Cancer

I don't think there are very many people who haven't been touched in some way by cancer, either from having some form of it or knowing someone who does. My mother died from brain cancer. My wife had cervical cancer and melanoma. I had prostate cancer. Sounds like the treatments you had to endure were almost as bad as the disease. At least you're alive now and doing OK. I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy.

sadly there is no money in curing cancer

That's for damned sure. Far better to keep stringing the poor unfortunates along and soaking them for every dime. A friend was diagnosed with prostate cancer and his oncologist never once mentioned the CyberKnife that we have down in Reno. The asshole wanted to operate and then have multiple doses of chemo. I took my friend to the Cyberknife folks and they checked and lo and behold, they could help him. Six out patient treatments and he was done.
Is that like a gamma knife?

i never slept in hospital...the first 'procedure' i proceeded to vomit for hours.....the next one....they gave so much zofran ....i just remember in the bay..the nurse had shot after shot of zofran for the iv...and the shot where they go....okay honey we will talk to you later....

sadly there is no money in curing cancer

That's for damned sure. Far better to keep stringing the poor unfortunates along and soaking them for every dime. A friend was diagnosed with prostate cancer and his oncologist never once mentioned the CyberKnife that we have down in Reno. The asshole wanted to operate and then have multiple doses of chemo. I took my friend to the Cyberknife folks and they checked and lo and behold, they could help him. Six out patient treatments and he was done.
Is that like a gamma knife?

Why Reno CyberKnife | Reno CyberKnife

A little over 15 years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 throat cancer and it was also in the lymph nodes on one side of my neck. (never smoked cigarettes)

When I asked the doc my odds, he said 50 - 50 and used the basketball term, "full court press" to describe how it would be treated.

62 radiation treatments, lymph removal surgery on my neck, and several months with a feeding tube in my stomach. I'm a skinny guy already with an average weight of about 165, but I went down to 130 by the end of the radiation treatments.

Within 6 months I had gained my weight back, returned to work, and could eat any food no problem, even spicy mexican food. The radiation killed my saliva glands, so I must drink something about every second or third bite of food.

The whole ordeal was hell to go through.

But on the plus side, I've seen all three of my grandkids born, grow up, and start school. ..... :thup:

Last edited:
A little over 15 years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 throat cancer and it was in the lymph nodes on one side of my neck. (never smoked cigaretts)

When I asked the doc my odds. he said 50 - 50 and used the basketball term, "full court press" to describe how it would be treated.

62 radiation treatments, lymph removal surgery on my neck, and several months with a feeding tube in my stomach. I'm a skinny guy already with an average weight of about 165, but I went down to 130 by the end of the radiation treatments.

Within 6 months I had gained my weight back, returned to work, and could eat any food no problem, even spicy mexican food. The radiation killed my saliva glands, so I must drink something about every second of third bite of food.

But on the plus side, I've seen all three of my grandkids growing up and starting school. ..... :thup:
Same cancers! I still drink tons of water. My saliva glands are just starting to work.

A little over 15 years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 throat cancer and it was in the lymph nodes on one side of my neck. (never smoked cigaretts)

When I asked the doc my odds. he said 50 - 50 and used the basketball term, "full court press" to describe how it would be treated.

Within 6 months I had gained my weight back, returned to work, and could eat any food no problem, even spicy mexican food. The radiation killed my saliva glands, so I must drink something about every second of third bite of food.

But on the plus side, I've seen all three of my grandkids growing up and starting school. ..... :thup:
Mine was left side of the neck.

My cancer wake up call was when it took a friend and co-worker who was very similar to me in almost every way including being an avid distance runner. He was in great shape one year short of retirement and was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer. It was extremely aggressive, about 5% of the cases are this form. He was gone in 8 months.

I saw what he went through and I admire anyone who has to fight that beast. I hope you stay clear and keep swinging DF!

My cancer wake up call was when it took a friend and co-worker who was very similar to me in almost every way including being an avid distance runner. He was in great shape one year short of retirement and was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer. It was extremely aggressive, about 5% of the cases are this form. He was gone in 8 months.

I saw what he went through and I admire anyone who has to fight that beast. I hope you stay clear and keep swinging DF!
I never heard of a runner getting it. Most of the time it's diet or cyclists.

Forum List

Back