Can USMB Be A Model Of BiPartisan Unity?

Sorry,
The difference between the right and the left is too great. Republicans are 90% white and based in the Confederate south. Obama's black may be only skin deep, their hatred is to the bone.

And right wing ideology overwhelms their sensibility. The support for the disastrous Iraqi war, the support for the apology to BP, the support for a leadership that calls unemployed members of their own base "hobos and druggies", the fact that the right wing shoots up Democratic campaign offices because a health care bill was passed that gives insurance to millions of children.

Simply the fact that the Republican base supports a party that worked vigorously to move millions of their jobs overseas to China is a perfect example. Would they show such support for a party whose leadership says publicly the president "pals around with terrorists" and "wasn't born here" if Obama wasn't black. It's only because Obama is black these charges even come up. It's crazy to think otherwise.

Ok rdean,
Here's your chance to step back and do what the President was talking about tonight:

Republicans' are all white Southerners?

This is an ACTUAL MAP of the ACTUAL RESULTS by county in the 2008 election:

countymapredbluer512.png

You want to keep with the stereotype?

Or join us in the real world?

fwiw that map demonstrates that the more densely populated a region is the more likely it is to vote democrat, and vice versa.

IOW the most social people tend to have the most social values while the most antisocial people the most antisocial values.

Do you concur?

Not at all.

Your cart breaks down on the interstate and you need to flag down some help.

Which area would you suspect is more anti-social (less inclined to stop and help you):

Alabama?

Or New York City?

I understand your position, really I do. But we are in crisis mode. It's another "9/11" right now, and now is a time for unity.

So, I'm willing to try.

I'm not in crisis mode. Why exactly would I be? I pray and feel for the victims of the recent shootings but it doesnt put me in crisis mode. Why on earth should I fear and worry about anything?
Did you say this during/right after 9/11/2001?

Would you?

It's really not about you Avatar...that's the problem.

It's about ALL of America.

I hope you come to understand that.

Nope. Because 9/11 was significantly different and I was significantly younger and inexperienced.

9/11 was a coordinated attack by enemies who wanted to eliminate or cripple our Republic. It completely shifted the paradign of countless people, including myself, who at the time weren't really thinking these kinds of things could happen. We were also left with questions about whether there were other immediate attacks planned. Our lives and nation will be forever changed directly because of that attack.

Last weekend's shooting, despite how tragic it is, was not a coordinated attack by our enemies. It was the act of a derranged stalker and madman. It was a random act of violence. We dont have to worry about coconspirators making more attacks. It was murder. And murder, sadly is quite common. The reason this one is significant is because of the target and scope, not because it is something that will effect our lives directly.

are you in a crisis because you are worried about a crazed gunman walking up to you and opening fire? I'm not. Could it happen? Yeah, of course. Is it likely? Not really. Is acting like it's a crisis going to change it? Not really. Is there really any defense to random acts of violence? No not at all.

What has really changed because of this? Other than the shattered lives of the victims and their families, nothing really.

So why act like it's a crisis for me? It's not. It's another senseless act I have no control over and can't prepare for. If i worried about getting shot by a crazed gunman to the point where this was a crisis I would be unable to leave my house and even then that wouldnt solve anything.

I've grown up alot since 9/11. I've been preparing myself so that when trials come I won't be a victim, I'll be a leader ready to help others in their crisis.

Not every thing in life is a crisis.

Can the RW and the LW on THIS board show the rest of the country how its done?

If so, what would be necessary to accomplish this?

Note: Let's try not to start off with insults, rhetoric, false expectations, et al.

Of course we could. No problem at all. All that would be necessary would be for the left to concede to the demands of Sara Palin.

Yup, ridiculous. Why can't you realize that dissent is necessary to the system?

Of course we could. No problem at all. All that would be necessary would be for the left to concede to the demands of Sara Palin.

Yup, ridiculous. Why can't you realize that dissent is necessary to the system?

You can be civil and unified in having constructive discussion and still dissent.

Me being the cynic that I am I'd say the democrats are losing the PR battles hence the faux cries for "civil discourse." :lol::lol::lol::eusa_angel::cuckoo:

m14, that very last remark is what the president, I think, was trying to get across. We can't do that and think we are serving the memory of the joy, hope, magic, and goodness of a Christina Taylor Green.

Note: Let's try not to start off with insults, rhetoric, false expectations, et al.

If we start by getting people like you off the board we might have a chance, otherwise it is a waste of time.

With all due respect. After the way you've addressed us, after the insults you've hurled at us, after the names you called us? Do ya think?

Yes. Because anyone that's truly tired of the above would be at least be willing to give an honest try.

The benefit of the doubt and all that.

Jesus tells me I have to forgive you, he doesn't say a damn thing about trusting you. If you want to change your ways then feel free, but you are not currently demonstrating any change, just more of the same.

Yes, I am talking about your posts in this thread.

If we start by getting people like you off the board we might have a chance, otherwise it is a waste of time.
Thanks for slapping my extended hand of olive branch away Quantum. I really admire your respect for freedom of speech.

Sorry,
The difference between the right and the left is too great. Republicans are 90% white and based in the Confederate south. Obama's black may be only skin deep, their hatred is to the bone.

