, though. Good turnip greens don't come chopped up in a bag from the grocery. Good turnip greens come in whole leaf form from the farmer in the fall of the year. Oh God! I'm such a food bigot. I'm just like YUM YUM YUM.

There is an African restaurant in Nashville that is run by some Nigerians. I frickin can't get any of my friends to go there with me. The food is eaten with the hands and not utensils.

I love me some Ethiopian restaurants, when I can find one... they serve on a bed of soft bread called injera, which you break off and swipe your veggies and sauces up with instead of utensils.

Alicha_1.jpg

That's why my friends won't go with me.

That's a good looking plate, what is all that stuff?

Oy...Why in the world would a Catholic private school be so glaringly racist?

Officials at a Northern California private school are apologizing after a controversial lunch menu option to celebrate Black History Month.

Students at Carondelet High School for Girls in Concord wanted to come up with ways to observe the occasion during a lunchtime celebration Friday. But when the school announced a menu of fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon, other students and parents became offended.
KNTV-TV reports that school officials held an assembly on campus Wednesday to discuss the issue and also sent a letter apologizing to parents. Principal Nancy Libby wrote that the items were taken off of the menu and that the school doesn't perpetrate racial stereotypes.

Fried chicken corn bread and watermelon.

HMM I cannot find one thing wrong with a that meal.

Sounds fucking delicious to me.

I love me some Ethiopian restaurants, when I can find one... they serve on a bed of soft bread called injera, which you break off and swipe your veggies and sauces up with instead of utensils.

Alicha_1.jpg

Various stews, commonly using beans, veggies, lamb... you can see the holes in the bread giving an idea how airy it is -- Injera

Much more here...

Alicha_1.jpg

Various stews, commonly using beans, veggies, lamb... you can see the holes in the bread giving an idea how airy it is -- Injera

Much more here...

I may have to just go alone. The restaurant is out on Murfreesboro road, which, unfortunately, isn't the safest area of Nashville.

I love me some Ethiopian restaurants, when I can find one... they serve on a plate-shaped bed of soft bread called injera, which you break off and swipe your veggies and sauces up with instead of utensils.

Alicha_1.jpg

Looks like dog shit vomit and cat puke.

It has to taste better than it looks....I hope.

Officials at a Northern California private school are apologizing after a controversial lunch menu option to celebrate Black History Month.

Students at Carondelet High School for Girls in Concord wanted to come up with ways to observe the occasion during a lunchtime celebration Friday. But when the school announced a menu of fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon, other students and parents became offended.
KNTV-TV reports that school officials held an assembly on campus Wednesday to discuss the issue and also sent a letter apologizing to parents. Principal Nancy Libby wrote that the items were taken off of the menu and that the school doesn't perpetrate racial stereotypes.

When they had 'special' meals where I went to school, the menu always included ham with raisin sauce. Ham, OK. Raisin sauce, enough to gag a maggot! That is where I learned to hate raisins and I don't eat them to this day. If a recipe calls for raisins, I use currants.

"...Thanks to genealogy websites, I can trace my roots back to the clan chief, going back to the 1200s."
One of my cousins, doing Irish genealogy work, says much the same thing.

I'm a little more skeptical, but I managed to make good progress on the German half of my Irish-German ancestry, when I was 'into genealogy' in the 2000-2003 timeframe.

Had a 'Roots / Kunte Kinte' moment (on paper) in finding the family villages in Hesse, and managed to latch onto parish and civil documents that take us back to the early 1600s, over there, before the trail goes cold.

Fun stuff, genealogy, if you've got the patience and persistence and drive for it.

Kills me sometimes to realize that I was stationed only 50-60 miles from there, as a kid in the Army, and didn't even realize it at the time.

Much more here...

I may have to just go alone. The restaurant is out on Murfreesboro road, which, unfortunately, isn't the safest area of Nashville.

This is all Ethiopian though - east Africa. I really don't know much about Nigerian cuisine or whether it's anything similar to this.

When they had 'special' meals where I went to school, the menu always included ham with raisin sauce. Ham, OK. Raisin sauce, enough to gag a maggot! That is where I learned to hate raisins and I don't eat them to this day. If a recipe calls for raisins, I use currants.

I agree with you on the ham and raisin sauce.

I want to puke just remembering how awful that is.

Alicha_1.jpg

I guess one sees what's in one's own experiences... :dunno:

Alicha_1.jpg

Didn't say I wouldn't try it. I'll try anything once.

It just does not look appetizing.

Irish bangers and mash...

BXSP01H_bangers-and-mash_s4x3.jpg

German schnitzel and pomme frites...

9ca6544dc6391d1fe97c62ba5ac0b735.jpg

Classic Irish and German foods, and I wasn't offended even once...

Didn't say I wouldn't try it. I'll try anything once.

It just does not look appetizing.

I will try most any food once and I don't find many that I don't like. Don't give me no chitlins though, and when I could eat seafood I didn't care for oysters. Too musky.

That just looks like pulled, chopped meat and beans to me. I think if you cook and know what food looks like raw, that plate doesn't look so bad.

Irish bangers and mash...

BXSP01H_bangers-and-mash_s4x3.jpg

German schnitzel and pomme frites...

9ca6544dc6391d1fe97c62ba5ac0b735.jpg

Classic Irish and German foods, and I wasn't offended even once...

I really don't care for corned beef except on a Reuben. I guess the Swiss cheese and kraut drowns out the taste I don't like.

Forum List

Back