Can you be a Christian and vote for Obama?

Can you be a Christian and vote for Obama?

• Yes

Votes: 40 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
Who said I'm angry at Sarah Palin. I find her lack of rational thinking, her inflated self-perception, her lack of accountability for her own ignorance, and the general celebration of anti-intellectualism she seems eager to represent and which has grown dangerously large in our nation, reprehensible. And the fact that she even has a remote chance to become VP I find both offensive and appalling. But I'm not angry at her. She's at least given me hope simply by the number of other people who share opinion. I feel better about the future of our country knowing that at least some of nation perhaps learned from the mistake they made with Bush. Go have a beer with the person you want to have a beer with. Don't put them in charge of the most powerful nation on earth.

The thought of having a beer with Sarah Palin never crossed my mind. This must be something the left wing media is putting out there. Are you saying that the people of Alaska was hoodwinked by Palin? They also give her an 80% approval rating. She was mayor of Wasilla and is a governor. I truly believe she and the McCain campaign did a disservice to themselves when they allowed her to be interviewed by Couric and Gibson. The true Sarah Palin was edited out. The media has been against her since the getgo.

Her plain-speak does not mean plain person. Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan have been characterized as folksy. This is not an indication of their intellect. I would understand your uneasiness if it was truly the case that she didn't have the intelligence or the capability. But so far, I don't think you have made your case.

The thought of having a beer with Sarah Palin never crossed my mind. This must be something the left wing media is putting out there. Are you saying that the people of Alaska was hoodwinked by Palin? They also give her an 80% approval rating. She was mayor of Wasilla and is a governor. I truly believe she and the McCain campaign did a disservice to themselves when they allowed her to be interviewed by Couric and Gibson. The true Sarah Palin was edited out. The media has been against her since the getgo.

Her plain-speak does not mean plain person. Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan have been characterized as folksy. This is not an indication of their intellect. I would understand your uneasiness if it was truly the case that she didn't have the intelligence or the capability. But so far, I don't think you have made your case.

Apparently you don't listen much to the tactics of your own party either, which makes you clueless as well. George Bush Jr. was the one that ran on the platform of "the president you'd like to have a beer with", and McStupid and Pandering Palin just followed along with more of the same. And, why in the hell SHOULDN'T they have let her be interviewed? Are you saying that she should get a pass, considering all the crap that Obama had to deal with at the beginning? Not only are you not bright, but you're biased as well.

As far as the pitbull bitch's "folksy" talk, she came off sounding more uneducated than anything else. That also is another page out of the Bush Jr. playbook.

No, she doesn't have the intellectual capability to be VP. Especially when she tried to interpret a fuel stop in Ireland on a return from Kuwait as "foreign experience" in Ireland.

She's not smart, she's sneaky and manipulative. There IS a difference.

You cannot compare Palin to Lincoln or Reagan, that is an insult to both men!

You cannot compare Palin to Lincoln or Reagan, that is an insult to both men!

Typical Repugnican tactic......take ONE great person, and then try to make everyone currently in their party appear to be them reincarnated.

Hmmmm.......might explain why everyone and their dog tries to say they are Regan people.

Well, I've only read of couple of your posts too. So I guess both of us are at fault. I'm fairly new here, but I've made my share of posts that are more substantive than this. Now that you've informed me about your posts, I will look for them and pay more attention. Maybe you can direct me to some of your posts why you believe Sarah Palin is stupid.

Well, I've only read of couple of your posts too. So I guess both of us are at fault. I'm fairly new here, but I've made my share of posts that are more substantive than this. Now that you've informed me about your posts, I will look for them and pay more attention. Maybe you can direct me to some of your posts why you believe Sarah Palin is stupid.

I don't believe I said she was stupid. In the post I made in jest I called her a looney which implies irrationality. I'll provide a link to more in-depth posts if you like, but I can do a quick summary here.

I don't think she knew what the Bush Doctrine was, and this implies a certain lack of curiosity about the National political diaglogue.

I don't think she reads very much based upon her interview responses-this too implies a lack of intellectual engagement.

I have not heard her speak substantively and with the sort of nuance that implies a firm grasp of almost any issue.

Comments about foreign policy experience consisting of Alaska's proximity to Russia is a reflection of her intellectual dishonesty and disrespectful to the intelligence of the American people.

She seemed to be coached to repeat simple talking points during the debate and intentionally avoided any issue for which she had not prepared.

She did not seem to understand in regards to troopergate that the gentleman she fired could not legally go back and discipline the trooper for issues that had been investigated and closed with disciplinary action given before he took office. Alternately she understood but did not care which would speak to her perceived self-importance.

She will not discuss her views on anthropogenic global warming, but in the past stated she did not believe it was man-made. This is contrary to the conclusion reached by the consensus of the scientific community. Furthermore, she has stated more than once that she believes it is more important to address the problem rather than discuss the causes. This illustrates a fundamental irrationality in that it fails to connect the importance of understanding the cause of global warming so that an effective solution may be found.

She has suggested teaching the controversy of evolution in science classrooms may be beneficial. There is no scientific controversy on evolution. The controversy is a contrived one by those who wish to promote theological views as primary to scientific understanding. Evolution is one of the most well-evidenced theories in science.

She questioned a librarian about the possibility of banning books. That's a clear warning sign of anti-enlightenment thinking.

She was prayed over by a minister asking god to protect her from witches. A minister who actually drove a woman out of a town in Africa, accusing her of being a witch. This isn't anti-Americanism, it's ante-Americanism. Even the founding fathers had moved beyond accusations of witchcraft as a way to explain problems. These types of beliefs are irrational.

Rather than promote the advantages her ticket offered, she spent much of her campaign time making spurious accusations about Obama.

Her educational background is not distinguished. And that's being kind.