And right wing ideology overwhelms their sensibility. The support for the disastrous Iraqi war, the support for the apology to BP, the support for a leadership that calls unemployed members of their own base "hobos and druggies", the fact that the right wing shoots up Democratic campaign offices because a health care bill was passed that gives insurance to millions of children.

Simply the fact that the Republican base supports a party that worked vigorously to move millions of their jobs overseas to China is a perfect example. Would they show such support for a party whose leadership says publicly the president "pals around with terrorists" and "wasn't born here" if Obama wasn't black. It's only because Obama is black these charges even come up. It's crazy to think otherwise.
I understand your arguments all to well. I say lets attempt to understand them and to use all our efforts and energy to get them to understand us. Perhaps if we're both sincere, we can come to some sort of understanding.

I don't think the hate and the digging in of the heels in the sand is going to help any one of us...so we might as well use the powers of communication to get to some understanding with one another.

Sorry,

:clap2:

Leave it to rdean to provide the proof that the problem is not the right wing/conservative/Republican.

m14, that very last remark is what the president, I think, was trying to get across. We can't do that and think we are serving the memory of the joy, hope, magic, and goodness of a Christina Taylor Green.

Fuck the President. The Democrats had no trouble turning on Bush just a few weeks after 9/11. Maybe if they had done so earlier we would not be stuck with the PATRIOT Act. There is a price associated with civility, like everything else, and I think that price might just be too high for our society to pay.

Thanks for slapping my extended hand of olive branch away Quantum. I really admire your respect for freedom of speech.

You can say whatever you want. If, however, you think I have to listen you have no real idea what freedom of speech really means.

I'm not in crisis mode. Why exactly would I be? I pray and feel for the victims of the recent shootings but it doesnt put me in crisis mode. Why on earth should I fear and worry about anything?
Did you say this during/right after 9/11/2001?

Would you?

It's really not about you Avatar...that's the problem.

It's about ALL of America.

I hope you come to understand that.

Nope. Because 9/11 was significantly different and I was significantly younger and inexperienced.

9/11 was a coordinated attack by enemies who wanted to eliminate or cripple our Republic. It completely shifted the paradign of countless people, including myself, who at the time weren't really thinking these kinds of things could happen. We were also left with questions about whether there were other immediate attacks planned. Our lives and nation will be forever changed directly because of that attack.

Last weekend's shooting, despite how tragic it is, was not a coordinated attack by our enemies. It was the act of a derranged stalker and madman. It was a random act of violence. We dont have to worry about coconspirators making more attacks. It was murder. And murder, sadly is quite common. The reason this one is significant is because of the target and scope, not because it is something that will effect our lives directly.

are you in a crisis because you are worried about a crazed gunman walking up to you and opening fire? I'm not. Could it happen? Yeah, of course. Is it likely? Not really. Is acting like it's a crisis going to change it? Not really. Is there really any defense to random acts of violence? No not at all.

What has really changed because of this? Other than the shattered lives of the victims and their families, nothing really.

So why act like it's a crisis for me? It's not. It's another senseless act I have no control over and can't prepare for. If i worried about getting shot by a crazed gunman to the point where this was a crisis I would be unable to leave my house and even then that wouldnt solve anything.

I've grown up alot since 9/11. I've been preparing myself so that when trials come I won't be a victim, I'll be a leader ready to help others in their crisis.

Not every thing in life is a crisis.

You're absolutely correct. September 10th 2001 is a totally different America than today. Hard to pinpoint all the things, and even some of the things...but we're a different nation now. I find that people who're too young to remember America before 9/11 can't really wrap their heads around this concept, not their fault but it is still interesting. You'd probably have to go all the way back to Pearl Harbor to find an event that had as drastic of an effect on the nation.

This event while tragic, and horrible doesn't do that.

Ok rdean,
Here's your chance to step back and do what the President was talking about tonight:

Republicans' are all white Southerners?

This is an ACTUAL MAP of the ACTUAL RESULTS by county in the 2008 election:

countymapredbluer512.png

You want to keep with the stereotype?

Or join us in the real world?

fwiw that map demonstrates that the more densely populated a region is the more likely it is to vote democrat, and vice versa.

IOW the most social people tend to have the most social values while the most antisocial people the most antisocial values.

Do you concur?

Not at all.

Your cart breaks down on the interstate and you need to flag down some help.

Which area would you suspect is more anti-social (less inclined to stop and help you):

Alabama?

Or New York City?

If you can't understand English I can't help you.

Do you concur?

Oh, so then you must fuck off and die. For the good of the board of course.

You can say whatever you want. If, however, you think I have to listen you have no real idea what freedom of speech really means.

exactly! In your closet universe freedom of speech means being able to talk bullshit while everybody ignores you. Because you are a retard.

Fuck the President. The Democrats had no trouble turning on Bush just a few weeks after 9/11. Maybe if they had done so earlier we would not be stuck with the PATRIOT Act. There is a price associated with civility, like everything else, and I think that price might just be too high for our society to pay.

You do realize that the Patriot Act could have been vetoed by a Republican president right? Surely you're not implying that the Patriot Act was solely due to the Democrats?

Forum List

Back