Can Any Dem/lib Tell Us What Agency The Govt Has Run Efficiently?

Tens of thousands of babies in the 1950s-'60s were born with deformities like this from Thalidomide:​

220px-NCP14053.jpg

Happened all over the world in over 40 countries. Didn't happen in the U.S.

Why not? Because the FDA put up a stop sign. And they were right.

This is Frances Kelsey of the FDA who put up that stop sign receiving the President's Award for Distinguished Citizen Service for doing that. She just turned 100 years old this summer.

170px-Kelsey_01.jpg

I'm not sure what that has to do with "the economy" but there ya go.

Great story, but off topic. Was the FDA efficient in banning that drug? "efficient" not "effective". DOD for the most part is effective, but it is never efficient.

You see, again, you confuse efficiency for effectiveness.

If the right Wing had its way, Thalidomide would have been approved and they'd have made millions on it. That would be efficient, but not effective.

Most of them.
Most government agencies couldn't find their backsides with both hands in a well-lit room surrounded by mirrors.

Oftentimes staffed by dull, unimaginative, self-seeking bureaucratic and calendar-watching pension-sniffers, bellying-up to the trough for their unfair share of budget dollars, territorial, secretive, self-promoting, self-preserving, overlapping and wasteful, many of those same departments need a thorough housecleaning, mission and charter review, new performance indicators and outcomes evaluation, new and more visible and transparent public accountability, and, in some cases, closure, consolidation or downsizing.

Uh-huh.

Unlike the Private Sector, which are run by the cream of the crop.

frankly, I've seen more incompetence in the private sector than I've ever seen in the government.
It's much easier to fire incompetents in the private sector as you know only too well.

Dollar for dollar, America offers the most effective and efficient government on the planet, doing so for about 20 cents on the dollar nationally, 28 cents if you include state and local taxes.

The OP is parroting a talking point. If he isn't maybe he can prove the above WRONG and/or name another country that can match or best those figures.

Most of them.
Most government agencies couldn't find their backsides with both hands in a well-lit room surrounded by mirrors.

Oftentimes staffed by dull, unimaginative, self-seeking bureaucratic and calendar-watching pension-sniffers, bellying-up to the trough for their unfair share of budget dollars, territorial, secretive, self-promoting, self-preserving, overlapping and wasteful, many of those same departments need a thorough housecleaning, mission and charter review, new performance indicators and outcomes evaluation, new and more visible and transparent public accountability, and, in some cases, closure, consolidation or downsizing.

Uh-huh.

frankly, I've seen more incompetence in the private sector than I've ever seen in the government.
It's much easier to fire incompetents in the private sector as you know only too well.

They fired lots of folks at Lehman..how'd that work out?

How's Enron doing these days?

How about Arthur Anderson?

Dollar for dollar, America offers the most effective and efficient government on the planet, doing so for about 20 cents on the dollar nationally, 28 cents if you include state and local taxes.

The OP is parroting a talking point. If he isn't maybe he can prove the above WRONG and/or name another country that can match or best those figures.

The OP ran away from his own thread and challenge.

Give up, guys. Red would not concede that the Coast Guard is efficient if they pulled him out of a whirlpool with a rope and life preserver.

Your wasting your time those who believe more government is the answer to every problem will always believe that. Can the government do things yes that said when was the last time any government run project came in on time or ahead of schedule and on budget or dare I say under budget?

I work in the financial industry.

Is this new?

Last I heard you were in IT.

No.

Didn't you say you work in the financial industry as well?

You know those home grown applications you use to look up stuff?

Someone has to write them, support them and make sure you can connect to them.

You think it's magic?

:lol:

I see.

Usually, when someone says they're in the financial industry, it means that they actually work in the financial industry.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

[]It's much easier to fire incompetents in the private sector as you know only too well.

Um, no, not really. I've seen incompetents promoted and I've seen really good people fired or driven to quit.