She has contradicted her own ticket on a number of occasions.

This is just a portion of the reasons off the top of my head. But you don't have to just take my word for it. I could simply point to the flight of several long-time Republican intellectuals and pundits in which they gave Palin's selection as VP as the primary reason for the withdrawal of their support or in some cases their endorsement of Obama. The same is true for several newspapers.

First, the having a beer comment was in reference to a theme from Bush's elections where it was often commented that he tried to put forth an everyman-blue collar image, like someone you'd like to have a beer with. I was just using it as way to summarize the Joe Sixpack image Palin has referenced so often. It's not plain speak I have a problem with. The excuse that Palin's revealed inadequacies were somehow due to Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric is preposterous. The "liberal media" talking point is a tired and frankly obnoxious excuse. Anytime a legitimate news outlet is critical of a conservative figure or a conservative issue, it does not mean they are "in the tank". The only way one can justify such a perception is to believe that conservatives are infallible. McCain mentioned "gotcha" questions. Please point out to me exactly which questions you believe were "gotcha" questions or more generally questions that were inappropriate and designed to portray Palin in a negative way.

Lincoln and Reagan were great orators. Lincoln was also a talented speechwriter as was Reagan to a degree. I have seen neither quality in Palin. Lincoln also made a point of surrounding himself with people in his cabinet who profoundly disagreed with him so he could consider issues from multiple perspectives. Palin proudly describes how she got rid of everyone who would not be a team player when she took office in Alaska. I live in the south. I have no problem with folksy or plain speech. But the content of the speech- the coherence that implies an understanding beneath the rhetoric- that is essential whatever the style. And Palin has not shown me that she has any depth of understanding on any major issue.

You have to admit....Obama getting elected goes pretty much against most conventional wisdom. Most things that do that are considered "miracles", which means God approves.........

Why WOULDN'T a Christian vote for Obama? Don't you believe in miracles?

So, let me get this shit strait... If JESUS H. Christ personally chooses these elections, as was the 04 drone from dogma junkies who want to reinforce their politics via the bible, THEN I GUESS LAST NIGHT OLE J DAWG HOPPED ON THE OBAMA BANDWAGON, eh?

:lol:

fucking dogma junkies.

So, let me get this shit strait... If JESUS H. Christ personally chooses these elections, as was the 04 drone from dogma junkies who want to reinforce their politics via the bible, THEN I GUESS LAST NIGHT OLE J DAWG HOPPED ON THE OBAMA BANDWAGON, eh?

:lol:

fucking dogma junkies.
maybe because ole j dawg is not white and he wants white people to stop portraying him as if he were.:razz:

even if Obama WAS a muslim, you could still vote for him. There is nothing wrong with anyone, regardless of race or religion becoming president.. that is what is great about our country

Your God? Here we go, God-less person telling us what's in the bible... :eusa_hand:

I'm an aetheist and I've read the Bible and been subjected since I was a kid to countless readings from the Bible. Anyone can read the Bible; I just wish more Christians would.

Easy answer... What Would Jesus Do? Hard to believe he would vote for a guy who believes in abortion...
A lot of people who are Christian, as well as other faiths, are in a position of accepting current law for things they DO NOT BELIEVE IN. You acknowledge that a law IS, and then work to change it if you do not agree with it.

Would J. vote for a serial womanizer and adulterer like McCain?

I would bet that McCain "BELIEVES" in womanizing more than Pres-Elect Obama believes in abortion. THAT is a matter of public record.

I want a LEADER who is SMARTER than Joe 6 Pack. Spent 20 years in the Navy, and I know the danger of someone in the lead who is stupid.

Palin is the civilian equivalent of a newly commissioned non-Academy ENSIGN.... IOW not even a JG, lol......

maybe because ole j dawg is not white and he wants white people to stop portraying him as if he were.:razz:

Listen, just because we elected a black man as president DOES NOT mean that every other person of some note and fame was black also.....this is getting tiresome........

First, Yeshua (Jesus) was Jewish. Jewish people of the time looked much like they do now, which is white skin with dark curly hair. Ever been to Israel? I have, and there are very few blacks over there.

Palin is the civilian equivalent of a newly commissioned non-Academy ENSIGN.... IOW not even a JG, lol......

Actually, I look at her as more of an ensign who was commissioned just because they got a degree. Unfortunately, it was from a community college, but, because her big brother was a ring knocker (McStupid), she's trying to coast on his fame with her limited understanding.

Actually heard of a couple of brothers like that once........the ring knocker (Academy grad for you civvies) was a pompous prick, and the brother was even more so because of his inferiority complex about not going to the Academy.

Nope......Palin is a community college ensign at best.

Listen, just because we elected a black man as president DOES NOT mean that every other person of some note and fame was black also.....this is getting tiresome........

First, Yeshua (Jesus) was Jewish. Jewish people of the time looked much like they do now, which is white skin with dark curly hair. Ever been to Israel? I have, and there are very few blacks over there.

Most Jewish people in Israel now are there because they fled Europe after WWII, that's why they're white. 2,000 years ago, the people who lived in the Middle East physically resembled Arabs with dark skin, black hair, dark eyes, large facial features (nose, eyes, lips). Actually, Jesus looked like an Arab.

Most Jewish people in Israel now are there because they fled Europe after WWII, that's why they're white. 2,000 years ago, the people who lived in the Middle East physically resembled Arabs with dark skin, black hair, dark eyes, large facial features (nose, eyes, lips). Actually, Jesus looked like an Arab.
Actually, Jews fled the middle east due to Muslim raids. Again, back then you had to be born into that religion, and could not marry outside of it. So the Jews that ended up in Europe and are now in Israel look pretty much as the have for thousands of years.

Forum List

Back