Capitalist regulation vesus government regulation

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Brutus, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Capitalist regulation means that most commerce is regulated through the necessity of two parties engaging in a voluntary transaction that renders both better off.

Government regulation means that commerce is regulated en masse with violence that renders at least one party the victim of a crime and, potentially, all of society subject to the error of one mistaken regulation or philosophy. A good example of the this is the Great Depression or the current great recession.

2. FiscalSanity

FiscalSanity Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Brutus,

I can't agree with you. Capitalist regulation in and of itself can't exist without some form of government to enforce it, which by definition means that capitalist regulation IS government regulation. In fact any form of regulation that enjoys any sort of legal protection is government regulation. I also have to disagree with your definition of what capitalist regulation means, given that it amounts to nothing more then someones word or handshake, which is a system thats easily abused. We've had unregulated capitalism in a lot of industries throughout this countries history, and virtually every time the government had to step in and create regulations to keep all the scam artists and snake oil salesman from killing people with their products.

3. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    yes but capitalist regulation is 100% about enforcing peaceful voluntary transaction on participants

actually far more than a handshake, often a reputation developed over 100 years which is almost impossible to abuse

You blindly assume the government is not the snake oil salesman when it has caused all the evil in human history. MOst recently the Great Depression and now the great recession. Jefferson gave us freedom and liberty from government exactly for that reason. He understood without seeing the 20 Century. You have seen it and still don't understand. Welcome to your first lesson in American History

4. Epsilon Delta

Epsilon Delta Jedi Master

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Jefferson gave you freedom and liberty from government by... taking a huge role in the shaping and establishment of a government? :eusa_eh:

5. FiscalSanity

FiscalSanity Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You actually made me chuckle there. Im' quite well versed in American history, so that comment made me smile.

Anyway, I'm not getting your whole distinction between capitalist regulation and government regulation. I need some specific examples of what you mean by capitalist regulation, preferably one that doesn't require government regulation to enforce. I can think of a number of capitalist practices that existed before the government took ove regulating them, but the goverrnment ended up regulating those practices (or at least adopting them into law) to prevent people from abusing them. Think about a simple contract-without the force of the law behind it it's only as good as the word of the people who signed it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,809

You are confusing The Rule of Law with regulation, bub.

7. FiscalSanity

FiscalSanity Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Um, yeah. Law's and regulations are effectively the same thing, even if they are created differently. We can argue the semantics all we want, but in effect a regulation is treated just like a law in practice. You either comply with the regulation or you pay the consequences, just like with a law. I just don't see much distinction there.

8. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    the issue is whether the laws and regulations are designed to promote freedom and liberty from government(Republican) or the oppposite( Democratic).

9. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,809

No They Are Not.

The details of most regulations are written by Unelected Bureaucrats who are Not Answerable to the Public.

This is one reason why most regulatory bodies are actually captive regulators run for the benefit of the largest organizations they are supposed to be regulating.

10. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yes he formed the Republican Party in 1792 and took over the government with it in 1800. He established a goverment that was very very limited, unlike his liberal oponents who wanted the exact opposite.

Jefferson established a government and so did Hitler, but this does not mean they were similar. Got it now?