Canceled TV shows.

Copper should not have been cancelled, but it was too strong on reality. Drug addiction, sexually abused and precocious children (that one must have really been the death knell) and lots of pot boiler drama. Best show on tv in awhile. I knew it would be cancelled, though.

You might like Mercy Street on PBS then, but I don't think they're running the episodes free anymore. Might be on Amazon Prime.
It's on PBS and I've seen it a couple times, but it's pablum compared to Copper. Copper was for adults only.

I watched 'Copper'. 19th century mega-realism is now running its course. Try 'Taboo'.

Copper should not have been cancelled, but it was too strong on reality. Drug addiction, sexually abused and precocious children (that one must have really been the death knell) and lots of pot boiler drama. Best show on tv in awhile. I knew it would be cancelled, though.

You might like Mercy Street on PBS then, but I don't think they're running the episodes free anymore. Might be on Amazon Prime.
It's on PBS and I've seen it a couple times, but it's pablum compared to Copper. Copper was for adults only.

I watched 'Copper'. 19th century mega-realism is now running its course. Try 'Taboo'.
taboo is good

cast3.jpg

Homicide: Life on the Street, still miss it.

taboo is good

There was a one season British show called 'City of Vice' that was pretty good in this same vein of the raw and gritty. Iain Glen's in it as a blind cop. I watched it on youtube, may still be there.

One of my favorite shows that for some reason I can't figure out was cancelled was Raising Hope.

It was a very funny show, very well written but it seems no one but me watched it.

Shows get cancelled because not enough people are watching them, cupcake.

it's a combo of how much it costs to produce the show, and how many people are watching. And the producer pissing off the network exec won't help.

Some good shows with good ratings have been cancelled because it was more profitable to replace them with some junk show that got lower ratings, but which cost almost nothing to produce.

Thanks. I always enjoyed Joan of Arcadia. Had too many family values so was cancelled after two seasons.
Yeah, that's why Star Trek was canceled in 1969, nobody was interested in it.
Dumbass.

Actually, everything I've read says that bad ratings are exactly why the original Trek was cancelled.
That's what they say.
Tell me, what replaced Star Trek?
Point made.

it's a combo of how much it costs to produce the show, and how many people are watching. And the producer pissing off the network exec won't help.

Some good shows with good ratings have been cancelled because it was more profitable to replace them with some junk show that got lower ratings, but which cost almost nothing to produce.

Farscape, a show on Sci Fi a decade or so ago, got cancelled in part because it cost too much to make. That turned out to be a poor decision, and they made a TV-movie to conclude the series later on.

Thanks. I always enjoyed Joan of Arcadia. Had too many family values so was cancelled after two seasons.
Dumbass.

Actually, everything I've read says that bad ratings are exactly why the original Trek was cancelled.
That's what they say.
Point made.

Is your point that sometimes shows don't get enough people watching them when they first air, but a following grows later?

What replaced Star Trek has no bearing on whether or not the show was getting good ratings when it was cancelled.

Farscape, a show on Sci Fi a decade or so ago, got cancelled in part because it cost too much to make. That turned out to be a poor decision, and they made a TV-movie to conclude the series later on.

In my opinion, Farscape went down hill for me after Hey (Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan) left; however, the makeup has making her very ill and she had to stop.

The Shannara Chronicles

I was just starting to get into it...a shame...some of the greatest books I've read..

Mars.

I'm not sure if this series has been canceled, but they haven't made a new episode in months and months but I was really getting into it. It is a combination of SciFi dramatization coupled with some documentary style inserts of today's movers and shakers in the space arena.

'Mars'- New Series Combines First Mission Drama With Documentary | Trailer

Dumbass.

That's what they say.
Point made.

Is your point that sometimes shows don't get enough people watching them when they first air, but a following grows later?

What replaced Star Trek has no bearing on whether or not the show was getting good ratings when it was cancelled.
"In 2011, the decision to cancel Star Trek by NBC was ranked #4 on the TV Guide Networkspecial, 25 Biggest TV Blunders 2.["

Dumbass.

That's what they say.
Point made.

"In 2011, the decision to cancel Star Trek by NBC was ranked #4 on the TV Guide Networkspecial, 25 Biggest TV Blunders 2.["
Hindsight is 20-20. At the time of its cancellation, ST wasn't doing that well.

Dumbass.

That's what they say.
Point made.

Hindsight is 20-20. At the time of its cancellation, ST wasn't doing that well.
"
The enthusiasm of Star Trek's viewers surprised NBC.[25] The network had already received 29,000 fan letters for the show during its first season, more than for any other except The Monkees.[19] When rumors spread in late 1967 that Star Trek was at risk of cancellation, Roddenberry secretly began and funded an effort by Bjo Trimble, her husband John and other fans to persuade tens of thousands of viewers to write letters of support to save the program.[39][40]:377–394[41] Using the 4,000 names on a mailing list for a science-fiction convention, the Trimbles asked fans to write to NBC and ask ten others to also do so.[42]:128 NBC received almost 116,000 letters for the show between December 1967 and March 1968, including more than 52,000 in February alone;[43][44][19] according to an NBC executive, the network received more than one million pieces of mail but only disclosed the 116,000 figure.[39] Newspaper columnists encouraged readers to write letters to help save what one called "the best science fiction show on the air".[45] More than 200 Caltech students marched to NBC's Burbank, California studio to support Star Trek in January 1968, carrying signs such as "Draft Spock" and "Vulcan Power".[46] Berkeley and MIT students organized similar protests in San Francisco and New York.[45]

The letters supporting Star Trek, whose authors included New York State Governor Nelson Rockefeller,[47] were different in both quantity and quality from most mail that television networks receive:

The show, according to the 6,000 letters it draws a week (more than any other in television), is watched by scientists, museum curators, psychiatrists, doctors, university professors and other highbrows. The Smithsonian Institution asked for a print of the show for its archives, the only show so honored.[45]

In addition:

Much of the mail came from doctors, scientists, teachers, and other professional people, and was for the most part literate–and written on good stationery. And if there is anything a network wants almost as much as a high Nielsen ratings it is the prestige of a show that appeals to the upper middle class and high brow audiences.[35]

NBC—which used such anecdotes in much of its publicity for the show—made the unusual decision to announce on television, after the episode "The Omega Glory" on March 1, 1968, that the series had been renewed.[31]:116–117[47] The announcement implied a request to stop writing,[39] but instead caused fans to send letters of thanks in similar numbers.[48]

While NBC paid lip service to expanding Star Trek's audience, it [now] slashed our production budget until it was actually ten percent lower than it had been in our first season ... This is why in the third season you saw fewer outdoor location shots, for example. Top writers, top guest stars, top anything you needed was harder to come by. Thus, Star Trek's demise became a self-fulfilling prophecy. And I can assure you, that is exactly as it was meant to be.[56]

Star Trek: The Original Series (season 3) - Wikipedia

In my opinion, Farscape went down hill for me after Hey (Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan) left; however, the makeup has making her very ill and she had to stop.

It sucked that Zhaan had to go for such an unfortunate reason.

Forum List

Back