Careful what you wish for

edward37

Gold Member
Jan 19, 2017
"In March 2002, President George W. Bush imposed a 30% tariff on Chinese steel. The results were chaotic. In a report put out by Consuming Industries Trade Action Coalition in February of that year, the coalition found the tariffs against China boosted the overall prices of steel and cost the U.S. 200,000 jobs in businesses that buy steel, representing $4 billion."
"In another recent situation, in September 2009, President Obama imposed a three-year tariff on car tires from China. Chinese imports went down, but the tires were simply sourced from other countries, the LA Times noted. According to the Peterson Institute for International Economics, 1,200 tire jobs were saved in the U.S., but through costs passed along to American consumers, 2,500 jobs were lost indirectly."
Be careful what you wish for...!!!
There's a lot more here -> President Trump’s predecessors learned about tariffs the hard way ... (feel free to ignore any videos)

On one hand, I certainly understand that argument.

On the other, global incomes are so skewed, making global competition so completely asymmetrical, that we may not have a choice here. The bottom line would be higher costs for most of the products that we buy. Yes.

Okay, so let's look for a silver lining. That would also mean that we're buying less cheap, shitty imported stuff in massive volume and buying fewer things with better quality. Watching a 42" TV instead of a 60" TV. Driving a normal car instead of a Humvee. Eating only three plates at the buffet instead of five. I dunno, could we possibly survive that?

If we're going to pay American workers more - and everyone wants that - there are only so many moving parts to play with.

I wish all Democrats would be granted a modicum of common sense. Consequences - the end of the Democratic party.

Trump is a businessman. He's forgotten more about how to run a business than any dimocrap will ever know

"In March 2002, President George W. Bush imposed a 30% tariff on Chinese steel. The results were chaotic. In a report put out by Consuming Industries Trade Action Coalition in February of that year, the coalition found the tariffs against China boosted the overall prices of steel and cost the U.S. 200,000 jobs in businesses that buy steel, representing $4 billion."
"In another recent situation, in September 2009, President Obama imposed a three-year tariff on car tires from China. Chinese imports went down, but the tires were simply sourced from other countries, the LA Times noted. According to the Peterson Institute for International Economics, 1,200 tire jobs were saved in the U.S., but through costs passed along to American consumers, 2,500 jobs were lost indirectly."
There's a lot more here -> President Trump’s predecessors learned about tariffs the hard way ... (feel free to ignore any videos)
Haven't you noticed by now that history to ignorant whites is mute? Trickle down coming back, isolationism coming back, marginalizing immigrants, hating on illegals, tax cuts for the rich, etc....all past nightmares to this country, all coming back. (sigh)...number one reason, we the American stupid deserves everything that is coming our way and more. Trump will be the white man's answer of why thier voting rights should be revoked!!

Just relax Trump will handle it.
Yeah, relax with a guy who obsesses over crowd numbers, lies about voter fraud numbers and who lost a billion dollars in one year and who to this day, refuses to release his tax returns....relax my black ass. You relax pal, that prod he's stickin up your ass shouldn't feel that good, eh?

Like he got Mexico to pay for Trump Wall.
You couldn't make this shit up even if you tried. He's acting like a fuckin kid in candy store, signing off on shit, that has no plans, just chest thumping rhetoric to feed a base of ingrates on. He's beyond sad and the fact seasoned politicians on both sides aren't calling this baffoon out...just mind blowing. Especially the hell they gave the black guy if he so much mentioned shit, FIRST CALL TO MEDIA...HOW WE GONNA PAY FOR IT????? Hypocrites to the core

Yeah, relax with a guy who obsesses over crowd numbers, lies about voter fraud numbers and who lost a billion dollars in one year and who to this day, refuses to release his tax returns....relax my black ass. You relax pal, that prod he's stickin up your ass shouldn't feel that good, eh?

LOL you fell for it, Trump fooled you. I predicted this a couple weeks ago Dr. Keith Ablow: What's REALLY going on in Trump's mind? (Hint: it's not what you think)

Everything Donald Trump does is strategically calculated to achieve a goal. His communication is designed not to simply convey his gut feelings, but to make people focus on one thing — call it a decoy — so he can do six other things while they’re distracted.

Trump is a businessman. He's forgotten more about how to run a business than any dimocrap will ever know
like all trumpette idiots don't get, running businesses is vastly different from running a government

like all trumpette idiots don't get, running businesses is vastly different from running a government

Who says??

You....?? :9:
yes me,,,and I'm smarter than the average republican

No, you're just another dimocrap dead-ender.

You are incapable of understanding complex problems and finding solutions for them.

It's why you're in here, wasting your time.

And spare me the tu quoque fallacy..... I'm retired.

Who says??

No, you're just another dimocrap dead-ender.

You are incapable of understanding complex problems and finding solutions for them.

It's why you're in here, wasting your time.

And spare me the tu quoque fallacy..... I'm retired.
I'm retired too btw ,,,,and you don't bully leaders from other countries like you can bully others as a business man....they'll tell you to f off

As handy as such practical examples are -- I suppose they are useful, perhaps necessary, in Missouri -- the fact of the matter is that exactly the noted behaviors are what any high school economics student could have with full accuracy foreseen, and yet, we actually have legislators and executive office holders still imposing tariffs. Moreover, we currently have a whole new crop of federal execs who advocate for them in spite of the fact that among economic experts there is likely no single thing that is more unanimously agreed upon: free trade is by far better than is constrained/protected trade.

Who says??

Gruber disagrees and your kind stuck up for him when he called you ignorant. Lol, not very smart.

Who says??

No you're not.
YES I AM I have an IQ in 3 digits.......1 of 10 republicans can say the same

Who says??

No you're not.
YES I AM I have an IQ in 3 digits.......1 of 10 republicans can say the same
Mommy lied to you. Lol

Forum List

Back