Can USMB Be A Model Of BiPartisan Unity?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Can the RW and the LW on THIS board show the rest of the country how its done?

If so, what would be necessary to accomplish this?

Note: Let's try not to start off with insults, rhetoric, false expectations, et al.

Not while some people choose lies like accusing others of having assassination lists... while claiming to want an honest debate.... but those people are very funny. We laugh at them.

We're working on that now......

Rube-Goldberg-device.jpg

Can USMB Be A Model Of BiPartisan Unity?

:rofl:

Not without some draconian moderating, no. I have no faith in the people of USMB.

And anyways, troll scat is an essential component to a healthy and flourishing messageboard ecology.

Note: Let's try not to start off with insults, rhetoric, false expectations, et al.

With all due respect. After the way you've addressed us, after the insults you've hurled at us, after the names you called us? Do ya think?

Not while some people choose lies like accusing others of having assassination lists... while claiming to want an honest debate.... but those people are very funny. We laugh at them.

Will you accept my olive branch....?

Olive_branch.png

With all due respect. After the way you've addressed us, after the insults you've hurled at us, after the names you called us? Do ya think?

Yes. Because anyone that's truly tired of the above would be at least be willing to give an honest try.

The benefit of the doubt and all that.

Yes. Because anyone that's truly tired of the above would be at least be willing to give an honest try.

Umm.. No offense, because I don't normally dive in to your threads, but.. It's generally YOU who starts with the name-calling, insults, etc.

Just sayin...

Umm.. No offense, because I don't normally dive in to your threads, but.. It's generally YOU who starts with the name-calling, insults, etc.

Just sayin...
How about you...will you accept my olive branch?

Olive_branch.png

Are you an innocent here, Willow?

We could all do better.

Will you accept my olive branch....?

Olive_branch.png

Sure.

Praise God for that.

It's a two-way street from here on out. I won't be rude, disrespectful nor demeaning to you, and I don't expect you to be that way to me.

I will listen without defending, and I will speak without offending.

Deal?

Just sayin...

Ha!

Good Luck Marc.

It is human nature to lie to one's self when you just don't know the meaning of life or what happens when we die etc. To compensate creation myths, including those religions provide, and submission to alpha authority figures are employed. Tribes, families, nations, etc bind themselves together thru the practice of sharing common myths just as they share subservience to the same alpha authority figures.

Those who share the myths that you rely on are your people, those who don't are your enemies. A mixture of self preservation instinct, fear and the inner knowledge that the myths may not be true conspire to cause groups who share the same myths to destroy those whose competing myths threaten their own.

Primarily the dumb but to some degree almost all humans are wired to fulfill this age old social tradition.

Without this tradition we would not benefit from tight knit social groups, and we may not have ever survived as a species.

But because of this tradition we are constantly at war.

That's the way it has been for hundreds of thousands of years.

Humans lie and kill to survive. In fact deceit and murder are the currency of our survival. Just like all other carnivores.

Just sayin...

Dis, now I've already offered you an olive branch and I do not wish to dwell on any real or perceived negativity of the past.

However, is it possible that whenever you came across my insults that it was ongoing between myself and others and you just observed my end of it? Sorta like walking in on two people fighting to the death and seeing one man chocking another out, but not realizing or knowing that previously the other guy had him and/or his family at gunpoint moments before and you just came in on the tail end to witness the now choking?

Is that, at all, possible?

It would take honesty, civility, an acceptence of personal responsibility in every individual concerning their rhetoric, tone, and charity. It would require mutual forgiveness and alot of hard work.

Of course, it also depends what we are uniting behind.

I dream of the day we have unity. I've been working for it for years. It would be nice to be able to discuss matters of the day with intelligence, charity, and civility.

Good Luck Marc.

It is human nature to lie to one's self when you just don't know the meaning of life or what happens when we die etc. To compensate creation myths, including those religions provide, and submission to alpha authority figures are employed. Tribes, families, nations, etc bind themselves together thru the practice of sharing common myths just as they share subservience to the same alpha authority figures.

Those who share the myths that you rely on are your people, those who don't are your enemies. A mixture of self preservation instinct, fear and the inner knowledge that the myths may not be true conspire to cause groups who share the same myths to destroy those whose competing myths threaten their own.

Primarily the dumb but to some degree almost all humans are wired to fulfill this age old social tradition.

Without this tradition we would not benefit from tight knit social groups, and we may not have ever survived as a species.

But because of this tradition we are constantly at war.

That's the way it has been for hundreds of thousands of years.

Humans lie and kill to survive. In fact deceit and murder are the currency of our survival. Just like all other carnivores.
I understand your position, really I do. But we are in crisis mode. It's another "9/11" right now, and now is a time for unity.

So, I'm willing to try.

It would take honesty, civility, an acceptence of personal responsibility in every individual concerning their rhetoric, tone, and charity. It would require mutual forgiveness and alot of hard work.

Of course, it also depends what we are uniting behind.

I dream of the day we have unity. I've been working for it for years. It would be nice to be able to discuss matters of the day with intelligence, charity, and civility.
See, I believe we shouldn't be focusing so much on that aspect. That tends to lead to divisiveness. It sets up the "your on that side" and "I'm on this side" way of thinking and both sides shut out the other.

I believe the focus should be on attempting to listen and try to understand the other point.

It's either we're both demons or none of us are demons. Which one you prefer?

I understand your position, really I do. But we are in crisis mode. It's another "9/11" right now, and now is a time for unity.

So, I'm willing to try.

I'm not in crisis mode. Why exactly would I be? I pray and feel for the victims of the recent shootings but it doesnt put me in crisis mode. Why on earth should I fear and worry about anything?

Just sayin...

Dis, now I've already offered you an olive branch and I do not wish to dwell on any real or perceived negativity of the past.

However, is it possible that whenever you came across my insults that it was ongoing between myself and others and you just observed my end of it? Sorta like walking in on two people fighting to the death and seeing one man chocking another out, but not realizing or knowing that previously the other guy had him and/or his family at gunpoint moments before and you just came in on the tail end to witness the now choking?

Is that, at all, possible?

Actually, probably not, since I'm going off your opening threads, or your reply to whomever posts in your threads first. But, hey.. I'm not going to stick around to see how this one plays out, either. Good luck.

Forum List

Back