But you live in an ex-communist shithole because you couldn't even meet that low standard.
I know we don't have your murder rate, drug problems, gangs, homelessness, fat women and corrupt politicians (well...not as corrupt anyway), but you're the only one I've ever heard calling Prague a shit hole. With Chicago, that's simply a given.

You've been fired several times because of incompetence as we all know. You should have been a postal worker because I don't think you could even cut it at Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
I work in the financial industry.

Is this new?

Last I heard you were in IT.

No.

Didn't you say you work in the financial industry as well?

You know those home grown applications you use to look up stuff?

Someone has to write them, support them and make sure you can connect to them.

You think it's magic?

:lol:

I see.

Usually, when someone says they're in the financial industry, it means that they actually work in the financial industry.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

No worries.

Go down to the bowels (The data center) every so often and say hello to the fellows.

They probably would appreciate it.

:thup:

Your wasting your time those who believe more government is the answer to every problem will always believe that. Can the government do things yes that said when was the last time any government run project came in on time or ahead of schedule and on budget or dare I say under budget?

The moon landing, seriously, can anyone name a major government project that was on time and under budget since that time?

The moon landing, seriously, can anyone name a major government project that was on time and under budget since that time?
There may be some but they are the exception not the rule.

Most of them.

Uh-huh.

My experience has been pretty much the reverse.

As have the experiences of a great many others, else the stereotyping of government agencies would never have gained such traction.

Private companies have a bottom-line indicator of success... their bottom line.

Government agencies can operate inefficiently (sometimes, grotesquely inefficiently) for decades on end, without fear of closure, because of a guaranteed revenue stream.

And a highly politicized and pro forma Performance Review process.

You know as well as I do that these fundamental differences between the public and private sectors contribute-to and sustain the inefficiency of a great many government agencies.

This is not to say that there are not legions of dedicated public servants within that sector who are largely devoted to their country and service to their countrymen.

But to ignore the grotesque inefficiencies and problematic operations of so many of these agencies is to ignore the 10-ton elephant in the room.

We have the strongest military in the history of mankind, safe food and drugs, we went to the moon, we have made major strides in protecting our environment, government funded R&D in medicine, science and technology

I will take our government over any government on earth

Anyone want to argue with me?

You guys keep ranting about turning all of medicine over to the government. What has the government ever run efficiently? the post office? DOD? Social security? medicare? welfare? border security? the budget?

Why would you want to turn more of our economy over to them?
The Federal government operates very efficiently, that you perceive otherwise is subjective, partisan and wrong.

Indeed, when Federal departments and agencies experience difficulties, it's most often the consequence of budget cuts and staff reductions at the behest of republicans.

Prior to its privatization, for example, the Post Office operated extremely efficiently; which goes to the fact that there are certain services which are more appropriate for the government to address, such as delivering mail to every American regardless where he lives, public assistance and social services programs, National defense, education, and various regulatory responsibilities which have contributed to the success of private businesses and the health and safety of private citizens, including administering healthcare programs.

This ridiculous conservative paradigm of perceiving everything as simply being black or white, either/or, is one of many reasons why rightwing dogma fails, as the best approach is a pragmatic approach, where the private sector addresses that which it does well, and the public sector likewise addresses what it does well – a blend of public and private to the advantage of all the American people.

And one of the most efficient and successful Federal programs has been Medicare, where there already exists a proven process that can be expanded to all Americans, providing all Americans access to affordable healthcare:

“Despite competition and choice in the private insurance system, Medicare spending has grown more slowly than private insurance premiums for comparable coverage for more than 30 years.

From 1970 to 2009, Medicare spending per beneficiary grew by an average of 1 percentage point less each year than comparable private insurance premiums. Between 2000 and 2009, Medicare’s cost advantage was even larger—its spending per beneficiary grew at an average annual rate of 5.1 percent while per-capita premiums for private health insurance plans grew at 7.2 percent, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. […]”

Medicare is still more cost-efficient than private insurance

Forum List

Back