Can Justices On The Supreme Court Phone It In????

It’s irresponsible for her to vote without being well informed. Where’s the checks and balances?

CalmGrippingLarva-max-1mb.gif

upreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg voted against President Donald Trump’s proposed immigrant asylum restrictions from the hospital where she had cancer surgery Friday, according to media reports.

NBC reported that Ginsburg voted from her hospital bed. National Public Radio and Mother Jones magazine said she cast the decisive vote in the 5-4 decision against the Trump administration shortly after her surgery to remove two cancerous nodules from her lungs. The ruling blocks the Trump administration from implementing new rules prohibiting people from seeking asylum if they cross the border illegally.

By Friday night Ginsburg, 85, was sitting up in her chair and calling friends, NPR reported.

Read more at huffingtonpost.com

upreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg voted against President Donald Trump’s proposed immigrant asylum restrictions from the hospital where she had cancer surgery Friday, according to media reports.

NBC reported that Ginsburg voted from her hospital bed. National Public Radio and Mother Jones magazine said she cast the decisive vote in the 5-4 decision against the Trump administration shortly after her surgery to remove two cancerous nodules from her lungs. The ruling blocks the Trump administration from implementing new rules prohibiting people from seeking asylum if they cross the border illegally.

By Friday night Ginsburg, 85, was sitting up in her chair and calling friends, NPR reported.

So I guess they can phone it in, amazing.

Congress does a lot of things by voice vote and has active procedural hearings with back and forth discussions. I imagine that's why congress is the last one to the party of conducting business remotely.

So I guess they can phone it in, amazing.

This is the third time she's had cancer so she is unlikely to be around much longer. Given that she wants to die in harness, let her.

Swell. So she didn't hear the arguments, just phoned in her "I hate Trump phone call. What a waste of space on that court.
Phones have a receiver so you can hear whats being said. They even have conference phones so you dont have to hold the phone up to your ear.
And if that woman had her job in her hospital bed with her, when she should be more concerned with her health, family, and prognosis (more so than any job or materialism that she won't be taking with her on her journey out of here), then she is crazy as a bat. How desperate was that on her part ??
People that telecommute typically are pretty relaxed. I know because I did it for years.

Ginsberg voted today on the decision to knock down Trumps policy on asylum seekers who enter the country unlawfully. I'm curious how she participated from her hospital bed? I can't find anything online.

Thoughts?
It's not a vote, per se.

The Justices get briefs on the cases they accept and then have their clerks research the pertinent laws that may or may not apply. They then provide this information to the Justice they clerk for and then the Justice writes up their own particular ruling that is either an overturning of the case or a rejection of the case.

However, all this is done ahead of the release of the verdict and each Justice has their conclusion read into the findings.

It was portrayed as a 5-4 vote, my question is must a judge be present to vote?

Doesnt that question answer itself? If she wasn't physically onsite the answer must be yes or a special provision was made for her.

It’s irresponsible for her to vote without being well informed. Where’s the checks and balances?
She has a staff that informs her. I know you havent ever been in any position important in your life but at these levels people delegates a lot or they drive themselves crazy.

Ginsberg voted today on the decision to knock down Trumps policy on asylum seekers who enter the country unlawfully. I'm curious how she participated from her hospital bed? I can't find anything online.

Thoughts?
It's not a vote, per se.

The Justices get briefs on the cases they accept and then have their clerks research the pertinent laws that may or may not apply. They then provide this information to the Justice they clerk for and then the Justice writes up their own particular ruling that is either an overturning of the case or a rejection of the case.

However, all this is done ahead of the release of the verdict and each Justice has their conclusion read into the findings.

Doesnt that question answer itself? If she wasn't physically onsite the answer must be yes or a special provision was made for her.

I asked because news reports said she voted, they didn't say when or from where. We now know she voted absentee, I wasn't aware that was possible. So no the it didn't answer itself, the vote could have taken place before she traveled to NY. So we all learned something.

Thoughts?
It's not a vote, per se.

I asked because news reports said she voted, they didn't say when or from where. We now know she voted absentee, I wasn't aware that was possible. So no the it didn't answer itself, the vote could have taken place before she traveled to NY. So we all learned something.

If you didnt know where she voted from why did you claim she voted from her hospital bed?

"I'm curious how she participated from her hospital bed?"

Thoughts?
It's not a vote, per se.

If you didnt know where she voted from why did you claim she voted from her hospital bed?

Sorry you too ignorant to see that was a question, not a statement of fact. Notice the question mark at the end of the sentence.

It's not a vote, per se.

Sorry you too ignorant to see that was a question, not a statement of fact. Notice the question mark at the end of the sentence.
No it was a statement of fact. If it was a question then it would have been something like "Was she in a hospital bed when she voted?" Your question assumed that in fact she was in a hospital bed when she voted. Your ignorance is plainly on display.

No it was a statement of fact. If it was a question then it would have been something like "Was she in a hospital bed when she voted?" Your question assumed that in fact she was in a hospital bed when she voted. Your ignorance is plainly on display.

Move along troll, only losers try to play semantics games.

Dont be mad you were lazy with your OP. Next time do better and I wont have any mistakes to correct for you. :rolleyes:

"You OK?" is a question, doofus. Grammar's not your strong point! Has to do with intonation and stuff.

Greg

Don't be mad that you were lazy with your OP. Next time do better and I won't have any mistakes to correct for you. :rolleyes:

Don't be mad that you were lazy with your OP. Next time do better and I won't have any mistakes to correct for you.

Only three errors in one sentence; spelling nazis always fvck up bigly in the end. lmao

Greg

Don't be mad that you were lazy with your OP. Next time do better and I won't have any mistakes to correct for you. :rolleyes:

Don't be mad that you were lazy with your OP. Next time do better and I won't have any mistakes to correct for you.

Only three errors in one sentence; spelling nazis always fvck up bigly in the end. lmao

Greg
No stupid. You dont need to add "that" you fucking clown. :rolleyes:

You didnt answer my question. What does the 1800's have to do with your OP?

You didn't answer mine either, plus you provided no link to support your assertion in your first post. You opinion is worthless.

I did answer your question. I gave you several ways the judge could have voted.

No, you provided no evidence a judge can vote absentee. It wouldn't have mattered in this case, but it could effect future decisions.

i can only find that she ruled b4 having her surgery... there is nothing that suggests it was 'absentee' meaning she was in the hospital or even at home. however if she was 'working' from home.... like i said, teleconferencing is a very effective tool. so is skype.

The question isn't what's effective, the question is can it be utilized? I don't understand the aversion to learning something. It was just a simple question and I'd like to know the answer. With the advancing ages of several of the judges, I just want to know how it will work if an illness strikes that keeps them from the bench.

i don't see why not. some people aren't actually in the courtroom during a trial yet are very much involved as if they were. a physical presence shouldn't be a barrier.

Forum List

Back