Can Reps modify abortion stance?

USwings

Independent
Nov 7, 2012
Abortion is a losing issue on a national level for Reps. It's trying to impose moral values on a majority that doesn't want it. It's seeking a political remedy for what is considered a religious issue. 50% of Catholics voted for Obama. Reps seem to be all over the board on the issue while trying to avoid the subject. I think we need a clear, this is what we stand for, message. There are over 1 million abortions in the US every year. We are not outlawing abortion we are moving forward with government sponsored abortion. There is no magic wand to stop abortion, why not use tactics that have a chance of success.

Abortion is a losing issue on a national level for Reps...

When public opinion is turning more and more against unrestricted abortion, that hardly seems the case.

Only a total fucking idiot and retarded moron believes there is "unrestricted abortion". Glad that's not you. So what was it you actually meant? Before you made a misprint?

No. It's their bread-and-butter get out the vote issue. Talk it up ad nasseum during the campaign ... and then crickets chirpping until next election cycle.

50% of Catholics voted for Obama...

That's because a large portion of that was Latinos and unmarried women, who broke for obama in large numbers.

Exactly what I have pointed out many times. Hispanics/Latinos are natural born Republicans. They are hard working, deeply religious, and family oriented.

The GOP is missing the boat, bigtime.

50% of Catholics voted for Obama...

That's because a large portion of that was Latinos and unmarried women, who broke for obama in large numbers.

Exactly what I have pointed out many times. Hispanics/Latinos are natural born Republicans. They are hard working, deeply religious, and family oriented.

The GOP doesn't want Latinos. I've had posters on this site say they'd rather the party die off than "compromise their beliefs" to include Latinos.

The GOP doesn't want Latinos.

Don't let partisanship make you stupid.

Abortion is a losing issue on a national level for Reps. It's trying to impose moral values on a majority that doesn't want it. It's seeking a political remedy for what is considered a religious issue. 50% of Catholics voted for Obama. Reps seem to be all over the board on the issue while trying to avoid the subject. I think we need a clear, this is what we stand for, message. There are over 1 million abortions in the US every year. We are not outlawing abortion we are moving forward with government sponsored abortion. There is no magic wand to stop abortion, why not use tactics that have a chance of success.

If you believe abortion is murder, that is not something you ever compromise on. A person who believes abortion is murder would be as likely to compromise on that position as you would be likely to compromise that shooting random strangers in the head is murder.

However...

Two thirds of Americans are opposed to abortion in the second trimester. Since about half of all Americans say they are pro-life, and half say they are pro-choice, the two thirds polling number means there is a giant overlap to be found between the pro-life and pro-choice positions.

Where there is a middle ground, there is a compromise to be found. A compromise doe s not automatically mean one has to compromise their principles. But just try getting that across to some of the more extreme people in either camp!

Hoo boy. I have tried.

Boy have I tried.

So we have to stop letting the extremists control the conversation. An energetic extremist has a way of getting even the most level headed person all heated up and then that person finds themselves moving to the opposite pole. Extremists literally cause the abortion issue to be a polarizing one.

The "rape and incest" question is one such example of a polarizing weapon used by both sides. Once the rape/incest gauntlet is thrown down, the 99 percent of abortions which have nothing to do with rape or incest are forgotten. And thus no one is talking about how to reduce that number.

I just recently had a very emotionally charged discussion with a fellow pro-lifer who is very close to me. When I suggested that we could eliminate half of all the million-plus abortions each year simply by getting more women to use birth control, his response was, "Which 500,000 babies do you want to die?"

This is the ridiculous kind of arguing we need to move away from.

Half of all abortions are the result of no birth control of any kind being used during the sex act which led to the unwanted pregnancy.

Clearly this is a middle ground we can work on.

The republican majority recognizes that Roe v. Wade is the law of the land regardless of how flawed it is. Most republicans don't have a problem with abortion in the case of rape or incest. Most republicans are against late term abortion and taxpayer funded abortion as well as taxpayer funded condoms for poor coeds who seem to run out of them. Even sleaze ball Bill Clinton offered a political opinion that abortion should be rare. Is that the definition of the word "modify" that you are looking for?

The so called "abortion stance" of the Republicans and what the left maintains is our "abortion stance" are two different things.

It’s also seeking a political 'remedy' for what is settled Constitutional case law.

Which affords republicans an easy out:

Republicans simply need to acknowledge the right to privacy limiting government authority – something conservatives should want to do otherwise – and advocate against abortion using their First Amendment right to free expression. End the nonsense concerning ‘ban abortion’ amendments, ‘personhood’ legislation, and ‘legitimate rape,’ and sit back and enjoy young and female voters voting republican again.

The GOP doesn't want Latinos. I've had posters on this site say they'd rather the party die off than "compromise their beliefs" to include Latinos.

I think it's the other way around, Amy. Hell; even Cuban-Americans, a Republican-faithful base since the Bay of Pigs debacle, went majority Obama. Astonishing loss to the Republicans, who best rethink whether winning the South for generations, is losing them votes everywhere else. Even Texas is on life support for the GOP. Colorado, gonzo. California, never again, even with Reagan-like GOP candidate.

Hate is stupid, and not without certain drawbacks. Time for the GOP to smarten up, albeit McConnell and Boehner aren't giving me much hope in that regard.

Forum List

Back